A little help for a kid's first hunt?

M

Mack4469

So my boy drew a cow elk tag for the Wasatch Unit. I've been up there and looked around a little and know how to get around the unit somewhat. I took him up for the opening weekend (trout creek ridge area) and sadly we didn't even see an elk. We worked hard, several hikes off the roads of about a mile or so (about my limit to get one out by myself! 12y/o's aren't much help in that part!)I felt bad for the kid, because he was a trooper and didn't utter a single complaint (not even about the 6am 24degree mornings!)He deserved better than he got. His comment was "we put in the work...why didn't we at least see some?" I wish we'd have been hunting deer, as he had three close range (100yds or less) encounters with decent four points. It figure's...

I told him that if he works hard and gets ahead on schoolwork this week I will pull him out for another try on Thur-Fri. Here's where I am hoping for a little help. I know elk spots are a closely guarded secret and I wouldn't be so bold as to ask for GPS or anything, but if anyone here could shed a little light on where the elk head to on this unit and where I could hike my son into that he'd maybe get a chance I be grateful. PM anything you'd like to keep secret...and I promise it will be kept secret.

Thanks! Dave

What unit specifically? depending on which one, I may be able to help steer you in the right direction.

It's the Wasatch Unit (the greater Currant Creek Reservior area)It is that HUGE area between UT HWY 35 (wolf creek pass) on the north to US HWY 40 (by Strawberry Res) on the south. The Division claims there are more elk there than any other unit. When you consider the sheer size of the area, it doesn't suprise me. There's a lot of country to hide in.

Thanks!

Patience is a tough thing to learn. Make sure that he enjoys the hunts, even if you don't see anything. Take time to teach him things that might interest him. Let him be a bit of a kid if he is still so inclined. Tell him stories of your hunts as you rest every now and then. Let him guide and make some decisions and talk to him about how he makes them...

mm is so right. My best hunts were the ones I walked out glad to just make it back to camp!!! There is some times a lot of distance has to be covered between you and there> The critters don't care if you can get there or not. It's hunting and as long as you are doing the right thing it works sooner or later. I think part of it is pushing yourself to the limits. It's dry this year so go high my friend. Elk seem to like the highest water they can get and still be close to food.

Call me if you want to know a good spot.my brother had a bull tag for up there and we seen lots of cows cant garentee they are still there but i will give you directions call any night after tonight between 6 and 8 pm iam of to a meeting right now but would love to help you.Phone # 435-671-8858 and my name is slate

Like the guys said before, just make it fun for him. Let him build the fire, pick which way to go on the trail, ect.... Hang out, laugh and be a kid. Go out of your way to make it all about spending time together and the elk being the bonus. If he sees that you are having a blast with him, the elk will be the icing on the cake. Good luck, there are some good guys on here that will put you on some elk!

BC

Dave,

That area is big but the elk are there. Don't overlook the area in between strawberry river road, hwy 40, co-op creek and bjorkman (pretty sure that isn't the correct spelling). That should make sence when looking at a map. I hunt that area quite a bit elk are, or have been in there. This is no secret area so I don't feel like I am giving away anyone's secret spot.

Also, if the elk are still high, try straight up and slightly to the east of chicken creek. Saw a number of elk up high not too long ago.

Trout creek is a great area and one that I have hunted before and seen elk. I'm just not as familiar with it as I am the areas just west of it.

Feel free to give me a buz if you want more specifics as I would be happy to help.

I have a books rifle tag this year so, yeah - hoping for some good carma!! :)

Jeremy
801-362-9997

our group has cow tags for this area and we did take some cows up by currant creek lake. we parked at the dam and road four wheelers up the road from there. there are several areas up there to glass and we ended up taking cows not to far from the road. still about a mile haul out but not bad. We did see one guy cleaning an elk about 10 yards from the road. what a lucky guy. take a look up there, we are heading back up there this weekend to try and fill our last tag, which happens to me mine. There are a lot of elk up in that area as well.

DH101,

The area you are mentioning is not in the correct unit the co-op road is the west boundary for the wasatch current creek cow elk unit. However the area around chicken creek is in the unit and does hold elk.

Arrow

>DH101,
>
>The area you are mentioning is
>not in the correct unit
>the co-op road is the
>west boundary for the wasatch
>current creek cow elk unit.
> However the area around
>chicken creek is in the
>unit and does hold elk.
>
>
>Arrow

I was going off memory but glad you called it out - don't want to steer anyone to the wrong places.

Any of the fingers around the lake should have elk on them. Take your time glassing from the road, clear to the tops. A spot and stalk deal will be fun for him and keep him excited all the way to the top of the hill.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom