Africa gun carry

bowhunt

Long Time Member
Just curious.
Why does everyone, when hunting in Africa carry their gun over their shoulder pointed at the guy in front of them? Is that just the cool thing to do, or does it serve a purpose?

Every time I see that it drives me nuts whether they're unloaded or not! At least I hope they are all unloaded!!!

Some of this is tradition. The hunting industry in Africa was largely founded on English and German (European, to be more inclusive) practices, with little influence from the US. A totally different safety culture, without many lawyers, etc.
There is a belief among many in Africa that slings are "dangerous", getting caught in the brush, etc. I don't happen to agree, but hey, it is their culture.
If you carry a large bore, heavy rifle (maybe even a double rifle) without a sling for long periods of time, you too will opt for the over the shoulder carry. And yes, in most cases today, the chamber isn't loaded until you are moving in for the shot and the gun is long off the shoulder.
Bill

I carry a weapon on shoulder while in Africa. Used to use a sling and yes it did get jerked off my shoulder. Luckily the scope just took a scratch on top and was not knocked off sight. While shoulder carrying I do not point the weapon at the person in front but instead keep the weapon side angled. If people approach that zone I tilt the barrel straight down. If you march 15 miles in a hot sun carrying a twelve pound weapon you will hold it like this.

As said above..it is tradition. I have never carried my rifle this way. Generally at my side. Also when in the brushy areas of Zim and northern S. Africa I take my sling off to avoid getting caught in the brush(lots of spines, as my bleeding body can attest)...LOL. If gun gets heavy especially when returning to truck, generally can find an extra tracker to carry...LOL.

There have been many times I wish I had a gun bearer in N.AM. We must be doing something wrong!!

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

2 wrongs don't make a right!

Never point guns at people, regardless, and get rid of the sling.
I've never seen this behavior in my PH. He's very safety conscious. Oh and his gun and mine are always loaded when out of the truck. That's for safety's sake too.
I have seen this crap on TV though. Makes me glad I'm not hunting with them.

Zeke

I've often wondered this myself. It is much less comfortable than even having the barrel over your shoulder, and I can't imagine walking around out there in the bush and not have a round in the chamber ready for danger at a moments notice...

I've always found there is an air of arrogance about carrying the rifle in that position, unloaded. As if to say to the bush, "I'm not scared of you." So, I get that it would be a European tradition... :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

what if a twig got near the trigger and a guy would pull the gun loose setting the trigger off and possibly blowing your dad/friend/guide or anyone heads off???????????????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom