Age data

Uttaxi1

Looks like the age data has been added to harvest surveys. I couldn't believe my pronghorn came back at 7 yrs old.

PXL_20230927_145335971~2.jpg

Did they get the age by pulling a tooth ? And does the state do this for all limited entry animals ?

You see the age results on your Harvest Survey. Log back into your account, click on Harvest Surveys, hit the appropriate survey and scroll down to the bottom of the survey.

It would be interesting to see age and antler growth for last year coming off the the hard winter. There seemed to be a lot of comments of smaller racks.

Im having no luck logging in to check the age of my buck from this year ,could someone put up a link!

Log in and then just scroll to harvest data, I think it is on the bottom of the page after you select the correct option.

Robb

I would take that tooth data with a grain of salt. It’s accurate on a population scale but not on an individual scale. He’s got a big ol head on him for sure though!

“It’s accurate on a population scale but not on an individual scale.”

Please explain that …

Please explain that …

Most are correct. However, there are some that are not. So when you throw 100 in pot, it’s a pretty good indication of what the overall age of the harvested animals are.

However, nobody knows if their individual animal is actually aged correctly. There will absolutely be some that are not.

Please explain that …
If you take a tooth out of 1000 animals and gather age data for it it’s going to be useful data (most of them will be correct but there will be outliers that are very much incorrect that will be covered up by the data). If you take a tooth out of one animal and it’s one of the incorrect outliers, your data is 100% useless. So more or less if you shoot an animal and tooth age it, there’s a chance it’s wrong. Doesn’t make the large volumes of data they gather from teeth wrong, but if you’re going off of it for your particular animal you can be off substantially with it unfortunately.

If you take a tooth out of 1000 animals and gather age data for it it’s going to be useful data (most of them will be correct but there will be outliers that are very much incorrect that will be covered up by the data). If you take a tooth out of one animal and it’s one of the incorrect outliers, your data is 100% useless. So more or less if you shoot an animal and tooth age it, there’s a chance it’s wrong. Doesn’t make the large volumes of data they gather from teeth wrong, but if you’re going off of it for your particular animal you can be off substantially with it unfortunately.
Okay, that makes perfect sense… I interpreted your first post as tooth data was just a complete guess…

I would take that tooth data with a grain of salt. It’s accurate on a population scale but not on an individual scale. He’s got a big ol head on him for sure though!
Wrong. Talking out your ass. 90% accuracy with the method the lab Utah uses to age.

Wrong. Talking out your ass. 90% accuracy with the method the lab Utah uses to age.

That is exactly the point of his post. What if your tooth is in the 10%? How do you know? That why on the population level it’s useful. Individually probably not so much.

But your post just illustrates what yote was saying. And he’s not wrong.

That is exactly the point of his post. What if your tooth is in the 10%? How do you know? That why on the population level it’s useful. Individually probably not so much.

But your post just illustrates what yote was saying. And he’s not wrong.
The likelihood it’s in the 10% is just that, 9 out of 10 it’s right. So we should take it “with a grain of salt”. Likely it’s right. I understand the population level. But no one looking up the age of their animal is comparing it to a population.

Good grief. People even pissing on the age results of peoples animals. FFS.

What a way to live life to be dismissive of something is is 90% right. Going to miss out on a lot of things in life worrying about that 10%. Take those grains of salt and pack it in your vagina.

Ha! SS, I’m sorry someone hurt you yesterday. I bet they didn’t mean it.

Giving a statistically correct explanation to how this works is not pissing on the age of anyone’s animal. It’s giving totally correct context to the situation. If realizing the tooth data may not be perfect for your animal ruins the experience for you then I suggest you take up knitting. There is probably less risk of offending a snowflake in that endeavor.

I happen to know that they aged my buck wrong. Trail cam pics of the buck as a mature buck exist for longer than they say the buck was alive. Oh well, it didn’t change my experience whatsoever. I have a curiosity still for how old he was, but I don’t lose sleep over it. It’s just not that big of deal. So for the unit wide picture that year the age data was probably pretty helpful to decision makers, but for me…not so much.

Ha! SS, I’m sorry someone hurt you yesterday. I bet they didn’t mean it.

Giving a statistically correct explanation to how this works is not pissing on the age of anyone’s animal. It’s giving totally correct context to the situation. If realizing the tooth data may not be perfect for your animal ruins the experience for you then I suggest you take up knitting. There is probably less risk of offending a snowflake in that endeavor.

I happen to know that they aged my buck wrong. Trail cam pics of the buck as a mature buck exist for longer than they say the buck was alive. Oh well, it didn’t change my experience whatsoever. I have a curiosity still for how old he was, but I don’t lose sleep over it. It’s just not that big of deal. So for the unit wide picture that year the age data was probably pretty helpful to decision makers, but for me…not so much.
How do you know there wasn’t twin bucks? Do you know 100%? You’re saying there couldn’t be two bucks that look almost exactly the same in the same area?

How do you know there wasn’t twin bucks? Do you know 100%? You’re saying there couldn’t be two bucks that look almost exactly the same in the same area?

I do know 100% and that is what I am saying. But it doesn’t matter and the inaccuracy of the tooth data didn’t piss on me or my experience. It’s just context when discussing age data, nothing more.

While some are a little sensitive it appears, they can build a bridge and get over themselves. The post you got offended over and cried about is accurate and just context to the discussion. Like it, or don’t. It won’t change whether yote was right or not.

I do know 100% and that is what I am saying. But it doesn’t matter and the inaccuracy of the tooth data didn’t piss on me or my experience. It’s just context when discussing age data, nothing more.

While some are a little sensitive it appears, they can build a bridge and get over themselves. The post you got offended over and cried about is accurate and just context to the discussion. Like it, or don’t. It won’t change whether yote was right or not.
How do you know it’s 100%?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom