ABQ Processor

284NM

i like to process my own meat but have'nt been able to get enthusiastic about the sausage making thing. Any recomendations for a good sausage maker in the Albuquerque area?

Green Valley Meats on 4th street does a pretty good job. Summer Sausage and Jerky sticks from there are good

If your on the West side, Rio Rancho meats off Southern did my deer sausage this year and was/is amazing. Very reasonable too. Congrats on your harvest.

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-11 AT 07:21AM (MST)[p]Try to get motivated 284, it's not that hard LOL. I've made about 30 pounds so far out of the elk I got this year. I usually grind and mix in the seasonings one day and put it in the fridge, stuff the casings and smoke the next. Keller's has hog casings for $6 a package, compared to 12 for the same amount at sportsmans.

A great place to get seasonings is Columbia Spice Imports in CT.

http://columbiaspice.com/

The #10 Breakfast Blend is pretty awesome with the whole red pepper seeds in it. I usually get a boston butt pork roast and mix it 60% pork to 40% elk. If the pork is a little lean, I'll bump it to 70%. Their smoked sausage blend is awesome when you grind in some roasted green chili. The last batch I made was cajun andouille and it's absolutely over the top! Great prices on their bulk spices by the pound, too.

The biggest pain is stuffing the casings with a grinder. I fixed that by buying an old cast iron Enterprise sausage stuffer on ebay. It needs a good cleaning, but I plan to put it to work this coming week. They were bought out in the early 50s by Chop Rite, so who knows how old the darn thing is. Built like a tank and my kid's grandkids will be using it. With shipping, it ran me about 120 bucks, compared to a new model at sportsmans with aluminum or plastic gears for 150. Depending on how quick you're getting sausage made, I'd be more than happy to give you a hand, or anyone else in the Albuquerque area for that matter. I FINALLY got a job offer and will be going back to work late next week or on the 19th at the latest. Other than that, my schedule is pretty free.

Phil

5987002.jpg

Busted being lazy. I didn't want to admit to making 35 lbs of hamburger with a borrowed meat grinder, actually turned out to be the fastest easiest part. The next logical step would be to mix a bunch of crap in there and hope I don't poison myself:) Last weekend's elk is already wrapped and or marinating but as luck would have it I had an emergency hunting trip come up for the end of the month so hopefully there will be more hours of standing over the counter with a stiff back in a couple weeks. Maybe you'd be willing to do a phone consultation at some point?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom