84 year old takes a Book Desert

Trammer

5784gary_west_1.jpg

Ramsniper and I just returned from what was my 143rd North American Wild Sheep hunt and what fun it was. We were lucky enough to hunt with an 84 year old sheep hunter.He proved to be an amazing sheep hunter.

I was most impressed with his mental strength. After about a week of hunting most of his buddys who were much younger than him kept telling him to shoot any one of the rams we were seeing.The hunter, kept telling them that he wanted the big, old ram. Even when the going got tough and even after he took a hard fall in the rocks he insisted on waiting out and holding out for the Big Ram...we could only see the tops of his horns for hours while the other 2 rams were in full view!

The ram has not been officially scored yet but we green scored it at 169 and F&G checked him in at 167 so he should at least make the B&C one time listing.

That's a great ram Brad (Trammer)!
It's always interesting an enjoyable to meet people on a sheep hunt.
Congratulations.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-14 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]It's a Booner but I wonder if they'll accept it since it was taken at "long range"?!

This hunt really got me to thinking about how wrong B&C's recent statement is about long range hunting. This hunter would never have gotten a ram without the ability to reach out and touch something. When you're 84 years old, sneeking up on a ram in sheep country isn't as easy as the able bodied guys who wrote the new policy think it is. If they'd have been with us on this hunt, they would certainly realize just how ridiculous the new policy is!
Horns>antlers

As usual, Trammer comes through with another great post.

As for the record book regulation, I would assume it is intended to inspire responsible, ethical hunting.

Not a bad thing these days.

Its unfortunate that the range would keep it out of the book, but the book is not what is really important.
I bet ya the old fella is happy with or without the Ram going in the book.

72logo.jpg

I agree with you Ram Sniper. The Boone and Crockett Club has come out with some weird or at least inconsistent positions on issues lately. For example they have always told us it is unethical to take a shot that you are not certain you will make because of the possibility of wounding the animal...then lately in their statement concerning long range shooting they say it is unethical because the game does not have a chance to escape. I say if I am going to take only a shot that I am certain to make, the animal has no chance to escape....And, given the variable nature of peoples shooting skills how can B&C come up with a fixed policy concerning ethical shooting distances?

That's a tremendous ram and a great accomplishment at any age.
I have great respect for anyone still able to do serious hunting at age 84.

My hat's off!

Dang it Brad!!

Do you ever let you're hunter down?? haha

You certainly produce year-in-year-out..

Stat's count for sure.

With his 84 year old eye's---who really cares about the distance of shot??

He did it for hell's sake...

congrats

Robb

Thank You PleaseDear, I am way proud of Ram Sniper and my results again this year. I have been told we took Utah biggest Desert and Utahs biggest Rocky again this year. I know 4 out of 5 of the people we hunted with killed book rams including the New Utah State record Desert. The other hunter who did not take a book head stalked one and blew the stalk on a book ram on the 3rd to last day of the hunt and then had to "settle" for a 163 ram on the second to last day of the season. Another great year in the books.

This hunt, with a true gentleman that was physically limited with Palsy and other age related ailments but who also proved to be a mental giant. This hunt, was one of the most challenging and rewarding that I have ever been a part of.

The shot was 510 yards. Really a mid distance, not a long range shot. The hunter was able to make the shot because Ram Sniper brought his custom portable shooting rest and a rifle that was smithed by Roland Black and Ram Sniper himself had smithed the bullets for the gun. The rest can only be set up and used on a stationary target. It takes about 15 minutes to properly set up a shot for the hunter. This hunter had the shakes so bad from his Palsy or a combination of Palsy and Ram Fever. The rest was key to the making of this shot. The rest levels the rifle, has a sandbag for the front and locks in and stabilizes the butt. It is more solid than a bench rest...I will try to upload a pic of the ram right before the shot...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom