Advantage of 100 grain broadheads?

fin little

Looking at the whats your setup thread, everybody is using 100 grain broadheads. I've been shooting stinger 125's. I shoot 29 inch 5575 Goldtips out of a 60 pound bow. I will be hunting elk and not shooting over 50 yards. Should I drop down to 100's? What is the advantage of a lighter head. Getting ready to order a dozen of something. Would like some help on an informed decision. Thanks

The advantage lies in the speed -- lighter = more speed. HOWEVER, the argument against it is... you guessed it -- it's lighter meaning less kinetic energy at the impact zone. You may want to expirement with the 100 grain to see how it patterns. There are numerous charts as well that will help you in making a decision as to what to shoot.

It truly is a matter of preference. I shoot a 5575 28" arrow with a 100 grain broadhead out of a 70 pound bow and I have never had a problem. I prefer the tighter pattern you get with a lighter arrow without sacrificing too much energy at the point of impact. I know of other very qualified archers who prefer a heavier arrow and swear by them. I prefer a "middle of the road" weight.

I use a 5575 goldtip 100 grain head 27" draw length and zipped an elk at 50 yard the elk went 40 yards and dropped. A complete pass through.

For my setup it gives me a better balanced arrow when I shoot 125's I become a little top heavy. It also can provide more kinetic energy. An arrow too heavy and slow can be just as bad as an arrow too light and fast. Goldtip's website has a place you can figure your kinetic energy.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-05 AT 02:47PM (MST)[p]fin little,
I have about the same set up as you except for my broadheads. I have 29 inch 5575 Gold Tips 65 lbs and 100 grain 3 blade Muzzys. If you're getting good arrow flight and hitting the target consistently then I wouldn't change a thing. If you're still considering changing then I would definately invest a couple of dollars for some 100 grain practice tips and shoot them before investing in the broadheads. Changing tip weight can really effect your arrow flight.

Thanks all. I ordered some 100 grain stingers and wac'ems. Still got time to experiment. 30 , spot any big bulls yet.Your hunts coming fast!

I bought some wack ems this year, boy they shoot like bullets!

Right on top of my field points at 40 yards! I'm really happy with them.

Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-05 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]fin,
Haven't had the opportunity to scout it much yet because I'm in the middle of building a house. Picked a great year to build a house. I will be going in the next 2 weeks though to look around. I know the bulls will probably be in the process of rubbing but if I can locate some cows and get my bearings straight that will probably help alot. I'm not sure if I can even judge what a big elk is. LOL I've been told to look for huge whale tails and if I can fit the width of 3 elk bodies between it's horns then I better let the arrow fly. LOL How about you have you seen any biguns yet? Deer or Elk? You've got some great tags. Good luck to you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom