advice on .243

map1

A recently purchased a .243 for my 15 year old son to use on our antelope hunt, figuring he could use it for whitetails and mulies in the future. Well, he ended up using my 30-06 to kill his antelope (long story). Another buddy is telling me he quit using his .243 on deer, no pass thru, little blood trail etc...
Looking for others opinions on it.

The 243 will kill deer, but I consider it more of an experts gun. The bullet must be placed perfectly to do the job. Of course shot placement is important in any caliber, but even more so with smaller bullets. If you use premium bullets (Barnes, Nosler) you will get pass through on all but the biggest deer, considering broadside shots. You won't get sufficient penetration on texas heart shots, or hard quartering angles.

Apparently your son has demonstrated his ability to use a 30.06. Overall, it is a better choice for anyone who can handle it well.
Bill

I started out hunting with a .243 (12 years old), I used it until I was 16 then hunted on and off with it till I was 21 and one antelope hunt years later.
I killed a whitetail every year I hunted with it except one, remember I am now 34 but thinking back I only remember 2 pass throughs on deer... one was through the back bone and on was low in the chest behind the front leg (no major bones hit).
We always found my deer in a short distance from where I shot them, longest tracking was maybe 50 yards??? Most of the time there was little to no blood trail though. One exception was the pass through behind the front leg (hit the heart) blood was spouting out both sides 5' off to the sides.

Also back then, we weren't rich so my Dad likely bought the cheapest ammo available. It killed them quickly, is accurate and easy to shoot for a youngster but you won't get the huge blood trails that come from the higher powered rifles.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

+1

with .243 on deer you need to use heavy for caliber bullets of good construction. It is fine on small whitetails with 100 gr bullets but with larger game bullet construction/weight/placement become of higher importance.

I am going to get another .243, my wife sold hers and doesn't hunt anymore. Our experience with it on game was antelope usually drop in their tracks and all the mule deer I shot with it were down.

I would also recommend using a bullet that will hold together, keep the range honest and learn to shoot well.

It is a great caliber. Don't use Barnes bullets and you will be fine. Great for deer, antelope, etc. I know a lot of people who use it for elk. Plenty of power for deer.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

I too grew up with a .243 Win in my hands. The little rifle felled a ton of deer. While I would never conside it an elk rifle, I would consider it a very adequate deer/antelope rifle.

Early on I started reloading and soon found the Nosler partitions to be a great match for the little gun. Deer were always dead and pass throughs were very common. I used the old lathe turned 95 grain Nosler partition in the spitzer form but also used the 85 and 100 grain bullets.

Shot placement is still king!

Zeke

mntman is the envious type. He must drive a subaru! Poor young ladd.

Killed a lot of mule deer with a .243 and 100 grain core lokts.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

The .243 is plenty of gun. I have killed many deer with a .223, and never wounded one that got away. The most important thing should always be shot placement and discipline. Just use good slugs. I want to get one for my kids to use for their first couple years of hunting.

Nice one Zeke, I guess what goes around, comes around and it hit me square in the face :)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

hmmm, i know some people use it for that long range crap,,,, you know those guys on tv that shoot animals at 1200 yards but seem cant to get any closer range

It is all about where they are hit. We can argue for days but I have a very good friend that used a 243 for years and years and has a very nice collection of mule deer from it.

>hmmm, i know some people use
>it for that long range
>crap,,,, you know those guys
>on tv that shoot animals
>at 1200 yards but seem
>cant to get any closer
>range

LOL so true!
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-12 AT 03:40PM (MST)[p]My advise was going to be that I DO recommend Barnes bullets...I don't understand Roy's opposition to that.

My dad has shot a ton of antelope with remington 100 grain cor-lokts...No pass throughs. He states that bullets were usually found under the offside hide.

I figured this out about the same time I realized that Deer and Antelope are not the same size. Antelope are varmints and anything will work. Big deer need a better penetrating bullet like a barnes. I got my dad shooting 80 grain barnes and his last antelope was his first complete pass through.

I think with a 100 grain barnes, its plenty tough for mule deer...problem is I think they only make an 80 or 85 grainer, which will still outpenetrate a lead/copper 100 grainer, 100 percent of the time.

243 is plenty, but my kids will start with a 270. (don't have any yet...just talking theory here):)...oh and they won't be hunting big game at age 8...needs to be more like 12.

Danny

dont listen to roy, he cant even get over a fence,,243 is fine for deer, to light for elk for me,,,

GREAT Caliber.
I agree with everything Zeke said. 95-100 grain bullets.
I have used the Nosler Partition on many deer and Antelope.
It will flat knock them down. I have had multiple pass through shots.
Just for kicks I shot a cow elk with a 243 last year. No problem.

Fine Caliber for the Intended Use!

It'd be really UN-ETHICAL to pull off a 538 Yard Shot on a Mule Deer!:D

Sure the Hell ain't big enough for Elk!

Power Points of Course!:D

Hello Mr. Wisz,This is the UDWR Calling....LMMFAO!
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

My Dad and i both took a lot of Bucks with his .243 before i was able to earn enough money to buy my own scoped rifle. I didn't much care for the way that a lot of the mortally wounded deer would run off, almost as if not hit, only to shortly die some distance away.

My advice; Sell that 243 and buy a 25-06! There is not a whole lot of difference in the recoil but the 25-06 flat plumps them up nicely when you shoot them and they generally fall within their own shadow! IMO, the 25-06 is what a 243 always wanted to be...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitation are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

My daughter started with a 243. One bear and 3 whitetails with four shots and none went over 30-40 yards. Good old Remington ammo.

I just took one to Wyoming for antelope with Barnes 85 gr. One buck at150 yards head-on. He never took a step and the bullet came out the the other end. Buck #2 was 296 yards and broadside....he never took a step but I confess I was a tad high

Great caliber. Like many I wish Barnes made a bigger bullet for it but then again the 85s did everything so maybe they know best

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-12 AT 09:01PM (MST)[p]
never hunted with the 243,but my 6MM topped with 90 grain accubonds is antelope's worst nightmare.super fun hunt with my daughter.she says kill that one dad,i ask why that little feller,she say's cuzz he will taste good....ok boom..

packed it this year deer hunting just did'nt make it happen.:(

he wind in your face and the sun at your back"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-12 AT 11:47PM (MST)[p]Ya know, funny that you guys should mention the 6mm. I already mentioned my early but consistent findings with the .243 but in fairness, the results that i spoke of were back in 1964- thru about 1974 or so with dad still getting his two bucks a year without fail. At the time, i think he was using Winchester 100 gr ammo but he didn't pay much attention to that and it always cracked him up to see the panic on my face as the mortally hit deer ran off. I'm color blind, bad, and have a hard time trailing blood. Few, if any, ever got away but like i said, i'd moved up a notch to the 25-06 and it flat stamped them where they stood.

So some years later, a friend offered me a killer deal too tough to pass on his Leupold scoped Browning B-78 single shot. 28" octagon barrel and a exceptionally fine rifle both in shooting and to look at. It was though in 6mm! There is not a whole heck of a lot of difference between the .243 and the 6mm, about a 100 feet per second maybe and my longer barrel could/should have added a bit more to that. But in the 5-6 years that i carried it, that 6mm seemed to put them Blacktails down better/faster than Dad's, now my, model 70 .243 did back when i was younger.

I don't know, again, maybe it was the ammo or bullet selection. That in itself can make a big difference in how a deer reacts when it's hit in a good spot.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

.243 works great on deer. It doesnt leave a big blood trail. However it does seem to drop deer very quickly. I spend more time tracking blood after shooting deer with my 30.06. My .243 usually drops deet within feet of were they were standing.

Go way back with the 243. I was into hand loading and high velocity. The lighter slugs had the velocity but wouldn't hold together. Went to Nolser partitions and they held together.
Currently using the Barnes 80 gr. TTSX.

I have to agree with Joey on this sell the 243 and get the 25-06, IMO you will both be much happier that.

I have a Pre 64 model 70 winchester Featherweight in 243 that I would not trade for anything. It is a great caliber but does have it's limitations. If you use a quality bullet and use good shot placement it will kill with the best of the calibers out there. As I heard before a man has to know his limitations.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-04-12 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]
Feed it a good bullet and watch deer die..simple as that

Roy, flip a pic of the game you have killed with barnes, i assume you have some given your stance on them..

Here is a few in the corner of the reloading cave that somehow fell to the crappy barnes. (only one from a 243 tho)

20121104_222848.jpg

I shot barnes once on the advice of a maroon cur and all I have to show for it is this lousy moose.

7496barnes.jpg

6477moose.jpg

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Here We Go!

Ain't them BARNES Bullets KALI Bullets?

Southern TARDville approved for the Kali-Kondors?

And I Quote:

I wounded the Big Buck Bill,Don't worry Paul, you're shootin Barnes Bullets,at least He won't die of Lead Poisoning!

The GREENIES Love these Bullets!

A Little Touchy there REDDOG?

I'll keep shootin the Ammo I always Shoot!

I know,it's Slower & Un-Ethical.................!

Hello Mr. Wisz,This is the UDWR Calling....LMMFAO!
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom