Advice Needed: Hunting Thick Stuff

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
All,
Had a great time this fall hunting with a few tags filled, but I can't help but starting to think about how to get better at putting animals on the ground in the west.

I grew up in Missouri (tree stand hunting) and spring turkey calling. Moved to AZ after college and been trying to learn these last 13 years how to glass and HUNT...as opposed to just waiting in a tree stand. Glassing, spot stalk, water sitting, etc....but...

???HOW DO YOU HUNT THICK STUFF??? The endless pinyon/juniper areas, scrub oak hillsides, and even timber where glassing isn't an option.

Whether deer or elk, what do you do? Just wander through and hope? Look for sign/water/etc. and sit?

Just trying to make the most out of every trip I can, and I feel like I'm screwed if I can't glass, call, or sit water.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Morning I walk the woods and bugle or cow call then head for the answers I get. In the evening I usually sit water.

Thanks gleninaz. Do you do anything midday? We typically go back to camp to regroup/eat/etc. and then head back out. But every part of me wants to be out doing something more productive.

I (still hunt)thru the thick stuff. In other words I move slowly, look for sign, glass thru the trees & brush looking for movement. I stay out from dark to dark, you can't kill an animal sitting in camp!!

Thanks goinhuntn. I'm of the same thought process for staying out all day. I want to make sure i'm hunting smart, and not just hard.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom