7mm08 help ASAP

BUGLEnmIN

Very Active Member
Hey guys,i need to find a super hot elk round for a 7mm08. My wife drew a tag and she's comfortable that caliber . I found some good rounds from barns ,and federal premium,but I do not want a 140 grain bullet. I'm looking for 160 grain. Please help if you can thank you!

Bugle, unfortunately, I don't think you will find a 160 grain bullet, the closest is the norma oryx in 156 grains. Our kids and the ladies shoot 7-08 and have taken 5x5 bull elk and oryx with this rifle. Elk have fallen to Remington ammo and the oryx to nosler accubonds in 140 grain. Your other options will be 120 or 139. I would go with the noslers, that is what my daughter will be shooting in November for elk. I researched and purchased this caliber specifically for her.

Good luck.

Carlos

>Bugle, unfortunately, I don't think you
>will find a 160 grain
>bullet, the closest is the
>norma oryx in 156 grains.
>Our kids and the ladies
>shoot 7-08 and have taken
>5x5 bull elk and oryx
>with this rifle. Elk have
>fallen to Remington ammo and
>the oryx to nosler accubonds
>in 140 grain. Your other
>options will be 120 or
>139. I would go with
>the noslers, that is what
>my daughter will be shooting
>in November for elk. I
>researched and purchased this caliber
>specifically for her.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Carlos

Carlos, saw those but really want a 160 buddy. Thank you for your input. The

Isn't a 160 grain 7mm-08 called a .308 Win????? Kinda like wanting to shoot a 180 grain .270; that is just a 30-06...If you want bullets in that grain dump the 7mm-08 and get a .308 win. My nine year old boy shoots a .308 (reduced load) just fine. Can't imagine it would be too much for your wife. All the same I really doubt the elk will know the difference between a well built 140 grain bullet and a 160 grain bullet, not to mention that the accuracy from the 140 grain will likely be better than a 160 grain. I watched my buddy's boy shoot a big mature 6x6 bull at 140 yards with a 140 grain bullet right in the shoulder. That bull dropped like a ton of bricks.

Kinda see your point here, it would almost be a 308 , and the .270 round in 180 grain is better than .30-06 the trajectory is thinner making it more arrow dynamic so flatter shooting . I would like the 160 grain but if all I can find is 140 then so be it.

>Isn't a 160 grain 7mm-08 called
>a .308 Win????? Kinda like
>wanting to shoot a 180
>grain .270; that is just
>a 30-06...If you want bullets
>in that grain dump the
>7mm-08 and get a .308
>win. My nine year old
>boy shoots a .308 (reduced
>load) just fine. Can't imagine
>it would be too much
>for your wife. All the
>same I really doubt the
>elk will know the difference
>between a well built 140
>grain bullet and a 160
>grain bullet, not to mention
>that the accuracy from the
>140 grain will likely be
>better than a 160 grain.
>I watched my buddy's boy
>shoot a big mature 6x6
>bull at 140 yards with
>a 140 grain bullet right
>in the shoulder. That bull
>dropped like a ton of
>bricks.

I concur that trying to get an extra 10-20 grains for the sake of more grains isn't necessary.

My daughter uses .243 and with measly 105 grain she absolutely dumped cow oryx & cow elk with single shots.

Granted bulls may be bigger/tougher, but a well-placed bulled and a broadside shot at relatively close range will do the job every time.

Carl

Yeah, 140 gr is about all you're gonna get unless you hand load.

Just go with a quality bullet and line her up for the best shot possible.

The 7mm08 is a great round in my opinion, and if she can shoot it well it will get the job done on any elk.

After seeing what my 270wsm with 140ABs did to my oryx last year, though slower out of a 7mm08, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bull at 300 and in with that same bullet in a 7mm08.

I think you will be good to go with the 140 grain bullet. My kids killed plenty of elk and oryx with that bullet.

>I think you will be good
>to go with the 140
>grain bullet. My kids
>killed plenty of elk and
>oryx with that bullet.

Barns ttsx fellas

Barnes Vor-tx is what i wanted for my daughter and gf for their hunts but could only find it in 120 grain...there is a 140 grain out there but i don't hand-load...haven't been able to find them available to buy (ready to shoot) anywhere...if you have found a place please share...like i posted before the 140 grain Noslers have done well for us and will be in my daughters rifle for her elk hunt in November...

Hard to go wrong with that.

>>I think you will be good
>>to go with the 140
>>grain bullet. My kids
>>killed plenty of elk and
>>oryx with that bullet.
>
>
>Barns ttsx fellas

140 grain nosler should do the job just fine. Just stay away from bone with a 7-08. Show us some pics!

----------------------------------------------------------------
If ya drink, don't talk. If ya talk, don't drink.

I shoot 160 grain nosler accubond out of mine and does great, but I hand load those.

I might switch to hornady eldx 162 grain as .613 bc is amazing.

NOT NEED 160 FOR ELK!!!!

MY BOY USED 140 GRAIN AND BOOM BULL ORYX @ 350 YARD!!!

AND ALL ON HUNTS OUR BOYS USED 120 GRAINS AND 140...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom