7mm 168 gr hammer hunter

What cartridge is the rifle chambered in that you will be reloading for? Also what twist rate is your barrel? The 169 hammer hunter requires a 1.8.5 twist.

Last edited:
Cahunter is correct. If your twist rate is not 1:8, you will want to drop to a lower weight bullet. The great thing about Hammers is their customer service. If you call them they will switch out your bullets to a lighter weight.
Good luck

The customer service at Hammer is top notch. Give them a call, likely you will reach one of the owners, Brian or Steve. With your twist rate, they may suggest the 146gr Hammer Hunter (as Cahunter805 stated) or the 150gr Shock Hammer. They will also point you to some powders to try along with starting grain weights.

Hammers are just plain simple to tune. I was done with load development at 15 rounds.

Just talked to one of my buddies that works for weatherby, mark V accumarks are 1:9:5, thank you Cahunter805. (Go stangs)

Well wasn’t factoring in the coppers we’re going to be longer than my go to Berger vld 168s. Hopefully I’ll be able to return the 168s for 146 in the HH.
Thank you everyone for the prime advice.

Just talked to one of my buddies that works for weatherby, mark V accumarks are 1:9:5, thank you Cahunter805. (Go stangs)

Well wasn’t factoring in the coppers we’re going to be longer than my go to Berger vld 168s. Hopefully I’ll be able to return the 168s for 146 in the HH.
Thank you everyone for the prime advice.
Steve and Brian will take care of you. mtmuley

You won’t lose out on any performance gain from the slightly lower BC of the lighter/shorter bullet. The gain in speed will likely negate any advantage the 168 would have in a 7mag even if it had the right twist. The 168s have a fairly good BC for a mono bullet, but I wouldn’t consider it high enough to worry about missing out on any performance. Velocity helps the copper expand properly on animals, so you’re better off with the lighter and faster bullet even if has lower BC. It’s almost a different philosophy of performance and ballistics than a Berger vld.
Steve is a great guy and I love shooting his bullets. I was planning on shooting 215 bergers in my 300wm but have been using 181 hammers and they are a great hunting round.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom