A question for Remington mechanics

feddoc

Long Time Member
This happened to my bolt.
DSC00044.jpg

Can the bolt be fixed without sending the entire rifle in? I really would like to have it welded and/or drilled and tapped instead of soldered.

Dunno what happened...maybe poor solder, poor prep. The case was not stuck and was easy enough to pull out with my fingers. No other signs of an over pressure situation.

That's almost as bad as when my steering wheel came off in my hands on my Chevy! Didn't, doesn't make it a bad truck. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Very common problem with Rem. I
>have seen 3-4 where that
>has happen.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

I gotta wonder why it happened 3 days before I left for elk season. Two years prior the extractor broke....3 days before I left.

Sounds like a gremlin at work. Maybe your wife is fed up with your hunting trips. Check and see if there is any hammer marks on the bolt knob. If there is, do not dime me out, I hate ducking lead thrown my way.

RELH

My question is, when you drop several grand on a custom 700 remington, does the builder usually take steps to make sure this doesn't happen?

My buddy had this happen on a model 7. It put a down-turn on his trip for sure.

>My question is, when you drop
>several grand on a custom
>700 remington, does the builder
>usually take steps to make
>sure this doesn't happen?
>
>My buddy had this happen on
>a model 7. It
>put a down-turn on his
>trip for sure.

obviously, your builder didn't:) i love the 700. but, if i'm paying SEVERAL THOUSANDS of dollars for a custom, it ain't going to built around one.

>Always travel with a back up
>gun!!
>
>Ed
>
>If you ain't the lead dog,
>
>the view never changes

I had a bench gun built on a 700 action; luckily the headspace was near the same. I still took along another .300 just in case.

>Sounds like a gremlin at work.
>Maybe your wife is fed
>up with your hunting trips.
>Check and see if there
>is any hammer marks on
>the bolt knob. If there
>is, do not dime me
>out, I hate ducking lead
>thrown my way.
>
>
>