A little wager

Zigga

Long Time Member
You know how gas prices jump just before holidays? I believe it's strictly to bend us over and not supply and demand and all the other bs they try to tell us. Who wants to bet that gas will be outfrigginrageous come October, November, December? Seeing as how w is leaving office and all. In the oil companies eyes it will be their last chance to really rake in some cash. If the oil companies say that this is all out of their hands then why don't they give us all some kickbacks from all their huge profits? Someone should make a pool on what gas prices will peak at just before w leaves office. December 25th will be my target date for the highest gas prices on record at $5.85 per gallon for the cheap stuff. This could be an interesting pool. Whoever wins gets a whole gallon of gas........or diesel.

Zigger,

You should get a job on the radio selling heating oil......with that kind of insight.

JB

Zigga;

The nice thing about it is that the Dems will take the heat for it for supporting all those enviromentals on drilling and no new plants to refine the oil. It is already happening in CA. and this state is noted for listening to the libs. Not any more and even less as the prices go up. As I said before, the people are going to vote with their pocket books as #1 priorty.

RELH

well then McBush better hope that doesn't happen.

Once again do I have to remind you prior to 17 moths ago who had full control of the whitehouse and congress for 6 years? wouldn't that have been a great trime to get those drill rigs going and some refineries built? was it one their top priorities? we didn't hear much about it until it was too late. this has built up for years and China pushed it over the top, both parties are to blame for lack of foresight. but Bush was president when the economy took a dump so right or wrong he has paid and McBush will as well, Obama has no answers but he is a change, right now that alone will get votes.

"As I said before, the people are going to vote with their pocket books as #1 priorty."

RELH! Care to make a little side bet as to who controls congress and the white house come Jan. 1 2009?????

RUS

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 09:02PM (MST)[p]I think you liberal dems are forgetting one big fact. Obama and his Dems are still stating no drilling, no new refinery plants. McCain has already started the ball rolling by advocating drilling and upping the oil production here.
I was attending a large gathering on the coast this past week and talked with about 40 persons from the bay area of CA. Most were registered as Dems and stated almost to the person that they will not be voting for Obama due to his stance on the oil drilling and gas prices and they felt that McCain was right about the economy concerning the high gas prices we are paying. Also quite a few were very upset with the Dem congress, that they had voted for, due to their stance concerning the oil crisis. You better save your money and send it to your liberal candidate of choice, they may need it come election time to tell everyone that they are flipflopping on their stance on the oil crisis.
I was talking to a die hard Dem. who told me that he has voted party in the past, but will not vote for Obama this time. He had a name for Obama. He called him "Rockbama" meaning rockbottom and he felt that this country will hit rock bottom if Obama gets elected. About knocked me over.
Ca. has a lot of registered Dems and many of them can be called somewhat liberal, but they are working people that must commute 40-100 miles a day to work five days a week. They are getting fed up with the Dems. stance on no new drilling and no new oil refineries in CA. to help lesson the price of gas.
They are also pissed at our GOP Gov."Arnie" for siding with the Dems on no new drilling off the coast. We are going to see alot of Dems jumping ship on the party this time around.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 09:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 09:15?PM (MST)

Zigga said: "If the oil companies say that this is all out of their hands then why don't they give us all some kickbacks from all their huge profits?"

apparently you don't understand owning stocks in companies? The "kickback" has already been flowing, especially with alot of these companies buying back their own stocks. The dividends have been really nice on some oil stocks as well.

Some current kickbacks available to you.

"After plowing $21 billion of that cash back into exploration and production projects last year, the company essentially gave the rest of it back to shareholders. It spent $28 billion repurchasing shares (the company has bought back 20% of its shares in the past five years), and this year it raised its annual dividend by 14%, to $1.60 a share. At the current share price, the stock yields 1.8%"

"Over the past 19 years through March 31, Exxon's stock returned an annualized 15.1%, compared with an annualized 10.7% for Standard & Poor's 500-stock index."

"Even after all that, the company still has $41 billion -- nearly $8 per share -- of cash on its books. In a downturn, when the prices of new properties and projects come back to earth, Exxon can go on a nice buying spree, if it wants to. Some analysts suggest that the company is husbanding some of its cash just for that purpose."

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/picks/archive/2008/pick0620.htm

I have been getting my kickback from the oil companies since they were cheap stocks back in the 1990's. You don't even have to be an evil speculators to own a piecs of a publicly owned company.

So I will wager that gasoline goes higher in 2009 after Obama is elected because 80% of the worlds oil reserves are locked up by governments and they won't open the oil spigot just because we elect a democrat. If the President of the U.S. had a giant easy button in the oval office to press in order to bring down the price of gasoline it would have been pressed daily since the days of the Coolidge administration.

Why not make it for something fun. If I lose I will take you on a Montana upland bird hunt for huns and sharptail, will even through in duck and goose just for fun, maybe pheasants as well, I will provide access to private lands and lodging. If you lose you take me on a hunt in your home state.

Nemont

".....meaning rockbottom and he felt that this country will hit rock bottom if Obama gets elected."

That is friggin hilarious!! You mean we're not there yet???????

Thanks for the laugh. I had to run and get tissue to wipe the laughy tears from my eyes. Now where were we.......oh yeah. Remember when the dollar had value? Is it not proper to blame bush for devaluing the dollar or is that Clinton's fault too? This horse zhit about not drilling is getting old. We took over an oil rich country and look what it did. w hasn't lifted a finger to try and get away from oil dependency whether it's foreign or not. BECAUSE HE'S AN OIL MONGER!

I still remember when w took office and gave all the money back to the ultra rich that Clinton built up. I think the comparison they used was the rich getting a shiny new Dodge viper and the poor getting the hubcap off of it. Had we had that before 911 coupled with actually attacking the right country we would be in really good shape financially and we could afford to axe a few lousy dictators with a handful of cruise missiles.

So are you guys not interested in the spike in the price of a gallon of gas before January? There is a whole gallon of gas at stake here. I'm buying.

lets make it for something fun since you are so sure you will win. See my above post. If you don't like bird hunting then pick something: Turkeys, Milk River Whitetails, Muleys, Speed goats. Something beside a gallon of gas.

Nemont

Nemont,

The timeframe I am looking at is pre-January. I don't doubt that gas will go higher in 09 after Obama gets elected. He isn't going to fix things overnight but things will get much better during his first term than things are right now. I am looking for the similar gas spike that we see before major holidays.

So let us know how much in kickbacks you got from the gas companies? Let's see figures. I'm pretty sure the average American doesn't make enough to sink money into gas stocks to really make $4.00+ dollars a gallon worth while. Are you the average American? I know people that make money on gas stocks but they are already worth several mill so it doesn't really matter to them anyway.

Nemont, just stuck a chunck of change in natural gas wells .... if it works out I would really like to do a quality pheasant hunt... pm me if serious!

RUS

Lets see!!! zigga issued a challege based on his belief that he will win. Nemont accepted that challege and really upped the anti to make it a worthwhile challege.
Zigga still wants to go cheap for a gallon of gas. sounds like zigga feels his chance of winning is not that great after all. Zigga that puts you and your challege into the same catagory, "CHEAP" .
Nemont, if that does not bring Zigga out of the woodwork, you can write him off as all hot air.

RELH

Zigga,

I consider myself pretty average. I am willing to bet that I drive older vehicles and have a smaller house then the average middle class American.

As for my oil company investments: they have done real good as of late. I can still pick some real clunkers though when it comes to stocks, I bought alot of Starbucks just before their nose dive, I need those oil company stock to continue to perform so that I can make up my losses from elsewhere. BNSF has been good especially after Warren Buffet starting buying it up also.

Anybody with a firing brain cell can purchase stocks in oil companies. My kid makes enough money mowing lawns to have money in investments.

I have put up some good incentives to come on some really fun hunts. Hit a goose field in the morning then walk some to shoot some prairie birds. I will even throw in a day of walley fishing on Fort Peck if that is what you would rather put on the line. Obama is going to be president and he will not make the price of gas cheaper for you.

Nemont

"Obama is going to be president and he will not make the price of gas cheaper for you." Al Gore will love him for that.

Ransom

The president doesn't set the price of gas, but it's hard to imagine Obama could do any worse.

China and India's economy will decide gas prices. so go buy some more Chinese crap and sub out some more labor to India. they need money to buy the oil we used to buy.

>The president doesn't set the price
>of gas, but it's hard
>to imagine Obama could do
>any worse.
>
> China and India's economy will
>decide gas prices. so go
>buy some more Chinese crap
>and sub out some more
>labor to India. they need
>money to buy the oil
>we used to buy.

You better tell Zigga that because he believe that GWB gets up in the morning and says, "I think $5.05 a gallon has a nice ring to it".

The price of oil may collapse or it may move higher or it may hover around it's current price. One thing is for sure the President, whether Obama or McCain, doesn't choose the price. I wonder what the Dems will have to complain about when they have total control over the White House and Congress? Especially if gas prices remain high. Since nobody will be able to blame GWB just as nobody could blam WJC for anything that occured on his watch.

Nemont

Zigga,

How about the wager, you taking it or not? I am leaving for the rest of the day to visit a client and then will be out the next couple of days to watch my 11 year old son play in the All Star Little League Tournment.

Happy 4th of July and God Bless the USA.

Nemont

If Obama wins not only will we have high fuel prices....but we will have to wait in line to buy it.

Larrbo;

Nothing wrong with that, if it does happen, we will have more Dem politicians out on the street 4 years from now for failing to deliver their promise of "change".

RELH

I think the gas prices on base on coples of problems. US dollar is low, & you have overseas investors betting on oil futures.Not Hillary or Oboman is going to break OPec or the oil companys. Jimmy Carter shut down 30 refinries, no new ones have been built. Our problems in the US need to be solve in the US.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-08 AT 05:10PM (MST)[p]I'm up for the challenge. So if you win then you are taking me hunting??? Why would I want to win?

So I guess all these stupid decisions by w haven't added up to the dollar being wortless and oil prices skyrocketing??? Just curious.

Zigga,

I am still unsure about what you are proposing but here is what I am willing to bet.

-I bet gasoline is less then $5.85 a gallon for the cheap stuff on Dec. 25ht 2008 (per your own criteria). If it is that price or higher then you pick which hunt you want me to take you on. Pheasants, antelope, mule deer, whitetails, turkeys, sharptail & huns or walleye fishing on Fort Peck. I don't have access to good elk hunting so won't offer that. You are responsible for secure license and tags, I will provide housing, access and local knowledge.

When did I ever mention stupid decisions by GWB and the declining value of the dollar? I said that anyone can share in the evil oil companies profits and dividends. If you own a mutual fund and/or are invested in a 401K plan you probably already have some oil company stock in your retirement plan.

I have a question for you. Do you believe in Global Warming?

Nemont

I do believe in global warming. The globe is getting warmer isn't it? I am pretty sure that is a fact. I also believe that man puts things into the air that aren't healthy and that the earth will be just fine but we won't unless we regulate toxins etc. It's not rocket science. Just as an experiment for some of you extreme rightys (not you Nemont) simply pull your car into the garage and close the garage door. Leave your vehicle running and roll the windows down. Don't shut the car off or open the garage door until I say "NOW". Pretend the garage is mother earth and you are..........you. Ready, GO!

To be more precise, my bet was that gas will spike over $.50 per gallon between October and xmas. Probably more. Kind of like the spike you see before major holidays. Don't tell me you haven't noticed. Did you notice the drop in gas prices before the elections? Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm. My 401k earnings do NOT compensate for the $4.02 per gallon of gas I am burning. (low octane costco gas) I do believe that Obama will win and that he will tweak policies to strengthen the dollar, therefore bringing gas prices down (not overnight). I was just referring to w making dumb decisions that have put us in the position we are in and the position the oil companies are in. Had Gore been elected we would probably be in a different predicament. Probably one I could actually afford. Nobody knows. So Nemont, are you the average American? I thought you said you made too much to get the tax stimulus. I am very interested in your hunts whether or not you win. :)

Let's define "average American"...

I made $60K last year with my wife staying at home with our three kids and do you know what I paid in taxes???

To quote Dan Rather when Ronnie was whipping Mondale ...

Sero, Zip, None!

That's right, I paid nothing. In fact, I got back more than I paid in! And that is not including the "pre-bate" check.

What's wrong with this picture? Am I the "little guy" everyone is worried about? I live within my means, but I have a 4 br 2 ba house with an in-ground pool built in 2000 in a nice neighborhood and drive two Expeditions (2001 models, though). I'm about to start paying $300/month for my son to go to Christian school and I'm doing fine.

Am I average?

DC

Zigga,

When it comes to hunting I am an American, no party affiliation there. I will hunt with anybody at least once and unless you are unsafe or a butthead you are generally welcomed back.

I have hunted with guys from this site who I agrued bitterly with about some issues and in person they were great people with a passion for hunting.

That being said I don't believe that Obama has enough of a grasp of economics to strenthen the dollar because he is going to propose more massive government spending, it really doesn't matter where we spend money if we have to continue to borrow it from the Chinese. Have you seen the turn around in Obama now that he has the nomination sewed up? Now supports the FISA bill that let's the telephone companies off the hook? Changed his tune slightly on Iraq and says conditions on the ground will have to dictate the strategy? All are common and all politicians do them but if you think he is the solution to your problems by all means support him.

As for the global warming question: I believe that the planet is getting warmer and if carbon emissions are the blame then high fuel prices are doing more to reduce carbon emission then any government tax scheme would have. People are parking their SUV's, driving less, car pooling, etc, etc. All behaviors that global warming advocates have been imploring people to do for years now. The reason the loony left wing doesn't like the reducition in carbon emissions is because it is market based and not a result of a government program.

While I hate paying higher costs for everything the high cost of fuel will change spur on development of alternatives sources of energy, reduce overall driving etc.

I am ready for GWB to go back to his "ranch" but I also believe we would be in the same exact situation if Al Gore had been president. Read a little of what Jim Rogers, George Soros's partner, has to say about the bull market in commodities. Beleive as you wish but if the president had control of all of this what is there to gain for the Republican party? Power trumps money in every situation, it is better to be in power then to have the money. Anyway, what exactly is the bet? I still don't know?

(just an average guy)
Nemont

I wonder what will cause a .50 cent spike in gas prices in Oct, Nov or Dec? Russia, Iran, GWB, China, India or a massive Hurricane?

Zigga,

It is going to be a GREAT upland bird hunting year. Was out to the ranch and HOLY HUNS, I have never seen huns like they are this year.

Just wanted to resurrect this as hunting season is drawing near and my trigger finger was twitching and the dog is going nuts.

Happy Hunting,

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-08 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]I'm getting my dog rattlesnake trained(?) on Thursday for the early season. She just turned 6 months. Prepare for the spike in gas prices by saving all your $6 bills.

".....meaning rockbottom and he felt that this country will hit rock bottom if Obama gets elected."

Wow! If we are not at rock bottom now then I don't know where we are. I don't think BO or McCain could do any worse than Mr. GW.... This country hasen't been this "rock bottom" since the great depression! GW is NOT a tough act to follow as Pres.

Zigga,

What kind of a pup do you have? Are you going to be chasing prairie birds or mountain grouse?

Nemont

I've got a 6 month old Brittany that says gas will be pushing $6 a gallon by October 19th. She's smart.

I'm not sure what I'll be chasing for sure. At least a blue grouse but hopefully some huns and prairie chickens.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom