7STW vs 7MM Rem Ultra Mag

8mmMag

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-14 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]OK, I just asked for advice about the 7STW on a previous post. and thanks for all advice. But, I cant but help wonder and compare the 7STW and the 7MM Rem Ultra Mag. Are their any plus or minus when comparing these two Calibers? Does one have a big advantage or disadvantage over the other. Again, thanks for any advice from all!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-14 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]I did a lot of research on the ultra. What I found more or less, there isn't a powder made that will completely burn at 100% case fill. So you end up blowing unburned powder down the barrel(essentially sand blasting the barrel).
You can avoid this by taming the charge, but if your going to do that, may as well go to the stws smaller case.

Own both calibers.

STW was a wildcat back in the day... It will throw a 175gr bullet out at 3200 fps "hot load"

7mm RUM was engineered with a huge "non belted case", and in theory would have more powder(energy) to out do the STW by 200-300 fps.

SO,,in theory the, 7mm RUM was going to be this new awesome caliber, and way surpass the 7mmSTW by 200-300 FPS,,,,However, unfortunately,,what testing found,,,,was you can only force so much powder(energy) through a given hole (orifice)...After all the hype,,the 7mm RUM only does about 75-100 fps more then the STW.

Finally, in my opinion,,I would make my selection base on--which gun is cheaper to load, & which bullets are going to be more readily available in a retail store in the middle of nowhere, like--Canada, or Mexico....then decide.

I have found "BOTH" calibers suck, when it comes to finding, BRASS, Powders, primers..Factory ammo is almost obsolete on the 7mmSTW, and is very hard to find for the 7mmRUM.

My opinion is,,,,don't buy either one...

BUT if your really set on buying one, I will sell mine to ya.
Read below.

I am selling my custom T/C Encore, 26" 7mmSTW bull barrel, Camo pro hunter thumbhole stock, Ziess Conquest 6-20x with Kenton custom turrets out to 1600 yards, Ken Ferrel base and rings, 150 rds new brass, 300 rounds once fired brass, Die set, H1000 powder, 215M primers, and 100 round of loaded ammo (Barns TTSX) It's a nail driver on the 100 yd range. Killed a Wy bull at 659 yards. Nice gun. email me if interested.
Rob-Sandy Ut
[email protected]

Actually the 7stw and 7rum are the same caliber. Both are .284" or 7mm diameter. The difference is in the cartridge case. They are certainly different cartridges.

I have neither but if I needed to pick one it would most certainly be the rum. All reloading components are tough to find right now but at least it's a production cartridge and since both are grossly over-bored, (meaning huge cases vs bore diameter) you're obviously not looking for efficiency but you will get raw speed.

Like others have said, work up your load and then shoot it 4 shots per year (3 to check zero and 1 to kill) and the barrel should last you forever. Do all you long range shooting with something a bit easier on barrels.

There are always trade-offs but it's hard to beat a 7mm Rem Mag in real-world performance and barrel longevity.

Zeke

Im building a Rem 700 Sendero, 300 RUM, Zeiss HD, 2-- HS 8 round detachable mags,
Trying to get me Barnes TTSX to spit out...Im finding the TTSX bullet are not as accurate spitting out a 30 cal, as compared to my 7mm caliber, the Barns TTSX are freaking nail drivers.

Im going to try some LRX barnes, Accubonds, next.

Rob

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-14 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]"There are always trade-offs but it's hard to beat a 7mm Rem Mag in real-world performance and barrel longevity."

+1 Zeke. Both the above mentioned "cartridges" are more than i care to shoot but for them that want the most down range energy possible from a .284 pill, they are available.

If a guy was to have the U.Mag or the 7 Rem Mag and had a turret scope system all dialed in and a buck out there at 700 yds, both guys dial their scopes to 700 yds. Now days with rangefinders and turret scopes, it's not so much how flat shooting a rifle is as how accurate one can shoot it.

It used to be that one never new the exact range of a animal, one had to guess the range, and a "flatter" shooting rod made for longer possible kill shots where a guy could still hold on the "hair". In some instances, that's still the case but the modernization of our equipment has greatly taken the guess work out of the equation.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

In my experience the 7mm STW has been easier to find a more accurate load than the 7mm RUM...also barrel life is worse. 140s at 3475fps or 160s at 3200, what more do you need.

I have always had better luck with the 30 calibers, as far of reloading ease & accuracy.

To each his own, but like Joey said. Accuracy is way more important than speed now a days for long range.

The stw and rum are both overbore and will both last about the same for barrel life.
I would go with the stw as you have all that 8mm brass you can form a few hundred cases and be done.
Just to throw it out there you could build a 7lrm or 26nosler also!

Who'd a thunk that we'd be referring to the 7mm Rem Mag as a "slow" cartridge? LOL

+1 to Joey on the rangefinders negating most of the "need for speed".

Isn't it nice that we all have an opinion and they are are valid to us (based on our experience). Typically, currently and historically, the 7mm caliber (bullet diameter) has been relatively easy to load and produces great accuracy. They have great BC and SC bullets and internal construction to match everything from mice to moose. A good 7mm round is tough to beat.

Good luck in your quest Mr 8mag. I'd be the last guy to ever talk you out of a new gun. We all look for reasons to tinker.

Zeke

If your looking for speed the 7mm Weatherby with its freebore is as close to 7mm STW. I wouldn't buy the 7mm RUM.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-14 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]A little story for the OP.

A couple years ago my buddy (only knew him for a few months) and I +my two boys, are practicing for an upcoming WY deer and antelope hunt. We were shooting the STW ($5gs I have in it)at 500 yrs. With my youngest boy (14 yrs old)shooting, we were getting 5" 3 shot groups @ 500 yrds. Not bad at all, and we have seen it shoot under 3".

My buddy who had never shot a target over 200 yards was amazed at the accuracy, and could hardly wait to start with his. We had talked about his new rifle some, and all I knew was it was a 308 he had won in a raffle. He goes to his truck and gets this rifle out. (grin from ear to ear) Its a 308 Marlin lever action. It had the Nikon Bdc Scope and a box of revolution ammo. The barrel couldn't of been over 20"! I am thinking to my self,"Now I have 2 kids and a boy scout using a brush gun to help get animals". Lol So we start sighting the gun inn per the Nikon scope. It had the mildots for yardage.

Now granted, its a hellva looking thing for long range. The thing had about a 4 lb trigger(talked him in to a trigger kit)& was awkward heavy! Long story short, after a couple week of tinkering, that little 308 would shoot its ass off! 5 to 7" groups @ 500yrd all day long with factory ammo!

So after all was said and done, I am thinking,"who is the boy scout now"! The animals for sure didn't know the difference from a 5" to 7" group! and it was free! other than the trigger kit & $5.00 ticket.

He ended up filling all his tags too on the hunt, making a couple nice 300 yrd shots!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom