Advice on 10x vs 12x

WillPower

You guys sold me on the Vortex and hope to get a pair before next year, but have a question. Normally I use 8x close cover hunting areas and 10x for the longer distances when in NM or MT, etc. My question is. anyone use 12X nocs? Saw the 12 x 42 Vortex Vipers and was thinking the 12X might be nice for the longer glassing areas. Any opinions on 10x vs 12x? Is 12X magnification getting to the point where a tripod is needed?

I will be using this glass for the typical NM, AZ, MT glassing on deer and elk hunts?

Thanks for your help.

WillPower

I would skip the 12x and jump to 15x for longer distance, if you already have the 8x & 10x. Consider using a tripod for distance glassing, if you do not already do so.

I'll second redrabbit's info. Once you get above 10X, it gets difficult to hold yur binos steady enough by hand to be useful. If you already have some 8X or 10X binos, jump up to a 15X, mount them on a tripod, and you're glassing comfortably all day long. Scott

I agree with the two post above except for I would opt for a spotting scope instead of the 15x's. You already have 8x's and 10x's and you could always put the 10's on a tripod and increase your spotting ability as compared to hand holding them. I have 15's and it is true that they are sweet when you put them on a tripod but I do not feel that they are a great deal better than the 10's. I feel that it is better to be able to spot your game and then evaluate it with the spotter. I love my 15's but if I had to choose two pieces of optical equipment to keep with me at all times then I would choose 10 power binos and a spotter. If you are hunting out of a truck or an ATV then by all means, get all the optics you can afford. But I back pack hunt and the 15's spend a lot of time at home. I personally would not even consider 12 power. fatrooster.

I had a pair of 12X binocs for a long time then bought some 10X and can honestly say I have seen more animals with the 10's than the 12's. To me looking through 12's is to restrictive, almost like tunnel vision.

It's Bush's fault!!!

Thanks for the feedback, it was very helpful. I usually back pack in, so the 10's and a good spotting scope might be a good way to go. Will check out some 15's as well.

Thanks again for the help!

WP

If you are packing in and want to save weight, consider the Leica 10+15 Duovids over two pair of binos.

RR

I am in the same delemma. I have a crappy pair of binocs and I am wanting to upgrade to the 10x or 12x Vortex. I have a 7x at home and that is all. Does everyone still recommend the 10x over the 12x.

For just one pair, the 10x would have more utility than the 12x in terms of field of view in closer cover, and apparent steadiness when hand-held, and a little lighter around the neck.

I agree. I think I am going to go with the 10x. Actually, according to the specs, the 12x is lighter than the 10x

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom