8,8a,11a elk

I

IDbones

going to be hunting local this year, just wondering if anyone has any current info on the elk herds

unfortunately i don't, sorry. but you might read the thread
"elk hunting in 37 and 37A" entirely before you get reamed...

im hunting archery, i live in lewiston and ive been out scouting, i also drew a unit 11 waha mule deer tag too that ive been scouting for, im just hoping to compare notes with some folks that are working the same area. I have a honey hole up in little canyon that i saw some nice bulls in last year but i had the waha muzzloader tag so i literally had to watch them walk by at 40 yards and bugle in my face. and i did read that post and i dont care, those guys spend too much time on here rednecking people looking for info. Its a forum, where people come to talk about stuff like scouting and hunting etc.

There are plenty of elk. Wolves haven't taken over yet but in 8A they are moving in from the north and northeast. A few small groups do roam around in 8 and 8A. Every year I see tracks but I always seem to miss them and not hear or see any wolves.

The elk are out there, just hard to find in the thick forests. In september while I scout for rifle season and hunt grouse I always hear bugles and cow talk. My advice, find a closed forest service road or old logging road and walk in a few miles, then find some ridges that you can sit on and glass several clearcuts from the same place in the mornings and evenings.

Ilove the waha area, although I have never drawn the tag I go in there a few times a year and hunt grouse and camp. I always see plenty of deer and I have seen some big bucks in there.

thats great info thank you, we were up north of deary today on at the top of a mountain and could see a huge stretch of land with trees so thick you couldnt see the ground in a single spot. it was a beautiful spot but i could imagine it being tough to locate a roaming herd. much less intercept them. i always end up seeing a few out of viola where we deer hunt in october, i know there in there somewhere. thanks for the info and great luck to you. ill update on how the season goes

I have deer hunted a little bit in little canyon, but have not seen much for elk in there. I guess I will have to look a little harder.

I think the elk are a little more wide spread across the river in unit 8 and 8a where there is a lot more public/clearwater paper property. There are big bulls shot up there every year, but it helps to know the area.

At least 95% of 11a is private, but that can be good if you are willing to put forth the effort to get permission in there. I have found the farmers to be put off a little by deer hunters as it gets crazy with people who think they can go wherever they want. Elk might be different though as they are a little more destructive. Also, if you are not in a farm field, then that country is very steep and cliffy; some of it quite treacherous that is to dangerous for people, so don't get yourself somewhere you don't want to be.

i already have access through a farmer, and yes poachers are abound up there, the elk are nearly invisible as they walk in the very bottom of the canyon. we have horn hunted very har$d where i have access, often times going from top to bottom a few times in a day. last year i went out there opening day of deer season and 4 trucks with farmboys were parked next to my access and i heard a shot on the canyon edge. i took pictures of there liscense plates but never pursued it although i should have. you could tell when i pulled up that something shady was going on. the main thing that bothers me about being in the bottom of the canyon are the black bears, its such a confined place and the walls so steep that theres no escape, there would be a showdown for sure if you startled one. i just make sure i always have my pistol handy when dropping in there. ive had a little $hithead bear messing with my trail cam every time i reset it. the property i have permission on has a couple of absolute giant whitetail, 160ish in july, i cant imagine what theyre lookin like right now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom