Access - Battle Mountain Checkerboard

POk3s

Hi guys, swallowing my pride here a bit and asking an access question for the checkerboarded land south of battle mountain. I’m one of those dreaded non residents that drew a “15” Muley tag for the early October season and I first think to just avoid the area, but then think well I better scout it if I can. I burned 10 points on the hunt as my last choice but figured I better just keep the tag and go hunt! Nevada isn’t getting any easier to draw!

From what I can find online about this checkerboard stuff “some mines have closed access and some haven’t.” Is this very much a scout and see what the access looks like? I’d hate to walk in somewhere and be on some mine property that doesn’t allow access.

Thanks for any help you guys may have to decide this prior to my arrival, and if anyone has any pics of dead bucks, I wouldn’t turn them down. PMs work great. Thank you!

-Trent

Research the Nevada trespassing laws. It has been awhile but last I checked in Nevada it has to be posted or you can hunt it if it is uncultivated. Its not like Wyoming where a square of unmarked, unfenced private land in the middle of the desert cant be hunted without permission.

From the Nevada regulations:

Trespass Definition

It is considered trespassing if a person willfully goes on or remains on any land after having been warned by the owner or occupant not to trespass. This “warning” can include the following:

• Painting with fluorescent orange paint on the following:
    • A structure or natural object or the top 12 inches of a post, at intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at it is within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such structure, natural object or post.
    • Each side of all gates, cattle guards, and openings that are designed to allow human ingress to the area;
  • Fencing the area;
  • Posting “no trespassing” signs or other notice of like meaning at intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at least one such sign would be within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such sign, and each corner of the land.
  • Using the area as cultivated land. “Cultivated land” means land that has been cleared of its natural vegetation and is presently planted with a crop.

Thanks Marburg!

Yes that should’ve been priority number 1! Assumption is a killer I suppose. I saw similar checkerboard to where I live and the questions started popping up. This will be mich easier to scout out.

Lots of accessible checkerboard private across Nevada. Be respectful of areas that are marked, fenced, or cultivated and go have fun.---SS

Also, congrats on your hunt. 15 is a cool unit with some big-buck hidey holes for sure. Good luck and enjoy!

Keep in mind that barbed wire fencing is NOT considered "fencing". If a private land is not posted/marked properly and is surrounded by barbed wire cattle fencing only, it is LEGAL by law to enter it.

NRS 207.200  Unlawful trespass upon land; warning against trespassing.

1.  Unless a greater penalty is provided pursuant to NRS 200.603, any person who, under circumstances not amounting to a burglary:

(a) Goes upon the land or into any building of another with intent to vex or annoy the owner or occupant thereof, or to commit any unlawful act; or

(b) Willfully goes or remains upon any land or in any building after having been warned by the owner or occupant thereof not to trespass,

Ê is guilty of a misdemeanor. The meaning of this subsection is not limited by subsections 2 and 4.

2.  A sufficient warning against trespassing, within the meaning of this section, is given by any of the following methods:

(a) Painting with fluorescent orange paint:

(1) Not less than 50 square inches of a structure or natural object or the top 12 inches of a post, whether made of wood, metal or other material, at:

(I) Intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at least one such structure, natural object or post would be within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such structure, natural object or post, but at intervals of not more than 1,000 feet; and

(II) Each corner of the land, upon or near the boundary; and

(2) Each side of all gates, cattle guards and openings that are designed to allow human ingress to the area;

(b) Fencing the area;

(c) Posting “no trespassing” signs or other notice of like meaning at:

(1) Intervals of such a distance as is necessary to ensure that at least one such sign would be within the direct line of sight of a person standing next to another such sign, but at intervals of not more than 500 feet; and

(2) Each corner of the land, upon or near the boundary;

(d) Using the area as cultivated land; or

(e) By the owner or occupant of the land or building making an oral or written demand to any guest to vacate the land or building.

3.  It is prima facie evidence of trespass for any person to be found on private or public property which is posted or fenced as provided in subsection 2 without lawful business with the owner or occupant of the property.

4.  An entryman on land under the laws of the United States is an owner within the meaning of this section.

5.  As used in this section:

(a) “Cultivated land” means land that has been cleared of its natural vegetation and is presently planted with a crop.

(b) “Fence” means a barrier sufficient to indicate an intent to restrict the area to human ingress, including, but not limited to, a wall, hedge or chain link or wire mesh fence. The term does not include a barrier made of barbed wire.

(c) “Guest” means any person entertained or to whom hospitality is extended, including, but not limited to, any person who stays overnight. The term does not include a tenant as defined in NRS 118A.170.

Sparks, I’m always respectful. But don’t want to discount an area for no reason. I’m glad I made this post. Really helps the learning curve.

Thanks Doz!! That spells it out well!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom