7mm ultra mag in a sendero?

lip_curl

anyone played around with one of these at long range? with the high BC, plenty of room in the case for enough powder to make it go fast, and remington advertising it as their most accurate rifle, im thinking this may be a wicked little combination. i havent heard much chatter about it though...what am i missing?

I had one in the 7mm stw and it shoot well under an MOA. I was able to shoot it real well out o about 800 yards. One of the bestguns I have ever owned.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

Have that exact gun-so does my friend.

Its been the most accurate and consistent (and easy to shoot) rifle I have ever owned. Shoots easily sub moa, groups better than I can most of the time. Shoots around a 3 shot 1 " group at 250 yards when I do my part. Have a recent group of around 2 inches at 400 yards. I have mine set up with factory loaded Remington 150 grain swift sciroccos for long range deer primarily. Going almost 3400 fps out of the 26" tube. Allows for a 400 yard sight in with 7" midrange trajectory and only 10" low at 500 yards. This is as flat as a 22-250 or swift with 55 grain bullets.

The gun is a little heavy but thats good as you will not need a muzzle brake or even high end recoil pad with the sendero. Have high country backpack deer hunted with it several times-puts the hurt on deer.

My friend loads his with 160 accubonds and has shot deer,elk and a moose with his and loves it.

If you need more penetration a 175 grain load in this caliber will do anything the .300 ultra will do and do it better at long range because of the better BC of the .284 bullets.Or you could go to the Berger bullets for extreme long range-probibly one of the best long range rigs possible.

Only thing I did to mine was skim bed the recoil lug area, I am going to put a better trigger in it also .

thanks!
Tbuck, if you like 150 grains, you might try the hornady SSTs also, they have a better ballistic coefficient than sciroccos and are absolutely deadly. ive been using them in my .270WSM and they are just plain awesome. i smoked an antelope with a perfect shot at 500 yards last week. i had several bad experiences with sciroccos out of my .300RUM and have been shopping around since...

Timberbuck, yours is an impressive review. I had always considered this cartidge to be an inefficient ultra overbore and a waste of R and D on Remingtons part. A gun shooting as well as yours is a lifetime keeper. Does the 7mm ultra shoot as well in normal barrel contours, say a #3?

The sendero is a great rifle from remington. Buddy has one in 7RUM and its a lights out shooter. He is shooting 168gr bergers over retumbo. Almost one rag hole groups at 100 yards. Only imporovement was a timney trigger. I think the 7RUM is pretty hard on a barrel but so is any big overbore cartridge. With time to cool between shots it will last!

I have had this gun for 4 years now. Almost bought a STW but this round intrigued me. Put a Gentry quiet brake on it, kicks like a 243 with no addition db's at the shooter, Timney trigger set to 3lbs and topped it with a Leuo. VXIII 4.5-14x40LR BC ret. I have been shooting factory 150grn Siroccos out of her with impressive sub 1" groups @100yds. Shoots a 1.5" group at 300yds. I am in the process of building some bullets for it, just cannot decide on the 168VLD or 160Accubond.

I have killed 4 bulls with it, furthest was 528yds and closest was 60yds. All died on contact. Killed a couple deer as well and it kills them real well.

My scope has aiming points that correlate with my trajectory out to 600yds. I practice to that distance and feel comfortable to that range. The only complaint I have is the lack of loading data on the round. I have found a few but more to compare would be nice.

CAhunter, mind sharing the loading data on your buddies round?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom