Advice on pulling a 5th wheel and a boat or atv trailer

tkhunt

Any advice or experience on pulling two trailers? I've heard alot of hearsay but what have people experienced? Buy a sway bar or not? I have a duramax, 25 ft 5th wheel, and an 18 ft boat. I'm under the length limit in Montana but how hard or easy is it?

Its not bad, just don't get in a hurry, I use a sway bar and I think its helps. Be careful not to go places that you have to back up very much.

Keep it around 65. I had a 38 foot jayco with a 12 foot atv trailer behind. I was doing 75 and just about lost the load. The problem was not enough tougnue weight on the atv trailer.

Got whippin so bad I almost #####. Pulled over and moved the bike to the front. after that all was well a 55.

After that I was not a fan of the triple pull, but if I had to I would keep it slow.

Absolutely buy a sway bar!! When I bought my bumper pull toy hauler, the dealer tried to tell me I didn't need one. What a joke, they are necessary IMO.

No need to go too fast, I agree with the previous poster....

With a Dodge Ram Diesel I pull a 28.5 foot fifth wheel with an 18.5 foot boat behind it. No sway bar and it works great. It will easily pull the rig 80mph, but burns a ton of fuel if I go over 65mph. even at 65 mph it only gets 9 mpg. It also requires alot more distance to stop even with electric brakes on the fifth wheel and surge brakes on the boat.

The single most efficient and effective way to do it safely is drive at a prudent speed.

498a6f395e505405.jpg

A SWAY BAR FOR A 5TH WHEEL???

I PULL AN OVER LENGTH LOAD ONCE IN A WHILE!!!

JUST HOOK IT ALL UP & NEVER LOOK BACK!!!

AND FOR GAWDS SAKE DON'T DRIVE DOWN NO DEAD END ROADS!!!

THERE ARE BIG TRUCKS WITH DOUBLES THAT ARE DESIGNED TO BACK UP!!!

THESE RANDOMLY PUT TOGETHER RECREATION DOUBLES DON'T BACK UP WORTH A DAMN!!!

GOT PULLED OVER FOR DOING 90 MPH ONCE WITH A SETUP THAT WAS 71 FEET LONG & LETS JUST SAY I ALMOST MET RUGBURN AT WORK!!!

SOMTIMES TO GET IN ON A PISSCUTTER IT TAKES SOME STEALTH!!!
I THANK MY FRIEND Feleno FOR THE STEALTH CAMO!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

1911???

CAN YOU GIVE ME THE DEFINITION OF "A PRUDENT SPEED"???

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

never pulled doubles..but have pulled a 36' 5th wheel alot. Dont forget to look back on the corners, swing wide, i dont know how many times i thought i was out far enough and looked back just in time to see me just about taking the end of the trailer off or wipeing out the fuel pump at the station. If you are going to pull a double i would recommend a sway bar on the trailing rig. i can pull my 36'er with my duramax as fast as i want, but past 80mph it starts to disagree with the meaning of "keepin it safe"

Don't speed in Wayne County, It's a costly deal.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

HEY Gator!!!

I CARRY A FRESH BAKERS DOZEN JUST IN CASE!!!

4a25cb9a7105a720.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-09 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]I love pulling doubles. It works better to have both trailers with tandem axles. Make sure the second trailer is loaded a little tongue heavy. Get big mirrors. It's nice to see the caboose wagging like a tail.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-09 AT 09:59PM (MST)[p]Stay off the snow / ice. Even a normal long upgrade will cause you problems as your backend heavy. Let the road dry off a bit and save the trouble.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom