A Scoring opinion on this Bighorn Sheep

wyo_bulls

Hey Guys, I have a friend who was lucky enough to draw a Sheep tag in Wyoming, only 2 tags given out and the other hunter has already filled out, so he is only one left hunting this area. He has been out and got a couple photos of a ram that he is deciding on taking or maybe not...But some of you sheep experts might be able to give a score out on the sheep below (pretty much the middle sheep in the pics), we have our opinions on him but wanted to see what you all may think?

5705sheep2.jpg

8709sheep1.jpg

8239sheep3.jpg

That one is not the best ram in the herd. The one on the left is. I think he goes mid to upper 160's, but would need more pictures from different angles.

The ram your friend picked has too tight of a curl to score anything.

I could see why you would think that, but he has his eye on the largest ram in that bunch. The ram on the left is 160 at the very best, yes he looks to have larger bases though. I have shot 2 rams in wyoming 168 & 172, that ram is samller by quite a bit. I attached a picture of (Ram on left) side profile, he now is the middle ram and the ram my friend is eying is now on the left in this picture.

5138sheep4.jpg

Tight softball hole curl type Ram.

Carries his mass well for such a tight curl but I would say kissing 150.....no lambs tip from what we can see from the photo's.

Does score Really matter on an OIL/DIY drawn tag?

He would make a simply beautiful mount in anyones home for sure!

Robb

The one on the left "my ram" in the first picture is on the very right in the latest picture. I think the one I like has bigger bases and is 2 inches longer. I know "your ram" has a full curl.

What I am focussing on though is the size of the ram(s) head. The ram I like is a bigger bodied animal and has a bigger head. The ram your buddy likes has a smaller head. You can scale this in the picture with your mouse pointer. My ram drops below the jaw line and flares a bit and remember he has a bigger head.

I think you will be dissapointed if you think the one you like will go 168. I think he is a little under 160.

On the other hand I think my ram goes 167. (35" x 15", 14", 12", 7.5").

I have to admit, I am only looking at photos. In the end neither ram is close to any record book so I would tell the hunter to shoot the one he likes. His opinion is all that matters.

You can school me when he kills one of them. I always like to see how far off I am.

Enjoy every moment because sheep hunts don't come along too often.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom