7mm 200yd zero

Ta2joe

Need some help/advice. I just picked up a new bdc scope for my 7mm and need ( want?) to zero it at 200yds. Problem is I only have access to 100yd range. Where should i pin it at 100yd? Ive been looking all over at ballistics calculators, websites, asking people. Im finding answers ranging from 1 to 3 inches but no real definitive. Figured who better to ask than hunters on a site dedicated to deer that are often at range.

Im pushing 140gr prvi partizans. Please no 'set it at 2 inches and itll be good out to 300'. A great tip for sure but i want a 200yd zero not so much of a flat holdover zone.

Thanks in advance.

Only you would know what that will be. After you chronograph your load and build a chart. After you get your chart you then need to verify your info. It will tell you your bullet flight out to whatever you set it at. Most like you will print it to 1000 yards. It will tell you energy out to that yardage you want and Velocity. Each gun will shoot different so no one can tell you where your gun shoots.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-18 AT 08:21AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly I dont have a chronograph and have no intention to ever shoot 1000yd. And i know bullet load info but as was stated in the initial post... ive done calculators and charts and am getting everything on the map. Knowing people like you are out there fine dialing these things down to the grain of the powder, Im looking for some educated advice.

Yes rifles vary.... but it wont vary so much that if you were to tell me to put it at 2 inches i would really need 3 inches. That would be a superbly worn out rifle lol

I can look up your bullet's BC but I can only guess at the scope height and velocity.

I could give more info if I had all the needed info for your question.

Let's ASSume you're going 3200 fps and the bullet has a BC of .434, temp is 60, elevation is 6500', centerline of the scope is 1.5" and the barometric pressure is 29.53.......then you'd need to be 1.2" high at 100 for a 200 yard zero.

Zeke

#livelikezac

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-18 AT 11:05AM (MST)[p]How long is a chinaman

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>I can look up your bullet's
>BC but I can only
>guess at the scope height
>and velocity.
>
>I could give more info if
>I had all the needed
>info for your question.
>
>Let's ASSume you're going 3200 fps
>and the bullet has a
>BC of .434, temp is
>60, elevation is 6500', centerline
>of the scope is 1.5"
>and the barometric pressure is
>29.53.......then you'd need to be
>1.2" high at 100 for
>a 200 yard zero.
>
>Zeke
>
>#livelikezac

Thanks for the reply, I've been finding similar numbers so guess well just see how it goes. But I'm seeing it was a pointless venture as any real advice is not gonna really be shared as most would rather just be obstructive.

Was hoping somone had real experience and could share person experience.

>>I can look up your bullet's
>>BC but I can only
>>guess at the scope height
>>and velocity.
>>
>>I could give more info if
>>I had all the needed
>>info for your question.
>>
>>Let's ASSume you're going 3200 fps
>>and the bullet has a
>>BC of .434, temp is
>>60, elevation is 6500', centerline
>>of the scope is 1.5"
>>and the barometric pressure is
>>29.53.......then you'd need to be
>>1.2" high at 100 for
>>a 200 yard zero.
>>
>>Zeke
>>
>>#livelikezac
>
>Thanks for the reply, I've been
>finding similar numbers so guess
>well just see how it
>goes. But I'm seeing it
>was a pointless venture as
>any real advice is not
>gonna really be shared as
>most would rather just be
>obstructive.
>
>Was hoping somone had real experience
>and could share person experience.
>

You were given the answer. You can read and calculate all you want, until you actually field test it it's all an approximation. So I'll ask again. Do you have a vehicle?

#livelikezac

..."someone with real experience".

Now that's funny right there!

I KNOW me and some of the guys on here and the advice given is of great value and backed by YEARS of real-world experience!!!

Take it for what it's worth.

Zeke

#livelikezac

seriously....you asked an unanswerable question....without knowing speed no one can give you an answer.

7mm mauser?
7mm RM?
7mm Ultra mag?
7mm weatherby mag?
etc...etc...etc....

even just one of those answers would have allowed someone to estimate your bullet velocity....then give you a guess

zeke pointed out several things that needed to be answered.

Your first response was dead on with the info available.....1-3"

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

7mm rm

(Acccording to their website prvi partizan)

mv:3110

Yes I have a vehicle

Temp unknown

Elevation: southeast
nebraska soooo 0? Lol

Most of ballistic info was put into an edit of original post.... edit didnt save aparently.

>7mm rm
>
>(Acccording to their website prvi partizan)
>
>
>mv:3110
>
>Yes I have a vehicle
>
>Temp unknown
>
>Elevation: southeast
> nebraska soooo 0? Lol
>
>Most of ballistic info was put
>into an edit of original
>post.... edit didnt save aparently.
>

Okay, I'll re-calculate tomorrow based on that info. What's a good avarage temp during your hunt? Like 40 degrees?
Zeke
#livelikezac

Forgive Homer...he hates Utards.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

1.2? high at 100 is about perfect and should get you plenty close to a 200 yard zero. Your muzzle velocity might not be 3100 though. Depending on a number of factors it could be higher or lower.
You need to find yourself a place that you can shoot and test the BDC reticle vs real world drops anyway. Also I'd suggest a chronograph or at least maybe borrow one.

>Yes I have a vehicle
>

Then drive somewhere were you can confirm its zeroed at 200. You can calc it to death and it'll be just as close as me telling you to set it 1.75 inches high at 100. Until you actually shoot it at paper at 200 you'll never be 100% certain. I'm guessin you got a hide that's exactly 200yds from where you expect him to walk out. You'll likely only get 1 shot at it so I'd confirm it before that time comes. Good luck!

P.S. Zeke's a guy that's probably forgotten more about this subject than you or I will likely know. You'd do well to stay in his good graces.
If you get it done, come back and share some pics with us.

#livelikezac

Thanks for replies. I realize there is no THE ANSWER. I'm just looking for what real people use. Any info found is " i think..../it should be..../I heard...." valuable in it's own right but a "for me.../mine is at..." If I'm lucky someone should have 7mm rm using same round( unlikely as that is lol)

Like you said calculators are just that... numbers. And each one I try using same info gives me a dofferant number lol. I'm just curious where people who use a 7mm rm and 200yrd zero are at. If there are any here.

As for having an exact 200yard shot where they'll walk out... what you dont have that kind of knowledge? How can you hunt if you dont knkw exactly what spot they'll walk out. I've already got the exact room in my freezer for the exact weight of meat I'll be adding.

But really... looking for the 200yrd zero so can utilize the bdc. Otherwise with a 7mm rm... 1.5 to 2 inches puts a fairly solid hold out to 300.

Okay, I see what you want.
You want ?real world? anacdotal stories of how someone else?s rifle shoots a specific load with a 200 yard zero. Silly!

Believe it or not, this won't get you ?there? any better than those fancy calculators since barrel lengths vary and even rifle chambered for the same cartridge with same barrel length will have sometimes significantly different velocity outputs.

As for your comment ?how do you hunt if you don't know where they walk out?
is just rich. Lol. My scope has a dial or strata lines as I never KNOW where they're going to walk out and I've been at this game a long time.

Okay, I'm now done as I cannot hand you what you want since I shoot old 139 Hornady or 150 Ballistic Tips in my 7 mm Rem Mag and have a longer zero range.

Go shoot your damn gun!

Zeke

#livelikezac

I'm beginning to understand how homer feels and why he pops off with the one-liners.
His posts are looking better all the time!

Zeke

#livelikezac

>
>
>As for your comment ?how do
>you hunt if you don't
>know where they walk out?
>
>is just rich. Lol. My scope
>has a dial or strata
>lines as I never KNOW
>where they're going to walk
>out and I've been at
>this game a long time.
>
>
>

Yea... it was a joke. But you taking that seriously maybe tells me what I need to know.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-18 AT 03:35AM (MST)[p]Sounds like you need to take some of the good advice given to you and go test it yourself. Set it whatever height at 100 YOU deem correct. Then go shoot it at 200 and see if it's zeroed. If not adjust til it is. Then do yourself a favor. Shot the BDC reticle as far as you want and see how close those dots/lines are. Make notes and be sure to practice a lot.
Or don't take any of the good advice given and carry on. Good luck.

The Hornady ballistics calculator will get you "close". But if you're looking for real world advice, listen to Zeke and some other advice already given.

hwy

BTW Joe, the elevation in SE Nebraska is not zero. A 10 second google search shows that Lincoln is around 1176'.
You're welcome.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-18 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]I sight my 7mm Rem in three inches high at 100 yards which puts me dead on at 260 with my hand loads using 160 gr Nosler Accubonds or Partitions. Muzzle velocity is about 2925-2950.. Can hold top of hairline on bull for vital hit at about 450.

After reading all of these posts I can't help but laugh.... Zeke is always my first call when I have a gun question and has done quite a bit of work on guns for me, my family and friends. His advice is solid.

You live in Nebraska and can't find somewhere to shoot past 100 yards? In that case God luck finding deer! Lol

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I use this calculator as a starting point for my different loads:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

It's usually pretty close, but I do know the specifics about each of my guns and the BC and weight of the bullets, shoot through a chronograph so I know the average velocities, and know the elevation. My real world experience tells me that if you tinker with any one of those variables, you'll significantly change the POI.

>BTW Joe, the elevation in SE
>Nebraska is not zero. A
>10 second google search shows
>that Lincoln is around 1176'.
>
>You're welcome.

I know... it's a joke about how flat it is.

Elevation! Heck I once summited the highest peak in Nebraska and Kansas on the same afternoon!

Hasbean

>After reading all of these posts
>I can't help but laugh....
>Zeke is always my first
>call when I have a
>gun question and has done
>quite a bit of work
>on guns for me, my
>family and friends. His advice
>is solid.
>
>You live in Nebraska and can't
>find somewhere to shoot past
>100 yards? In that case
>God luck finding deer! Lol
>
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I am not currently in Nebraksa.

>Elevation! Heck I once
>summited the highest peak in
>Nebraska and Kansas on the
>same afternoon!
>
>Hasbean

Lmao. Yea its maybe not best practice for summiting Everest...

A couple years ago I had my 300 Win Mag sighted dead on at 200 yards at 4000 ft. elevation. As luck would have it a storm blew in and it got foggy. I was forced to drop down to the 3000 ft. elevation to get under it. A buck stepped out at exactly 212 yards. By the time I recalculated my zero the buck got bored and wandered off. It was very frustrating.

>A couple years ago I had
>my 300 Win Mag sighted
>dead on at 200 yards
>at 4000 ft. elevation. As
>luck would have it a
>storm blew in and it
>got foggy. I was forced
>to drop down to the
>3000 ft. elevation to get
>under it. A buck stepped
>out at exactly 212 yards.
>By the time I recalculated
>my zero the buck got
>bored and wandered off. It
>was very frustrating.

??
#livelikezac

The derivative of any polynomial function of one variable is easily obtained. If c∈R (or a constant function) and f,g D→R are both differentiable on some set D′ , then so are c⋅f , f+g , −f , and f⋅g . If, in addition, g is nonzero on D′ , then 1g (and also fg) are differentiable on D′ . Also, if f is differentiable on g(D′), then f∘g is differentiable on D′ . For the trivial case of f(x)=a , for some constant a (a degree 0 polynomial):

a′=0 [Proof]
For any r∈R :

(xr)′=rxr−1 [Proof]
Which covers any single variable polynomial function. Derivatives of non-polynomial functions require additional rules.

For any real-valued differentiable functions f(x),g(x) :

(a⋅f(x))′=a⋅f′(x) [Proof]
(f(x)?g(x))′=f′(x)?g′(x) [Proof]
(−f(x))′=−f′(x)
(f(x)⋅g(x))′=f′(x)g(x)+f(x)g′(x) (Product rule)
(1g(x))′=−g′(x)g(x)2
(f(x)g(x))′=f′(x)g(x)−f(x)g′(x)g(x)2 (Quotient rule)
(f∘g)′=(f(g(x)))′=(f′(g))⋅g′(x) (Chain rule)

Trigonometric functions above is for a FFP BDC Scope. Below is for SFP Scope.

ddx(sin(x))=cos(x) [Proof]
ddx(cos(x))=−sin(x)
ddx(tan(x))=sec2(x)
ddx(csc(x))=−csc(x)cot(x)
ddx(sec(x))=sec(x)tan(x)
ddx(cot(x))=−csc2(x)
ddx(arcsin(x))=11−x2−−−−−√
ddx(arccos(x))=−11−x2−−−−−√
ddx(arctan(x))=11+x2
ddx(arcsec(x))=1|x|x2−1−−−−−√
ddx(arccsc(x))=−1|x|x2−1−−−−−√
ddx(arccot(x))=−11+x2

Below is adjustment if sighting in @ 200yds in another State:
ddx(ex)=ex
ddx(ax)=axln(a)
ddx(ln(x))=1x [Proof]
ddx(loga(x))=1ln(a)x

Hugs
Jagerdad

My app says 1.4" high at 100 will give you a 200 yard zero with that ammo. That is a good place to start, then take it out in the field and verify that it is hitting where it's supposed to at 200, 300, etc.

2a0fcsk.gif

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-18 AT 03:52AM (MST)[p]>My app says 1.4" high at
>100 will give you a
>200 yard zero with that
>ammo. That is a good
>place to start, then take
>it out in the field
>and verify that it is
>hitting where it's supposed to
>at 200, 300, etc.
>
>
2a0fcsk.gif

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I was after. Bc one app/calculator would spit out 1.3-1.5in while another would spit 2.5+. I assumed possible this was taking into acct the 1.5in rise of scope mount but many had the scope height punched in and still all over with the range of 100yd rise. Lol

It's all good. I'm in a unique spot that shooting over 100yd is not possible at the moment. Just trying to dial in prior to heading back for the hunt so I'm not scrambling or rushing it prior to actully putting lead to deer( hopefully).

On a side note... what app are you using?

Wow! Talk about overthinking. Unless you're shooting at houseflies, sight in 1.5 inches high at 100 and call it good!!! If your hitting an inch or so high or low that deer will be just as dead. If you're worried about milimeters difference in drop,what about windage? Good gawd and Judas Priest!!

So after all the sniping we're right back to where we started and you're content with that? Sounds about right.

#livelikezac

>Wow! Talk about overthinking. Unless you're
>shooting at houseflies, sight in
>1.5 inches high at 100
>and call it good!!! If
>your hitting an inch or
>so high or low that
>deer will be just as
>dead. If you're worried about
>milimeters difference in drop,what about
>windage? Good gawd and Judas
>Priest!!

Yea I know. Pretty sure its undiagnosed OCD lol. I get hung up on details.

Most people can't shoot well enough to tell any closer than maybe an inch and most guns aren't accurate enough to tell that close. Assuming yours is and you are then you shouldn't have to be asking here. There's a lot of variables you're not even considering or can even answer for the very specific question you're asking for.

Go 1.5 high at 100 and you'll be able to hit the pie plate at 200 if you do your part.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Using Jager's formula above......if you want dead on at 200 yards you should be 1.466502" high at 100 yards.

No offense eelgrass , but I'm guessing you have never shot in a strong north wind? I would double your elevation and lean hard to the right when shooting a 7mm Remington Magnum,especially at the distance you are talking about!

After scratching my head in disbelief after reading a few post and laughing my ass off on others, I've come to the conclusion I don't want to live in Nebraska and I don't want a 7mm.....?

>After scratching my head in disbelief
>after reading a few post
>and laughing my ass off
>on others, I've come to
>the conclusion I don't want
>to live in Nebraska and
>I don't want a 7mm.....?
>

Well their new slogan is "Nebraska, it's not for everyone!"

#livelikezac

Yea... nebraska is not for everyone.... or anyone Haha.

The 7mm has been a great rifle for the past 14 years. Taken deer or two every year so far with no issues.

Thanks everyone for the info and input and advise and comments.

Hopefully I'll have some pics to post up in another thread after this coming weekend.

>>After scratching my head in disbelief
>>after reading a few post
>>and laughing my ass off
>>on others, I've come to
>>the conclusion I don't want
>>to live in Nebraska and
>>I don't want a 7mm.....?
>>
>
>Well their new slogan is "Nebraska,
>it's not for everyone!"
>
>
>#livelikezac

???

If your scope is a Nikon BDC then you can use their app or website. Just plug in the details. In fact the website will work for just about any scope if all you are looking for is the initial shot. It's easier to shoot and get your zero by zeroing the first time the bullet crosses your line of site. For me, I zero my 7MM Rem. Mag at 300 yards. Where I live, that means I should hit dead center at 25 yards then it'll raise approximately 4" and come back in and hit dead center at 300 yards.

And yet there are hundreds of posts crucifying the long range shooters who actually spend countless hours at a range who know their rifles, optics and ammunition better than they know their own vehicles......

Maybe you should repost your question in the "Guns, Bows, Shooting, etc." section instead of the "campfire" section. :) :) :)
Maybe it will be easier for you to trust the same advice that will be given there. :) :) :D

Ta2joe,

You've taken one or two deer a year for the past 14 years. I'd say that's pretty good. What has your rifle been sighted in at? Maybe you shouldn't change things.
just a thought.

hwy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom