7mm Pet loads

O

OSOK

Welp,

Having growed up w/ a stick and string in my hand 90% of the time. I've alway's dreamed about knockin the snot out of something w/ my dad's ole custom built 7mm. Now, I have killed a few animals w/ my trusty old 25/06. Would like a change of pace. Honestly, my favorite drop em' in there tracks load for the 25, is a hot 100 grain Ballistic tip. I'm not one of those guys that buy's into the excuse, (if you hit em' in the shoulder you ain't gonna get em', w/ a BT, either). Been there done that and never had a problem on large bodied bucks... However, the 7mm, will be seeing double duty as an elk killer (hopefully), as well. And honestly I've never even chased an elk w/ rifle in hand. Like the sound of a 140 BT, for deer, but thinking, I'll probly just stick w/ one good load, for both. Maybe 160 partitions??? I'm not sure yet. Don't want something that's just gonna shoot thru and make a small hole though either. Any of you guys out there w/ 7mm experience, and reload, I sure would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

OSOK,

I hunted for many years with a custom built Mauser 7x57 on a 98 action. I tried different rounds but settled and used the NORMA in 150gr.
I retired it back 10 years ago and now use a .280 Remington and shoot the Federal 150gr Nosler Partitians.

Not into reloading so can't help you there, sorry.

Brian

Brian,

Thats cool. Thanks for you help. I forgot to mention. The rifle is actually a Rem. Mag.

Osok

I've posted this before but here it is, 160 gr. Nosler Part., max charge (for your rifle) IMR 4831, CCI 250 primers, Win Brass. In my Rem. 700 it gives an average muzzle velocity of 3009 fps. I get three shot groups of 0.5" if I do my part. Has worked well on mulies and several elk. Sighted in at three inches high at 100 yards, I can hold on "hair" out to about 425 yds. and have a lethal hit. You must practice those long shots and it is harder to hit a muley at long distance than an elk. Be sure to work up the load starting about 10% below max. and look for pressure signs. If you have never done this try to find an experienced handloader to help. Good luck.

Phantom Hunter

I use 62grains of H4831 with a 160 grain Nosler Partition, only animal i have shot more then one time was a 362" 6 point bull last year and he was dead from the first shot, just wanted to make sure he didn't travel down a steep canyon. Excellent load, never had a problem and they drop like a sack of tators. Been loading some lately with RL22 can't remember the load right now but my gun shoots good using midrange to slightly higher loads. Shooting a 7MM Rem Mag. Rem. 700 BDL with a Shelan(sp) barrel.

NVhunter,

How does the velocity of the RL22 loads compare with the H4831 loads? I've been thinking of trying RL22 with 175gr Nosler Partitions. I've heard that the RL powders yield equal velocity with lower pressure. My IMR4831 load is at max safe pressure and I would like to find a powder which would yield equal velocity with a little lower pressure.

Phantom Hunter

I'm really not too up or into the pressures of any of my loads, I've never really seen any pressure indication problems yet. I've only loaded a few with RL powder, and quite honestly haven't done enough shooting with them to make an honest opinion about any difference in the two. I've just been really happy with the load i shoot now (H4831) that i really haven't given any other powder a chance. I'm sure there are many loads that are just as good or better out there. I have been wanting to try some loads with 140gr partitions, I bought my wife a .280REM. and it shoots really well with 140s and have always heard that the 7MM Mag likes 140s also, maybe now that my seasons are over i will sit back down and load some and give them a try. Sorry i can't be of more help data wise.

My favorite load for deer and elk is a 160 gr. Partition (though I have never shot an elk), loaded to the max with IMR 4831, a CCI 250 primer and Remington Brass. I have not Crony'd the load but would guess to be around 2970 fps with terrific accuracy. I regularly cut 3/4" 5 shot groups at the 100 yard range.

I have also had excellent results with 175 gr. Partitions and Hornady SP with H1000 powder. Loaded kind of hot based on the "new" load manuals, but within the range of the older manuals.

Really though, my 7mm will shoot nearly any bullet really well as long as I have loaded it on top of IMR 4831. Good Luck! FH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom