84 4/8" Desert Bighorn

P

pnm

Just curious if anyone knew the story behind "who and why" someone killing a 84 4/8" desert bighorn sheep on last years hunt? It was killed in unit 15cs and is recorded on the ADBSS web page. Was it an accident? What a disaster for a "once-in-a-liftime" hunt.

Just checked out the site - that does seem rather odd. I certainly hope it was something like the guy accidently (for whatever reason) harvested a lesser animal and had the enough character to put a tag on it and call it a hunt - that I can respect. I would hate to here of sombody harvesting an immature animal simply to "fill a tag".

I don't know if there's a photo posted or not but have you thought about it being a one-horned ram? There are quite a few impressive older age class rams within the Black Mountains that have one intact horn and the other side broken off. Could be the hunter chose to harvest one of these old dudes rather than take a smaller ram. Think about it, 84 4/8 X 2= 169, now that's a nice ram. Just a thought.

I agree with AZb-snort, it most probably was broken off. I have seen a few Rams that looked great from one angle and it turns its head a little and where is the other horn! Maybe this fella had it feeding broadside and only saw the one side and took the Ram. I have only seen one Ram with no horn, just the 'cone' sticking out but a full horn on the other side.

A 169 Nelson would be a dandy Ram for sure.

My first thought was the one-horned scenario as well. But I researched it. If you go check the ADBSS website, where the information is posted, you'll find that the ram in question had horn lengths of 17-2/8 & 17-4/8 while the bases measured 9-3/8 & 9-2/8. It was aged at 1 and 1/2 years old. This information is at http://www.adbss.org/2002_Hunt_Results/2002_hunt_results.htm Just wanted to let you know it wasn't a one-horned ram.

All The Best,
RamDreamer

I heard through the grapevine last year that this guy was the Raffle Tag winner, who lives in Nevada. On opening morning he drove across the border and shot the first ram he saw, checked it in and went home. Don't know if it's true or not.

I too was thinking it was a one horned ram.

Unfortunately these things do happen. I know of more than one instance where a very young ram was killed either accidentally or intentionally. Several times "the wrong ram" stepped out first or the sheep changed positions and the hunter was confused. Usually it happens when a hunter is alone and does not have a coach there to keep things straight. Often times the hunter is inexperienced but not always. I know a guy it happened to who has killed several sheep.

Then again I think it is happening intentionally more and more. It's a function of everybody and his dog applying for sheep tags. With the quest for the "status" of having killed a sheep and also the fact that anybody can and does apply on the internet with a credit card you have a lot less serious crowd drawing sheep tags. Some of these people just don't have the interest level that sheep tag holders once did. They want the tag but they really don't want to hunt. They want to kill a sheep and run home to brag it up. Then they get out there, have no clue what they are looking at, shoot the first ram they see and then have regrets. It's unfortunate but I think we will see more of it. I am trying not to sound judgemental here. Those people have every reason and right to want to get in to sheep hunting too.

The only bright spot is that at least the guy turned it in and didn't rock pile it and go shoot another. I think it might shock us all if we knew how many times that has happened over the years.

I drew 15cs, and promise not to shoot anything that small..LOL
Its got to be the smallest ram ever shot in AZ...Only a year-and-half!!!!

Here's the story....the unit suffered a major die off....lots of pickup heads were found laying around. No one knows why but anyway....the guy that took the small ram was in his 70's...I believe he needed it for a slam but not positive. I do know that pickens were slim and the outfitters had a tough time getting him in on even the ram he shot. There ya have it guys.

Can't wait for our first scouting trip here in a few weeks. Rumor has it, there are a few really good rams seen lately.
Does anyone know of a good taxidermy shop in the Kingman area?

Stop in Henrys Wildlife Creations in Kingman and check out his shop, he did my sheep out of 15d a couple years back and it turned out fantastic.
Congradulations on the tag, I have hunted since I could crawl and my sheep hunt was by far the best of any hunt I had been on.
Start hiking them hills.....!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom