ABQ area

backpacker

Have a question for anyone willing. I've seen people on this site ask for info on areas to live before so I thought I'd seek a little input myself.

I'm in the Air Force and got orders to Kirtland (hoping they don't get changed!), and was interested in opinions on which part of the the surrounding area is nicest. I've been living in UT the last 4 yrs and am looking forward to heading a little further south. Heard from a few people that actually living in Albuquerque might not be the best choice for me as I like a little more rural area. I think I might also be a little limited in my options though, as I'd probably have to get an apartment...unless someone's got a nice little place for rent :)

Thought I'd see what people have to say...

Well you certainly don't want to live near the base. Not the nicest part of town. If you want to live in the country and don't mind the commute (20-30 minutes) take a look at Tijeras-Cedar Crest area. Nice area, room to stretch a little. The NE heights is a nice area too. Close to all the biking/hiking trails. My folks and sister live on the west side (Paradise Hills-Taylor Ranch area) and it is your everyday neighborhood, could be anywhere USA. Hope the info helps.

I live in rural (desert) Rio Rancho and like it a lot. But every year the traffic gets worse and it's almost an hour drive home now from my job at Kirtland. When I moved up here from the southern part of the state, a realtor told me that Rio Rancho has the second lowest crime rate in the state. So, I asked who had the lowest. His answer was "It sure isn't Albuquerque!!" Rio Rancho has the best schools if you have kids. We've never had any crime or vandalism in the 12 years we've lived here. The East Mountains would be my next choice.
-- Bob

I work on the base, and live 20 miles south of ABQ in a little farming community called Peralta. Not a bad place at all, very friendly and a little slower paced. 15 minutes to coyote/dove/quail hunting ain't bad either.

Not a whole lot in the way of apartments but a place to rent isn't super hard to find.

As with anywhere it is growing and has it's share of aches and pains. Crime isn't "bad", but it is more than it used to be even 10 years ago ( almost non-existant) .

The town, and neighboring Bosque Farms will never get sucked into the growth sprawl of abq, because of the Indian reservation between here and there.

Good luck in your move, and welcome to Sunny NM

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Just a suggestion.You can find a demographics site on the web of any state in the US.It will show all of the answers to your question.Hope this helps.

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

Once you get here and look around a little, it will be obvious which areas you'll want to avoid. After that, just about any place you choose will be pleasant. I live at the north end of Rio Rancho and there are a few AF families, along with Sandia and Los Alamos employees, living on my same block. It takes me about 35 minutes to get to the base when I go that direction. It's my sense that you'll probably be able to find a nice neighborhood where the house payments would be comparable to rent payments. We've been here ten years now and just continue to like more and more.

Just moved into my new house in a new neighborhood in north Rio Rancho. The friendliest place I have ever lived. Have several neighbors that commute to the base on a daily basis at all hours. At first they did not like it but now don't mind as the area is so quiet, friendly, and lacking of crime. Best of luck with your decision.

My parents live in Rio Rancho and I did for a long time, I dont like it anymore, traffic is awful, I was just there yesterday. If you want more rural, which I do, Im looking to buy another house in the east mountain area I would look at Tijeras, Cedar Crest, Sandia Park, Edgewood, Los Lunas. All within reasonable commute to the base, its where I work as well. Im in the ANG, what is your AFSC? Good luck on your move. You will like it here once you get used to it.

Ryan

Edgewood- Escape the crime, pollution,heat and taxes. Not to mention people wave with all five fingers out here. We have equestrian trails, hiking trails, Wildlife and trees. You would not find apartments out here. It would be residential rentals.

I lived in RR for 8 years. It was great back in the 90s. Its way to big now imo. Edgewood is 20 miles from Eubank exit.I get to work alot faster than if I lived in RR. I work on San Mateo and I 40. You may look at apartments on Tramway. You would have the city at your feet and hiking at your back.

A very close friend of mine has lived in the mountains south of Tijeras for about 20 years now or close to it and would not live anywhere else. He has wildlife in his place all the time but no longer hunts, just builds "hotrods" for a living.
His wife works in ALBQ and drives in daily so he has to keep the roads clear of snow during the snowy season up there.
NO CRIME OUT THERE at all.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-10 AT 07:06PM (MST)[p]Thanks for all the suggestions guys, sounds like a few good places to look at. I have until early 2011 before I actually have to be down there.

bticked- I'm an engine troop, work on the F-16's up at Hill. Not sure what I'm going to be working on down there but I'm going to the 58th and looking forward to working on a different airframe. What job are you in?

kilowatt- does your buddy have his own shop or work for someone? Before I went into the service I went to an automotive tech school for awhile to learn how to do that stuff. Never really materialized though. Think he'd be up for letting someone hang around to learn a few things?

If you have kids the top place for Wrestling in NM is Rio Rancho even tho they lost the head coach to Texas.
You can't go wrong with that school.IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Backpacker, I work in the fuel shop, on F-16s now but we are moving to an association deal with the 58th so we'll be working with you when you get here so keep in touch. They have 3 airframes. I think we'll be working on the C-130 and choppers they have, supposedly the Ospreys are leaving. Look forward to seeing you here, we'll have to do some hunting!
Gator, I wrestled at Rio Rancho. IMO, Steve Glassey was the best coach Ive ever known, the others I was friends with but none have held a candle to him. PM me your name or your kids names, I may have coached them back in the day.

backpacker asks:
kilowatt- does your buddy have his own shop or work for someone? Before I went into the service I went to an automotive tech school for awhile to learn how to do that stuff. Never really materialized though. Think he'd be up for letting someone hang around to learn a few things?

My friend works out of his shop on his property and he just builds what he likes the old style "hot rods" and then sells them. He might allow someone to come and watch but you might be asked to chop wood, dig a ditch or clear the roadway of snow in the winter...LOL

When you get settled just let me know and I will ask him and see what he says. He along with a lot of other locals in Albq belong to the Route 66 Over The Hill Gang car club...nice bunch of guys and have met a number of them at Drags in CA and Bonneville Salt Flats.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom