8mm Rem Mag?

2f350s

I bought a used factory Rem 700 in 8mm Rem Mag then had a muzzle break, glass bedding, free float brl and trigger adjustment done by my gunsmith. I plan to use it for elk hunting only and the first time will be this season, so I haven't shot any elk yet.

I prefer light for caliber bonded or monolithic bullets to get good penetration/performance but give me as much velocity as I can get. Where I hunt shot opportuities range from 50yrds to 500yrds.

What are some loads you use?
What are your performance opinions about the 8mm Rem Mag?
Is it too much for deer?

It's a great elk gun in my opinion, if not for the popularity of the 30 magnums it would have caught on much better than it did.

I'm not a big fan of the Accubond but if you can get it to shoot good that 200 gr bullet should do what you're asking. if I ever use my 8mm again I'm going to try it.

Stay thirsty my friends

Thanks 440sixpack,
I'll give the accubonds a try and I agree that the high performing 30's probably took away some prospective users.

Why are you not using your 8mmRM anymore?

Because I have a couple 300's that are lighter and are tack drivers. I never did use my 8mm much but I took a couple cows on our depredation tags and was impressed with it. using Partitions like usual.

If ultra long range isn't a real concern just shoot the partition and forget about it.

Stay thirsty my friends

I agree with 440.
The partition is going to be hard to beat for performance.

I shoot a 325WSM with 200 TSX and it shoots them very well. The 200 AB didn't group nearly as well (FYI, every gun is different) so I have a partial box if you want to try a few.... depending on where you live. Never used partitions in that rifle.

I just got back from the range shooting 210 partitions in my 338 Win Mag. I shot at 5 different distances from 100 to 537 yards. I'll leave it at this, "it was scary-good", no flies on the old partition! My Bro was shooting a 270 Win with 130 partitions at the same time with about the same results.

Anything out to 5-600 yards is certainly not too far for the lowly partition!

The 8mm Mag is plenty for deer but my brother and I have both used 340 Wby's on deer with about the same results as an '06, DRT.

Good luck with your "new" rifle. It's a winner cartridge which was beat out by good marketing of other cartridges. Also, we Americans are still in love with anything in 30 cal.
Zeke

Zeke,

I am using 210 partitions in my .338 Win Mag but last year I shot a 6x6 at 325 yrds and bullet performance was disappointing.

It punched a small hole in & out through both lungs and I had to track a blood trail over 200 yards. Luckily, I saw him going up an off-side ravine at 100ish yards and put him down. Guess if I had hit shoulder bone the bullet performance might have been different...

As for the accubonds, I live in Colorado Springs, if that is convenient, otherwise I appreciate your offer to try a few?

I guess it goes to show that every bullet can "fail".
The 210 .338 partition has long been hailed as "boringly reliable". I've killed countless deer, bear, elk and moose with the 210 since 1972 (old screw-turned partitions back then) and never seen anything like you experienced but no doubt it can happen.

I call Ut Co home so It probably won't work well to hand a few off to you.

Zeke

I can honestly say I've never had a partition provide anything but perfect results. at the impact velocity you had if a partition didn't impress you chances are most bullets we consider elk bullets would have made you really unhappy.

A Ballitic tip would have been better for the shot you took, but then what if the bull had been at 75 yards? the partition is as close to the all around game bullet as there has ever been.

I wouldn't count on the accubond opening any faster than the partition if that's what you're looking for.

Stay thirsty my friends

I'm shooting 200 gr Partitions out of mine. Last time I went to the range for a sight in verification I punched out a 0.5" 3 shot group at 100 yds and it went 3150 fps through the chronograph out of a 26" barrel, about 100 fps faster than I had guessed. I belive I'm going to back off two grains to reduce the recoil.

As far as performance, I've killed two deer and 3 black bear with that load and have been happy with performance. I haven't tried any other bullet and really don't see the reason to. Load your 8 mag with which ever quality bullet you want and slay some critters!

NRA Life Member

Lefties are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

when I was using mine I shot the old 200gr barnes which we moiled and used 83.5 grains IMR7828 dropped a moose one shot and a bear one shot both animals were about 125 yards away wouldn't shoot one without a muzzle break

Thanks guys,

I'm looking firward to trying some different hand loads to see the kind of performance my 8mm Mag provides before using it this elk season.

2f350, I take my hat off to you! Anybody looking forward to bench time with a jumbo cartridge such as this, has a toss-up between my admiration and my condolences. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I shoot a nice Kimber Montana in 325 wsm. 200 gr Accubonds shoot really well out of mine. Took a cow elk last November. 330 yards and had a nice dime sized entrance and about golf ball size exit. Went about five yards and she was all done. I like the 8mm and was intrigued with this caliber after reading Craig Boddingtons rave reviews If his. Have fun. Don't be afraid of the Sierra Game King 220 grain bullets. They were designed for the 8mm Rem Mag.

I shoot a 325WSM also, mine shoots the 200 gr Barnes like a laser but the Nosler 200 AB were just not as accurate in MY rifle. I've used it on 16 animals and every one has been "one & done".

The 8's are not as populay as the 30's or 33's but nobody can deny their effectiveness.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom