A special wolf job opportunity

Bluehair

Long Time Member
Ok you little cowboys, here’s your chance. It’s a little hard to tell from the presser, but it looks like we might could spend upwards of a million $bucks$ a year on DUDES to guard the wolves. So much for that pristine wilderness experience.

Anyway, get those applications in so we can all be Little Rangers. :)

CPW, Dept. of Ag Provide Information on Range Riders, Budget Proposals to State Legislature to Assist Ranchers, Livestock Owners

7480b21a-7551-fe09-8532-3eaf5a79ed53.jpg
Range riders are boots-on-the-ground support to livestock producers to help protect herds from wolves
DENVER - Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) and the Department of Agriculture (CDA) provided information today on range riders and budget proposals to the state legislature to assist ranchers and livestock owners. CDA and CPW are working on a plan to get on-the-ground assistance within the next two weeks with range riders.

CDA’s budget request to the legislature includes funding to hire range riders, who are boots-on-the-ground support to livestock producers to help protect herds from wolves. A human presence like a range rider can help detect wolves and deploy non-lethal deterrents to avoid depredation of livestock. While this request for range riders is pending at the legislature, CDA and CPW are deploying other available resources to provide immediate support and are working on a plan to deploy on the ground assistance through range riders this month.

Additionally, CPW and CDA are working closely with the herd owner and producers in Grand County to coordinate an immediate response to the depredation incident from April 2. The state agencies, which work together through a Memorandum of Understanding, have been building the capacity to anticipate and prepare for any predator livestock incidents and are working towards deploying range riders to help with non-lethal deterrence.

A dedicated Wolf Depredation Compensation cash fund has $175,000, provided from the state’s General Fund, in its balance and will receive $350,000 additional General Funds per fiscal year to keep a healthy balance in the fund on an ongoing basis. For the current fiscal year, CPW has spending authority for up to $175,000 from this fund to compensate livestock owners for wolf depredation. CPW requested increased ongoing spending authority of up to $525,000 per year beginning FY 24-25 in the department’s budget proposal, which is currently being considered by the General Assembly as part of the Long Bill.

CDA has a $580,936 General Fund request included in the Long Bill under consideration by the state legislature in FY 2024-25 and $424,647 General Fund ongoing to provide non-lethal wolf depredation assistance, including range riding and supplies to Colorado’s farmers and ranchers through a network of three wildlife managers.

When a depredation is confirmed, livestock producers will be eligible for fair market value compensation if a claim is submitted. CPW provides reimbursement for damages caused by gray wolves to livestock defined in C.R.S. 33-2-105.8 and animals used for guard/herding purposes and may provide conflict minimization materials under its Gray Wolf Compensation and Conflict Minimization Program. Following the recent incident in Grand County, CPW staff will continue contacting producers in the area, and encouraging the use of appropriate non-lethal deterrents available through the agency.

I notice that SS! Hit that help wanted add right off. I believe he would be an excellent wolf advocate. He could wear a bus driver hat while preaching a sermon about the benefits of biodiversity to the wolf tourons. I can see it (y)

I notice that SS! Hit that help wanted add right off. I believe he would be an excellent wolf advocate. He could wear a bus driver hat while preaching a sermon about the benefits of biodiversity to the wolf tourons. I can see it (y)
I’d help any effort to establish reintroduce native species on the landscape. I hope those native wolves help with those non native moose you have running around there!

He's more likely to wear a pork chop sandwich.

I’d help any effort to establish reintroduce native species on the landscape. I hope those native wolves help with those non native moose you have running around there!
Down boy!……..I have 22 points for mooses.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom