80 year old Dad's Elk Hunt

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
Hey guys, i need some help here.

On March 7th, my Dad's 80th birthday, he called me and told me that over breakfast, my Mom had told him she had to take $12,000.00 out of here 401K this year. She wanted to send him to Africa on another safari, with me included. I've never had interest in African game much until the last couple of years so I was initially excited.

He then told me he'd rather have us hunt elk here since he could get home in a day if something happened to her and it would be 2-3 days from Africa.

We than started talking about Unit 61 muzzy since we had a great hunt there in "08" archery.

I told him for $12,000.00 there was no way we could get 2 muzzy tags in Unit 61.

After we got done talking I was thinking that "maybe" we could get him a muzzy tag, and me a archery tag in that price range. I'd be willing to increase that another $2,000-3,000. Then i could get there a few days early, hunt/scout for him, concentrate on his hunt. Then hunt the last (best) week by myself.

My next thought was maybe that would buy him a Unit 2, 10 or 201 muzzy tag?

So with the changes in how landowner tags are going to be sold this year, what should I do?

I posted this on the Elk Forum and after the responses, I'm thinking NM might be a better option. But we know 61 to some extent and he can handle that terrain at his age, at least well enough to take a good bull.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom