A RIGHT TO HUNT & FISH???

You absolutely want it in the constitution. In WY we have the right to hunt, fish and trap and without that there could be a general vote in the state and the privilege goes away, like trapping in Colorado, soon NM other states. Changing the constitution is an act of Congress and a much bigger deal to remove or amend. Special interest groups can get a petition with enough signatures then it’s on the ballot. The general population then votes. Like the front range voters in Colorado voting to put wolves west of the continental divide or potentially in the future vote to eliminate all hunting because Bambi should never die! So putting it in the constitution before you have a problem is a great idea!

No "right" is absolute. Crowded theater example, for instance. Or firearms by felons.

I don't see the harm in an Amendment, but we all need to know it's subject to rules set by the State... which could be anything from season dates to weapon restrictions or more.

This seems to be more of a "message bill" than something that will carry much weight.

What if it fails to pass voter approval? Will that do more harm than good?

I'd prefer something with teeth like Missouri, where they taxed EVERYONE for wildlife. Let the soccer mom's and east bench folk put their money where their mouths always seem to be anymore.

Might let us not "need" $fw welfare anymore.

Would actually accomplish something.

Statement politics are pretty useless.

Well it looks like on our life time paper work. They where putting down Privileges to make a point.

D5CF7AF7-B081-4AFA-B4C9-85B704E521AE.jpeg

This is absolutely fantastic! This is my favorite piece of legislation (even if it's just a joint resolution) I have ever seen in Utah. I'm writing this legislator and thanking him for this.

Everyone on this forum or any other hunting forum should be pushing this forward.

If this passes, our heritage will be preserved as a constitutional right. That doesn't mean everyone will be able to run out and kill all they want, it will still be subject to laws and regulations.

And as Grizz said, rights are not absolute. All constitutional rights are subject to reasonable regulation. And in this right it specifically states the right will be subject to laws and rules promulgated for conservation purposes.

Regardless, this is a great thing.

A privilege is an activity granted to a specific group of people based on a set of governing rules. Because my question was not answered about lifetime hunting and fishing, I have to assume that it would be a privilege for residents only. A right is something that is an inherent entitlement.

The right to hunt unmolested by gov't (aka law enforcement) is a privilege.

To say a right is not absolute means civil rights are just as "flimsy" as any other when the evolution of society and the moral understandings of man dictate otherwise.

The ability to hunt for self reliance is no less important than one's ability to defend life.

Modern society has allowed the follies of man to define one's agency. That's because man is too self absorbed in it's own selfish interests...

Hunting is a right, the action to do so is the only thing that may make it a privilege.

Neither residents nor nonresidents may obtain lifetime hunting and fishing privileges in Utah anymore. That has been off the table since 1994.

I was ask about hunting, being a right , or privilege many times as a hunters ed instructor. As instructors were were told to teach folks, that, hunting game animals is a privilege. I taught, that you needed to earn the privilege by passing hunters ed., if you were born after 65. And you had to follow game laws, or it could be taken away.
I guess you have a right to hunt, just not game animals, or nongame animals that are protected, like furbearers. Coyote, jackrabbits, starlings are a few that are not protected that come to mind. You would still be required to follow firearms laws.
Rights can be restricted felons-firearms, and voteing. Look how infringed the 2nd is not just for felons, but law abiding citizens in places like Cali, New York, Chicago.
Making Hunting a right would be fine, as long as it is regulated. You have a right to hunt, BUT, you would still need to gain privileges to harvest protected animals, and follow rules and laws regulation, that goes with different species of animals.

The whole purpose behind this is to be able to protect our heritage in a changing landscape in Utah.

20 years ago, the idea of a majority of people in our state being against hunting was unheard of. 20 years from now that could very well be our reality.

I wasnt against it, heII im for it. I was just trying to show how it should be done. No subsistance Rights ect.. you would need to create this in a way that supports the wildlife laws we have in place now .

When you begin to use the language that something is a right, it allows it to be codified into law and in the case about hunting, is a good thing. It is no longer a principle or concept.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom