7mm Rem. Ammo?

Randy11

This is my first year hunting with 7mm mag. I've shot both 150 and 175 grain core-lokts out of it, the 150's for antelope, and the 175 for bear and elk at close range. What would you guys suggest for a good all-around factory load, i dont want to switch ammo for different game. Is there a factory boattail in a 7mm at all? maybe you guys have experience with different size bullets and loads in this caliber?

I have been really happy with the results of 160 grain nosler partitions for all game up to elk. Federal premium makes these in factory loads.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Looking for a 7mag bullet? Well you're in luck. This year federal just introduced into thier line of premium bullets a new bullet, that is made by nosler called an Accubond. I have hand loaded these bullets for a year now myself and I have been pleased of the performance that I have seen from such a well constructed bullet. They come in a 160 grain which has a lot of good qualities going for it. They are a bit pricey($30.00+/box) but worth every penny if you really want somthing good.

I'm getting curious on accubonds. I can't stand BT bullets due non penetration issues.

How well does the Accubond hold up on quartering shots or through major bones in real life? Have a brother in law itching to try them, but we need a bullet that can take a tail end shot if needed. Xs work just fine but can be finicky in some guns. Need another option(bearclaw was my next thought)

Thanks, Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-04 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]My 7mm mag Remington BDL loves the Federal Premium Accubonds.

I shoot core-locts out of all my guns (7mm Rem Mag. .270, .243) and really like them. They shoot well out of my guns and I have never had a reason to switch or justify spending twice the money for a "premium" bullet.
If I were to switch though, and to answer your question about an all around bullet, I would definitely go with 160gr. Nosler Partitions. I have heard nothing but good things about these.

Lien2

Personally I will not shoot Remington core lokt bullets again, except for the boxes I still have for practice but not at game any more. I have had one to many penetration issues (some on whitetails) that my confidence is very low and wont go back.
I currently shoot PMC brand bullets and have been very pleased, and my 7mm has been more accurate with them as well. Thats my opinion though.

I have went exclusively to Federal Premium 160 grain Trophy Bonded Bear claws for my 7mm Mag. A few years ago I shot a black bear with Remington core lokt 150's and Although I recovered the bear, The bullet did not hold together very well. It splintered all over the place. The next year in the exact same location I shot another bear that I never recovered.Both shots were just over 100 yards. That's when I decided to switch. I have taken Mule deer and blackbear bear with the Federal Premiums since and for whatever reason am more confident and the bullets really hold together well.
HC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom