8x42 vs 10x42 vs 8x32?

Fire_Hawk

So, I own a 10x42 Vortex Razor and a Minox BD8x32BR ASPH. I am considering selling my Razors or possibly trading them for an 8x42 Razor or similar because I really struggle holding those 10x steady for long periods of time. They are terrific on the tripod, but I rarely use the tripod.

What are your opinions where I already have a good quality 8x32 in those Minox binos? I hunt mostly Utah in the typical High Country mule deer and elk fashion. Lots of open parks and sagebrush choked bowls and draws, with patches of pine and aspen. Would I be duplicating by trading a 10x42 for an 8x42 when I already have a good 8x32?

Thanks for the help and advice!

If you do a lot of sitting in one place glassing, an 8x42 will be a bit easier to hold steady and the larger exit pupil may make for a little less stress on the eyes in long glassing sessions. The 8x42 will be a little brighter in extreme twilight, but 4mm exit pupil will work until past legal shooting light in most places.

Those Minox are pretty decent glass, so you may not give up much to an 8x42. The theoretical resolution limits will be a bit higher with the 8x42, simply because there is more light energy and a higher mass of glass for the designer to work with.

I guess I'd say I think the 8x33 is the best packing glass and the 8x42 would be the better sitting down glass. I think I might go 8x42 if using just one binocular. I tend to think that since the 10x has shown it does not work for you, that I would trade on an 8x42. Use it and the 8x32 you have and see which wins.

I've owned a pair os Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL for about 5 years and can glass all day with them and have never wanted any other glass since I bought these.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom