A business decision for companies to be 'woke'???

feddoc

Long Time Member
Maybe. Like most things in life, follow the money.

"The big brands that go woke infuriate conservatives because, like Coke, Gillette, or Nike, they have a storied name that seems entwined with America and the success of capitalism. But it’s those old, familiar brands that go woke because their products and business models are dated. Virtue signaling is their way of adapting to a changing market without really innovating. Behind every big woke brand is a company slowly going broke and with no clue what to do about it. "

I have a very hard time believing Coca Cola is going broke. If you travel much to third world countries they are practically the only brand of anything to drink that isn't water. The other thing is you get outside of the US and Europe and nobody gives two spits about if you are a racist bigoted homophobe.

If I had to imagine the the US market is a 1/16 mark an a yard stick for the Coca Cola company.

Perhaps their “market share” and hence bottom line is being affected by some of us non-woke folks not buying. But I doubt my little bit of lost revenue makes any difference!

EFC9B6DC-DEF4-4351-A9BA-6AED0D2E6CE1.jpeg

Perhaps their “market share” and hence bottom line is being affected by some of us non-woke folks not buying. But I doubt my little bit of lost revenue makes any difference!
Hmmm, so you're not buying a product because of a company's politics?

When the left does it, it's called "cancel culture" but when the right does it, they call it "go woke, go broke."

But it's really the same thing.

When the left does it, it's called "cancel culture" but when the right does it, they call it "go woke, go broke."

That’s the rub with the polarization of these left/right issues today. Each side hates the other for doing the same BS that they are In fact themselves doing. It’s merely a distinction without a difference.

As much as I fear the wrath of capitalist mobs, a man’s dollar is really the only voice he has anymore.
Understood. I support people that support me, too.

But people run around parroting and condemning a catchphrase while proudly extolling it's virtues, and somehow think they're different. They're not.

There are literally four articles about Dr. Seuss right now on the front page of FNC. It's like they think they're on a "cancel culture awareness mission" for the right. While at the same time, the right proudly says they won't watch NFL, drink Coke, or shop at stores that quit selling AR15s. That's "cancel culture" too.

It's the same thing with actors that don't get hired for political reasons. Nobody is making you buy Coke, and nobody is making Disney hire a specific actor. But, they're the same

To quote Mitt Romney, "Money is speech." I don't have a problem with it, but people need to put their snowflake sensitivities back in the freezer and quit looking for reasons to be aggrieved. Cancelling somebody for cancelling somebody is still "cancel culture."

But people run around parroting and condemning a catchphrase while proudly extolling it's virtues, and somehow think they're different. They're not.

There are literally four articles about Dr. Seuss right now on the front page of FNC. It's like they think they're on a "cancel culture awareness mission" for the right. While at the same time, the right proudly says they won't watch NFL, drink Coke, or shop at stores that quit selling AR15s. That's "cancel culture" too.

It's the same thing with actors that don't get hired for political reasons. Nobody is making you buy Coke, and nobody is making Disney hire a specific actor. But, they're the same

To quote Mitt Romney, "Money is speech." I don't have a problem with it, but people need to put their snowflake sensitivities back in the freezer and quit looking for reasons to be aggrieved. Cancelling somebody for cancelling somebody is still "cancel culture."
I was with you until you quoted Romney:)

Chick FilA is doing fine

We've gone round this post before, I doubt you'll get it this time either. I'm not demanding the NFL cease to exist because I find their kneeling disrespectful, I simply choose to no longer watch it or allow my hard earned $ to make their way into their pockets. The left is demanding fox be banned from television. I simply choose to not watch CNN or MSNBC. The left has silenced Trump on Twitter and Facebook. If I find something on a platform I don't agree with, I voice my opinion or scroll on by. The left is taking down historical statues because they hurt their feelings. If I find something offensive I don't look at it or pay to see it. I could give you a hundred examples like this. One is a dumb, emotional, knee jerk overreaction. The other is a calm, private, calculated business decision. Feel free not to see the difference.....again.

Second time Ive seen you try to slip this past.

Show me where the Conservatives shut down Coke Manufacturing plants.

Coke is still here. They will pay a price for their wokeness.

Cancel culture is when you END production or career.

I cannot, find 6 Dr Suess books. I cannot find Aunt Jemima.

Stop trying to conflate 2 different things.

Second time Ive seen you try to slip this past.

Stop trying to conflate 2 different things.
The owners of Dr Seuss decided themselves to stop selling those books. It's a private company that made a decision for their business. Nobody made them do anything. That's free market! It's THEIR business.

You guys need to do some real research before you jump on the FNC bandwagon and start pedaling BS. Ted Cruz is tweeting that it's Bidens fault ?

The culture war snowflakes are getting really old constantly trying to keep score of "woke" people. Quit being offended by everything! What's the difference in that and the liberals? Nothing.

The owners of Dr Seuss decided themselves to stop selling those books. It's a private company that made a decision for their business. Nobody made them do anything. That's free market! It's THEIR business.

You guys need to do some real research before you jump on the FNC bandwagon and start pedaling BS. Ted Cruz is tweeting that it's Bidens fault ?

Why do you think they decided to do that Grizz? Let's see how intellectually honest you are.

Why do you think they decided to do that Grizz? Let's see how intellectually honest you are.
Because they felt they were racist... they were pretty clear about that. Also, some of the books weren't even still in production and another only sold 5,000 copies last year. That's compared to 338,000 copies of Green Eggs & Ham. You can decide for yourself if they would've stopped selling a Best Seller. I won't make that guess since I don't know and don't care.

I'm not out looking for things to offend me, it's really quite peaceful.

They're a private company and can do what they want. If you're so broke up about it, go write your own children's books with racial stereotypes. I'll defend your right to do it.

'merica!

Doubtful

Says the guy that has repeated, "go woke, go broke." What do you think happens to a company that goes broke?

Some of the books have been out of production for years. And you had no idea until Tucker told you to be ticked that they would STAY out of production. Also, head down to Walmart and pick yourself up some of this delicious syrup, it's the same stuff with a new name. Companies change brands all the time. (Heck, Stellantis, the Netherlands-based car company, calls their trucks Ram now instead of Dodge.)

Screenshot_20210304-203445_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm pretty sure America can survive syrup rebranding and not having new editions of a children's book that hasn't been printed in years. I know I can.

So?

You're Sayin We're Getting Out Numbered By Pussssies?

Doubtful

Says the guy that has repeated, "go woke, go broke." What do you think happens to a company that goes broke?

Some of the books have been out of production for years. And you had no idea until Tucker told you to be ticked that they would STAY out of production. Also, head down to Walmart and pick yourself up some of this delicious syrup, it's the same stuff with a new name. Companies change brands all the time. (Heck, Stellantis, the Netherlands-based car company, calls their trucks Ram now instead of Dodge.)

View attachment 34560

I'm pretty sure America can survive syrup rebranding and not having new editions of a children's book that hasn't been printed in years. I know I can.

Liberals are flaming idiots that eat their own. The Obama's had high praise for the Dr. Seuss books. I guess they do not know what is racist after all.
Another liberal company, EBay is planning to pull all the USED Dr. Seuss books off of their site that are for sale.
I bet Joe asked Nancy if the Dr. Seuss books were racist. like he did ask her if it was alright for him to take questions. No Joe! it was not alright, shutup!!!

RELH

The culture war snowflakes are getting really old constantly trying to keep score of "woke" people. Quit being offended by everything! What's the difference in that and the liberals? Nothing.

It probably is. He would struggle reading at that level given his condition.

Word games. That what this is. "Its not cancel culture its done by private companies". What damn difference does that make?

Again. If you believe(which only the dumbest of the dumb believe) that far left wing Dr Suess was a closet racist, and dog whistled racism through kids books, then DONT BUY THEM.

I believe the NFL sold out to the woke crowd so I "dont buy them"

Apparently, the muppets now have a warning label(again, the dumbest of the dumb), while stupid, that is how you treat objectionable material.

But then i guess Universal Studios and Seuss just happened, in the same week, to independently decide Seuss was a closet Klansman.

Btw, the libraries that will now remove those books, ARE PUBLICALLY FUNDED. Meaning GOVERNMENT. But dont let that little sticking point get in the way of your incorrect narrative

Doubtful

View attachment 34560

I borrowed that phrase.

Supposedly as an American i believe companies have the right to make stupid decisions, and in doing so have the right to suffer the consequences.

As a buisness owner, I try to not go out of my way to piss if a share of my customers. Mainly because doing so will hurt the buisness.

Thus, go woke, go broke.

Now. If I advocated, via media, and government, to dynamite NFL stadiums, tech ban the NFL off of every platform, and every provider, coerce banks to refuse payment systems, etc, etc, etc, I would be CANCEL CULTURE.

I try SUPER hard to not shop at WalMart to start with, so I dont know what they sell.

You had to go dig to support your narrative. Those books arent banned because they weren't selling well. Go read the statement from the publisher. It DOES NOT say anything about sales figures. Nor does Universal Studios who just happen to discover the presence of the Seuss KLAN in its facilities.

You are right. I didnt know about the ban until it hit media. Mainly because my youngest are both 11.

I was thinking Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn would be good reading. Oh wait? Another financial decision based on publishing numbers casuality?

Well, at least it was a private company decision, oh wait, you mean PUBLIC libraries and PUBLIC education banned that book also?

Cant be. Cancel culture is a figment of my imagination. Ill tell the fellas on Parler, they will be relieved?

Remember back in the '80s when Coke switched to New Coke? They had to reintroduce Coke Classic because New Coke sucked. That was a private company decision that just about sank them. Decisions have consequences!

Remember back in the '80s when Coke switched to New Coke? They had to reintroduce Coke Classic because New Coke sucked. That was a private company decision that just about sank them. Decisions have consequences!
Agreed, companies can make decisions and the public can choose to support them or not. That's exactly the way it's intended to be.

Many people on MM will stop buying Dr Seuss books in protest. On the other hand, per Rolling Stone...

"As of Wednesday, nine out of the top 10 selling books on Amazon were Dr. Seuss titles, with “The Cat in the Hat,” “Green Eggs and Ham,” and “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!,” holding the top three spots respectively."

Grizz you are so woke you have not woke up yet.

Even the woke crowd don't deny the difference between speaking with buying power and the cancel culture.

WHAT DOES CANCEL CULTURE MEAN?​

Cancel culture refers to the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming

Cancel culture means taking out any republican who supports the constitution over der Fuhrer. you know, like Liz Cheney. if this is okay but a few fags not getting beat up is a bad thing there's your sign.

Coke is broke ? I take it you don't trade the markets much. a steady $50 stock that's paying normal dividends is not broke by any means in the real world.

Cancel culture means taking out any republican who supports the constitution over der Fuhrer. you know, like Liz Cheney. if this is okay but a few fags not getting beat up is a bad thing there's your sign.

Coke is broke ? I take it you don't trade the markets much. a steady $50 stock that's paying normal dividends is not broke by any means in the real world.
Have others on this site notice it is mostly one individual that takes a thread to politics!
Is it because he can not debate the facts!
Or is it he just has to try and get the last word in!

Well then cancel me . see if I care . maybe in your world there is no dissent but in the real world there is. we're called the majority. I'm the minority here and you feel I'm a threat to your circle jerk and you resent me and feel the need to whine about it. and for that we thank you.

You're the one staying away from facts. I said the GOP wants to CANCEL anyone who dare not kiss the ring of der failing Fuhrer . Like Cheney, Rove, Sasse, Romney and so many other real republicans. no ?

I said Coke is a solid stock holding value and paying normal dividends. no ?

I'm as against cancel culture as anyone. I'm just pointing out the gross hypocrisy and asking some unpopular questions. sorry.

Agreed, companies can make decisions and the public can choose to support them or not. That's exactly the way it's intended to be.

Many people on MM will stop buying Dr Seuss books in protest. On the other hand, per Rolling Stone...

"As of Wednesday, nine out of the top 10 selling books on Amazon were Dr. Seuss titles, with “The Cat in the Hat,” “Green Eggs and Ham,” and “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!,” holding the top three spots respectively."

So people buying books because they see that they are in the cross hairs supports your narrative?

Did all these new buyers just discover reading? They never heard of Dr Seuss? Why on earth would all the sudden this books become collectors items?

Btw, using your logic, sales are through the roof, so there is no reason to cancel poor selling books, right?

Liberals are flaming idiots that eat their own. The Obama's had high praise for the Dr. Seuss books. I guess they do not know what is racist after all.
Another liberal company, EBay is planning to pull all the USED Dr. Seuss books off of their site that are for sale.
I bet Joe asked Nancy if the Dr. Seuss books were racist. like he did ask her if it was alright for him to take questions. No Joe! it was not alright, shutup!!!

RELH

Too bad. I wanted to ask Joe what he had for breakfast. Really stump him.

Well then cancel me . see if I care . maybe in your world there is no dissent but in the real world there is. we're called the majority. I'm the minority here and you feel I'm a threat to your circle jerk and you resent me and feel the need to whine about it. and for that we thank you.

You're the one staying away from facts. I said the GOP wants to CANCEL anyone who dare not kiss the ring of der failing Fuhrer . Like Cheney, Rove, Sasse, Romney and so many other real republicans. no ?

I said Coke is a solid stock holding value and paying normal dividends. no ?

I'm as against cancel culture as anyone. I'm just pointing out the gross hypocrisy and asking some unpopular questions. sorry.
I think someone got his feelings hurt!
?

So people buying books because they see that they are in the cross hairs supports your narrative?

Did all these new buyers just discover reading? They never heard of Dr Seuss? Why on earth would all the sudden this books become collectors items?

Btw, using your logic, sales are through the roof, so there is no reason to cancel poor selling books, right?
You really don't get it. I don't have a narrative. I don't care. I'm not all worked up because of a book with racial stereotypes. And I'm not all worked up about the name of syrup I don't eat or the availability of a book I wasn't going to buy anyway.

The cancel culture snowflakes spend so much time trying to keep track of who's offended them by being offended by somebody else. It is absolutely stupid. But apparently it gets "clicks" because that's all FNC pushes anymore.

Keep on "clicking" though, I'm sure Dr Seuss and Coke are chaining their doors shut as we type.

As I read through this thread again, I think it comes down to one major difference in thought.

Either you think changing names or kneeling at a football game is a major threat to our way of life, or you don't.

I doubt anybody's mind is getting changed one way or another.

As I read through this thread again, I think it comes down to one major difference in thought.

Either you think changing names or kneeling at a football game is a major threat to our way of life, or you don't.

Politics is downstream of culture
-Ben Shapiro

Kneeling at a football game during our National Anthem, protesting our police, military, and our flag is a lot different than buying a darn Coke.
The main difference in this thread is that you and togwoke want to keep attacking conservatives and saying that they all love Trump and FNC. But, that is the dem's playbook, lump everyone into a group and call them deplorable.
On another note, I love Coke, I quit drinking it cause I'm a fat a$$ and figure water is better for me. I don't care that your party is butt hurt because a book made up of fictional characters, isn't inclusive. But I'll promise you this, If any business comes out supporting gun control or is against our cops or military, I'll quit buying from them. Call it cancel culture if you want.
Have a blessed day.

Kneeling at a football game during our National Anthem, protesting our police, military, and our flag is a lot different than buying a darn Coke.
The main difference in this thread is that you and togwoke want to keep attacking conservatives and saying that they all love Trump and FNC. But, that is the dem's playbook, lump everyone into a group and call them deplorable.
On another note, I love Coke, I quit drinking it cause I'm a fat a$$ and figure water is better for me. I don't care that your party is butt hurt because a book made up of fictional characters, isn't inclusive. But I'll promise you this, If any business comes out supporting gun control or is against our cops or military, I'll quit buying from them. Call it cancel culture if you want.
Have a blessed day.
You're right ?

Maybe this will help you understand what cancel culture really means, and which side it belongs to.

Nine f'n years worth! And it still ain't over!

Im sure Grizzly will be in to tell you you watch too much Fox.

That's always the fall back . Dont tell him that conservatives bailed on Fox after the 2nd debate, just keep that a secret.

Afterall, as we all know, theres tons of examples of gay cakeakers the right had harassed and tried to cancel for 9 years. Its all the same?

The left will ban you from a cake shop if you dont have a mask. But GAWD forbid, you believe anything other than them

The left learned long ago, the punishment ISNT a favorable/unfavorable ruling. The punishment IS the legal process. Dude can win for 100 years, but is punished with lawyers fees to do it.

That is one reason why our civil lawsuit laws need to be changed. If you bring a lawsuit against another person or company and you lose in court, you should have to also pay the defendant's bill for his/her legal service. That would stop alot of frivolous lawsuits.
RELH

That is one reason why our civil lawsuit laws need to be changed. If you bring a lawsuit against another person or company and you lose in court, you should have to also pay the defendant's bill for his/her legal service. That would stop alot of frivolous lawsuits.
RELH

Those lawyers will never kill the Golden goose. They'll just keep gatherin eggs!

You are right about that. There are shyster lawyers that make a living on filing frivolous lawsuits banking on the insurance company paying a out of court settlement that would be cheaper then fighting them in court and winning.

RELH

Im sure Grizzly will be in to tell you you watch too much Fox.

That's always the fall back . Dont tell him that conservatives bailed on Fox after the 2nd debate, just keep that a secret.

Afterall, as we all know, theres tons of examples of gay cakeakers the right had harassed and tried to cancel for 9 years. Its all the same?

The left will ban you from a cake shop if you dont have a mask. But GAWD forbid, you believe anything other than them

The left learned long ago, the punishment ISNT a favorable/unfavorable ruling. The punishment IS the legal process. Dude can win for 100 years, but is punished with lawyers fees to do it.

I bailed on fox when the kids took over.

I hate to beat a dead horse but I think more than a few guys predicted book burning.

Gruzz I thought it was just a private family decision.
It's astonishing at how many people have been fooled...

All the books the library is going to yank have been checked out and not available. I think they're probably on ebay awaiting the highest bid. Never pass up the opportunity to make a buck.

In my business our only purpose is to quality products, competitive pricing and high service levels in the food distribution business. Companies that are woke loose track of their purpose.

A memo from retail giant Best Buy was revealed on Tuesday highlighting the company's professional development program for employees who "identify as Black, Latino, Hispanic, Asian or Pacific Islander."
The program is not open to white applicants," investigative journalist James O'Keefe said.

The whole "going woke" thing is certainly polarizing, and you've laid out some valid points.
Let's consider the idea of brands going woke as a calculated risk. Sometimes being a coin flipper might just work for these companies. Both sides have their own set of risks and rewards. Going woke could alienate a part of their customer base but could also attract a newer, more socially conscious one.
I see your point about dated business models driving some companies toward virtue signaling as a way to adapt. But it's also a way for these brands to remain relevant in a rapidly changing social landscape. Sure, for some, it might come off as desperate or inauthentic, and yes, some may be hemorrhaging money.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom