A12/X6B help

20yarder

I was fortunate enough to draw A12 this year, I am local to the area however have never hunted the unit. I’m hoping for any insight on where to start looking. I’m pressed for time as I drew an archery tag in NV this year as well so I will be splitting time scouting and hunting both units. Any help/info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Have you reviewed the DFW Spotkill Maps?

Obviously 2021 map is likely not as representative due to the Beckworth Complex fire but previous years seem relatively concentrated and you can see which were Archery.

Have you reviewed the DFW Spotkill Maps?

Obviously 2021 map is likely not as representative due to the Beckworth Complex fire but previous years seem relatively concentrated and you can see which were Archery.
I have not reviewed those recently, actually hadn’t even crossed my mind this year, thanks for the info I will definitely do that.

My wife actually drew X6B for the first time. She had 1 pp and I had 5... She nailed it. I have never hunted this unit but have had friends draw with successful hunts. I have an idea of the area I plan on taking her, but I wouldn't mind picking a few of y'all's brains either. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I'm about 9 hours away and I just used up 5 pref points and drew a12. Pretty excited about it as it's the best tag I've ever drawn and I've never got a deer yet. Any insight on places to stay? Wondering if it's worth hauling a travel trailer way out there. I prefer to find a place to stay within the zone. Also open to outfitter recommendations, if there are any familiar and active within the zone.
Thanks in advance for any guidance. will post updates.

I have not hunted this unit since late 80’s. With the fires it is a lot different than I remember it then. I think I will be hunting on the Adams Peak side because with the burn you can see a couple miles in all directions. I am hoping there will be movement as way back there were huge deer I’d seen harvest when I was a teen.

I was fortunate enough to draw A12 this year, I am local to the area however have never hunted the unit. I’m hoping for any insight on where to start looking. I’m pressed for time as I drew an archery tag in NV this year as well so I will be splitting time scouting and hunting both units. Any help/info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
How did/are you doing? Finding many bucks. I scouted three weeks back and didnt see a whole lot.

Not to be a debbie downer and friends have this area but...
the biologist wanted a curtailment of tags from X6-X8 because the winter kill was so bad. Wasn't approved. I usually hunt X7's and she said bad year to draw. Went a different route.
We just did a pronghorn hunt there and saw exactly 0 deer and we were in an area where they should have been. I expected to see deer early and late on the hillsides or gullies, water or? but zero. My wife kept asking where's the deer?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom