7W Early - Any Thoughts or Advice?

lyk2hnt

16 bonus points and I finally drew out! I feel like I hit the lottery.

What are my chances on a DIY hunt? Can't afford a guide and don't know the area at all.

Depends on what your expectations are and what kind of a hunt you'll be satisfied with. If you want to camp in some great country, see rutting elk activity and kill a mature 6X6 bull, I'd say your chances are really high. However, if you're after a cover-shot-grip-n-grin quality bull, then it depends on your preseason scouting work and your own ability to distinguish a mature bull from a world-class trophy. Only you can answer that question.

Have a great hunt and enjoy the whole experience!

Jim

If you don't mind me asking? Why burn 16 points on 7w? I didn't know the unit was that good?

Lyk2hunt,
7W is reasonably close for you to drive to and scout on a long weekend. The former P&Y world record typical came from Sitgreaves Mtn in the early 90s. The auction tag holder took his bull from 7 a few years ago.

Although possible, I personally would not set my sights on a 380+ bull from 7W. 330 would be a more plausible trophy.

There are some nice hills in 7W to get atop and glass from.

RR

junior 7W is a killer unit and has some great bulls, like RR said there have been some awesome bulls killed out of this unit and always carries bulls that are looked at for auction tags, raffle tags. Nothing wrong with burning any amount of points on this hunt. Every year there is giant bulls killed in the unit. I would suspect that 360+ bull would be realistic on this hunt with the possibility of who knows what.

I always thought it was a good unit, but didn't know it to be great. Then again, all it takes is a couple good bulls on the ground to change any of those AZ units. Thanks for the info...and Good Luck Lyk2hnt!

I heard it was a good area, especially since it hasn't been open for the early hunt prior to this year.
Maybe I was misinformed, only one way to find out now.

I have been on 2 hunts in 7W in the past two years. Last year's archery hunt I was helping a guy and he missed a 330 class bull. The next morning we were on a 350 class bull, but he could not close the distance (102 yards). For most of the unit, I would expect to shoot a 330 to 350 class bull, with the potentail to shoot a large bull up by 9. I have a friend who shot a 360 bull there in 2007. Good luck!

Did you draw the early rifle hunt? That would be a tag to die for. I will send you a PM

Hunted 7w a couple of times. Big bulls are in there (of course all I have shot were dinks on my hunts), the more you can scout the better. I have friends who have taken some truly impressive bulls out of the unit during the archery hunt. If you ever watch some of theose archery bull videos and pay attention to the horizon (know your hills) you will realize several of those unit 9 bulls are not all that far from the northern side of 7W. Me and my bro were rabbit hunting out west of Red Mountain last fall and found a bull that had been killed earlier in the season, and lost by an archer (Still had arrow in it). It probably went about 330

5 and 0 so I guess about 2 for an average. Another friend drew it with 2. It's a screwed up system we have for sure.

azgf needs to up the pass pecentage to say 40%? it can happen to anyone.(well non res sorry)my buddy drew unit 9 muzzle stuffer this year with.......2bps ya gotta love tag "gambling" ..lol i drew 9 archery bull 3 years ago with 2 bps.

7w early bull awesome tag find the picture of the bull john noble shot in that unit on one of the early rifle tags...STUD!!!!

ajoe

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom