Affordable Telephoto Lens for the D80

HuntElk4Fun_

Right now I have an 18-135 lens for my D80. It's great for a wide range of stuff for a guy who just wants one lens and is a pretty casual photographer. In taking more and more wildlife pics, I've decided to look into an affordable telephoto lens (if such a concept exists!).

What's is a good starter lens for a guy like me looking to spend $1000 or so? Is it even possible to get a quality lens at that price with wildlife being the primary reason for it?

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.

for the D80, you have a tone of options. I think the nikon 80-400 would be my choice if you need VR and auto focus, or buy a used nikkor 500mm f4 P lens and shoot manual.

Sigma is another option (this is not a recomendation, it's an option) Sigma APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM. It incorporates three SLD elements, HSM autofocus, and super multi-layer coating. It offers a minimum focus distance is 59.1 inches and a maximum magnification of 1:4.2. The lens is also equipped with a rear-focus system to further minimize optical flaws by reducing fluctuations caused by focusing.

The new ultra-telephoto zoom, the Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM, also includes three SLD elements, HSM autofocus, super multi-layer coating, and a rear-focus system. It offers a minimum focus distance of 86.6 inches and a maximum magnification of 1:5.2. The lens comes with a removable tripod socket.

Both of the telephoto zooms are available with Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Sony mounts, and are compatible with Sigma's 1.4x EX DG APO and 2x EX DG APO Tele Converters.

Both Tamron and Tokina make very good 300 2.8 lenses, the older Tamron AF 300 2.8 is a stellar lens, i wish i had never sold mine . . .

Hope this helps. . .

Tony

www.tonybynum.com

I should have added the nikon 300 2.8, you can get regular AF 300 2.8's now for a cheep! You then could buy a 1.7 teleconverter and have a heck of a nice system. . .

The 300 2.8 af's are selling today (used) for a fraction of the cost new, but the image quality they produce is stellar. . .

www.tonybynum.com

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom