Accura, 777 vs BH209, Barnes bullets, Help.....

T

tshuntin

I am turning to the experience on MM for some guidance and direction. I am do the S UT muzz deer hunt this year. 1st time i have done the muzz in several years. I have a Knight MK85 in a 54 call, but have had an itch to get a new gun of some sort and saw the deal on Midway for the CVA Accura and I pulled the trigger and it will be delivered tomorrow. In my current ML, I always used 110 grains of 777 and the Barnes Expander EZ bullets. I loved this combo and had great success. I harvest I believe 4 deer and only one took more than one step after impact. It performed very well.

So bring me to the present, I have a few questions.... What is the scoop with 777 vs BH209 powders. What is the advantage of each? Do any of you use the BH209 in an Accura? I read that it does not perform in some ML's.

Do any of you use Barnes bullets in your ML? How about any of you with the Accura? Which bullet are you using? Part of wanting to get a new Muzz is I have wanted to try and use the newer Barnes tipped ML bullets. Any of you have experience with them?

Thanks for your help, I sure appreciate any comments that you are willing to share.

Travis

I have the accura V2 and new optima shot both of them last week and used T7 fffg and BH209 and I can not say that BH209 is more accurate than T7 or really is cleaner. i swab between shots regardless of which powder I was using. i do know that i did not have a crud ring problem with the T7 like I had in other guns. could of have been the barrels I assume.

as for the barnes bullets I did use both the MZ and TMZ both shot very well. I might just use the MZ this year for the first time. but I want to use the hornady's FPB"s also. plan on shooting the FPB's this weekend to see what gives.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-10 AT 04:39PM (MST)[p]

I now shoot BH 209 in all my guns that will shoot it. And I DON'T swab between shots. That is one of the main advantages with BH 209. If I still had to swab every 1-2 shots, I am not sure I would think it was worth it. Not really any more accurate, just more convenient. I have shot as many as 30 times without swabbing once and without a loss in accuracy with BH 209. I have also shot 20 times, left the gun uncleaned for up to a week, then shot another 20 times without cleaning or swabbing.

However, you do have more of a crud buildup in the primer pocket of the breechplug with BH 209. You have to find a drill bit that just fits inside the primer pocket (1/8" for my Omega) and use it to remove the carbon buildup. You will be surprised how much build up there is. I try and clean after every 20 shots or so. I don't use a drill, just grab the drillbit with a pair of pliers, place the end of the bit in the primer pocket, and turn the breechplug until the buildup is removed. You will be surprised how far the bit will go up in there, close to an inch.

That said, if you are confident in your current load, there is really no reason to change, especially late in the game. I like to do my experimentation in the spring, and by this time have my load settled on so I can just go shoot.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

One more thing about BH 209: easier cleanup. I always felt I had to remove the barrel to clean with 777 or pyrodex. With BH I leave the barrel on the stock and run a soaked patch over a bristle brush through twice, then a dry patch, followed by a soaked patch with a jag, followed by a dry patch, and I am done. If I am going to shoot again pretty soon, that is all I do because Hoppes #9 has some rust preventative in it. But if I am going to put it up for awhile, I use oil soaked patches before I stow it.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shoot an Encore, so I cannot help you on the rifle part, but I have shot both powders and Barnes bullets. I was a 777 user for several years, I switched to BH209 2 years ago. I like the BH209 the best. It is consistent and clean, less crud build up. I also started shooting the Barnes TMZ spitfire 250 grain bullet about that same time. It has been a very consistent bullet for me using 100 gr of BH209.
Not exactly related to your question, but something very important to working up the right load for any rifle is to be consistent with your loading technique. Swab the same way, the same # of patches, etc, between shots. Try to seat bullet the same, (I use a spinjag on the range when sighting in and it does make an improvement in my groups!). Use the same rest, same everything as much as you can. Good luck.

Thank you all again so much. I will give a report as soon as I can get out and shoot. THANKS!!

I still run the standard pyrodex pellets in my gun. Reason is its accurate and flat with a full power (150 grain load)and barnes sabot (both the original expander mz and the new T-EZ). Yes the gun gets dirty and I can only shoot 5 shots max before running patches but who needs 5 shots?

I am getting more velocity than capable with a max charge of 209 or 777 so the dirty gun is worth it for me.

My gun is sighted 3 inches high at 100 and is only 4 inches low at 200 yds.

You should search for an accurate max charge load-try several sabots till you find one.

Don't overlook the standard pyrodex pellets-I have seen quite a few inlines shoot great with a max charge and Barnes,TC,Hornady sabots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom