A20 suscess and first archery buck

hntnnut

Well after archery hunting off and on for the last 20 years and consistantly for the last 6 I finally got my first archery buck up in A20. I put in a lot of miles but the actual taking of this buck was kinda of anticlamatic. Heres the money shot and more to come later after some sleep and a shift at work.
026small.jpg

Ok now that I got a little time A little more on my hunt. I left work early on wednesday before the opener and got up to the camp early thrs. morning and got my prefered site although I was a little perturbed to find that my favorite campground was sold out to a consession charging 12.00 for the site and 5.00 for each aditional car. and all you get is a toilet, table and a fire ring that was off limits to use.

My rig,
097small.jpg

Anyways I got two relaxing days in camp all to my self before the season started. Friday afternoon I start getting my gear in order and making sure all my paperwork is in order. I get to checking my licences, hunting, fishing, bear, Oh crap no deer tag. The mut and I jump in the truck and haul ass to Bridgeport so I could make a call to my wife and buddy who were suppost to be heading up by that time. I make the call and the first thing out of her mouth was you for got your deer tag didn't you? And not to worry she had it. What a relief.

We all slept in on Saturday. I got out about 11:00 and made a 6 mile loop above camp getting back at dark and only seeing does and spikes. Sunday came a little earlier and we were out by 8:00 stillhunting the quakies about 2:00 we jumped a group of 5 bucks and 2 does out of a small patch but never got a shot. On the way back to camp we flushed a couple Spruce Grouce and after a bit of manuvering I wacked one at 20 yards ( I got a another later in the week so we had a grouse dinner)

016small.jpg

in the evning we took a run to Bridgeport and up to twin lakes to do a little fishing. well somewhere between town and the mono village I lost my GPS but didn't realize it until the next day.

Relaxing in camp

003small.jpg

One pooped pup

043small.jpg

Monday morning my wife had to leave for home due to work. so we again hunted late morning til about 1:00 then decided to head over to Buckeye for the afternoon and again only seeing spikes, does and fawns. We decided that since we were close to twin lakes we would run over and check to see if my GPS may have been turned in. On the way back down I spot a patch of hide way up the mountain so we stoped and put glass on it, sure enough it was legal so after about a 10 minute climb and stock I ranged him at 23 yards facing me, I drew and stood up and as soon stood he turned to slightly quarting away and I let the Terminator BH go. He ran up hill about 40 yards then looped back and piled up after another 10 yards. I had forgoten my camera so I drug him down near the road and retrieved my camera for a couple of pics.

The next night I was cooking up liver and the trailer started rocking really bad, first thought was earthquake but nothing else was shaking so walking around the trailer I cought the ass end of a good sized bear going the other way. I run into the tent and grabed the bear spray and by the time I got back out he had climbed into the back of my truck. I walked up to about 8 feet and hit him square in the face with the spray. I never knew bears could fly, but any ways he took off. 20 minutes later he was back, this time I went after him with the 44-40 shooting (in a safe direction) and yelling "bad bear" this kept him away for about an hour this time. When he came back for the third time I shot him square in the forehead with a 550 grain arrow tipped with a big rubber blunt. He came in 3 more times during the night but didn't seem to like the high pitched pizo alarm trip wire I had cobbled together, as he would leave immediately each time he tripped it. That was the only night he came into camp

Thursday, the wife showed back up and we all went into reno for gas and supplies. We stopped off at the Sportsman Whse. to look around, we were in there for about 30 minutes when I cought the wife at the archery counter talking to a salesman. I wen't over to see what she was up to, and she had picked out a bear home wreaker to try. The salesman took her back to their little range and it took all of 6 arrows to addict her, shes now saving her pennys so she can bow hunt with us next year.

On the way back to camp we stoped at the Carson river near Markleville where I got this 18" rainbow

046small.jpg

Anyway I saw 100 plus deer and 25 plus bucks (4 of which were absolute bruisers) during the 12 days I spent up there I also had 4 more bucks from 20-35 yards after I got mine while I as bear hunting.

I'm home now and wish I wasn't.

Richard

Congrats! Great story!
You had more patience with the bear than I would have had!
Like your camping rig!

Congrats on your first bow buck!,.hope there are lots to follow,..nice story and pics.,..nice to see a chessie in camp..
Mike

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-12 AT 00:25AM (MST)[p]hntnnut, Way nice Thread, Thanks!!

I too am liking your camp rig. I am more of a cab-over kinda guy but i can see a ton a great things that you can/could do with a trailer set-up like that and a lot of good meals that could be right handy to make up.

Thanks again for the nice post, pic's, and tale of the hunt! Congrats too on your buck!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom