Advice on Mr.Heater

T

Timbolero

I'm looking at the Mr.Heater portable buddy heater for use in a tent this fall/winter.Its supposed to have a low oxygen shutoff for use indoors.Has anyone here got any experience with this unit? Thanks

I have used a MR. Heater a couple of times. It works good. I hunted mule deer in november and it was in the teens at night. I was in a three person tent be myself and with the heater on high it was almost to hot in there. Even with the shutoff I would always turn it off before i went to bed. If it got cold in the middle of the night I would stick a hand out and turn it on for a little while. It's nice in the morning to reach out and turn it on and then stay on the sleeping bag for ten minutes then get out to a warm tent.

Make sure the heater is on a hard surface. The front burner part gets hot and if it falls over you might have a fire or a hole in your tent.

Overall it's a real good heater and keeps small to medium tents warm. Someone else might be more helpfull with keeping it on all night. I always turn it off before sleeping.

Craig,Sounds like a pretty good little unit.I have a habit of getting warm and cozy then falling asleep and leaving things on,pretty dangerous.So I liked the low oxygen shutoff but dont want to be the "OOPS,that didnt work!"guy for the heater company.Thanks for the input.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-04 AT 08:47AM (MST)[p]If you want a tent heater that is made to heat tents and as safe as safe gets. Go to http://www.Zodi.com They also offer a hotwater propane shower that works great. I have been using their products a few years now and they can't be beat. I own about 20 mr. heaters that I use in my green houses and I have the holes in the green house fabric to prove it. I would not consider putting them in my tent.

~Jeff~

Jeff,I had seen the Zodi hot water shower,but didnt know they made a tent heater.I will check them out,Thanks

Hey these Zodi products look pretty interesting. Is this unit safe to use all night? Do I just hook up the clips to my truck battery, or do I need to take a separate utility battery? Showers look like something I could use as well. Anyone have any more experience with these products? I have a small 2 person tent. Thx.

Zim from NW Indiana

RE: Power my heat/shower

The heaters can run all night if you want, the burner sets outside and the heat is fan forced in the tent. You can power them off of what ever power source you want. The shower is the best,I use the 4 "D" cell power pak for the pump and I get alot of showers out of it. I use their smallest propan unit on my kayak trips. It's lite weight and compact. They are great, I don't have to skip shower anymore just because I am remote.

Jeff

I have the Zodi Hot Tap shower that uses two cannisters. You just fill the container at the creek, start the pump and fire up the heater with a self striker. I use it with the Cabelas "Shower Shelter" almost every day. On long hunts in a wall tent camp having a shower every day makes a big difference in comfort, but thats probably just because I'm getting older. Having some of the comforts of home makes a hunt even more enjoyable.

Looks like the Zodi heater is a pretty safe unit for use in a tent.Carbon monoxide poisoning has taken out alot of hunters and ice fisherman thru the years and I'd just as soon not be one of em! Thanks to everyone for their responses!

I use a Mr. Heater in my pop-up camper and the one problem I have with it is that it doesn't work well at high altitudes (9000+ ft.) Not enough O2 to keep it lit sometimes. I'll run it all night if possible. It's quit on me several times and I've had no problems with it shutting off properly. I may look into a Lodi unit eventually.

I got one 2 years ago. Thr first year no problems. This year it wouldnt stay on for over 2 mins?

Renegade,Thats a bummer,$80 for a years service is not too good.I like the looks of the Zodi unit,but they should offer it in a model already set up for the bigger propane tank,those little bottles wouldnt last all nite and another $89 for a conversion seems like they're gaffin a guy some.But its so simple its bound to be reliable.

I bet you could build that adapter for half that price at a local propane or hardware store. just a thought

~Jeff~

On my Mr. Heater I have a 12 foot hose. I keep the big bottle of propane outside my tent and a 20 lb propane tank will last! I now use a wall tent with an outfitter stove. Now thats keeps us warm! Since I bought my Mr Heater at Cabela's, I should have no issues of returning it?

Renegade,Cabelas has never refused to refund or exchange an item for me.I used to know a guy who worked at the Sidney store and he told me the rich guys will buy a complete outfit for a big game hunt,socks to tents and everything in between,then return it ALL after the hunt!I once bought a pair of used chest waders from Cabelas that had a 10 year old Missouri fishing license in the chest pocket,they were not damaged in any way,kinda faded tho,I guess the guy just wanted a new pair.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom