AK Bear Hunt Gear Review

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
Well, my Dad and I just got back from the Kilbuck Mountains in Alaska for 2 weeks of black/brown bear hunting. It was an awesome trip, and we both filled our tags! Check out the Alaska forum for the writeup.
I had alot of recommendations from alot of people, regarding gear, so here is what worked, what didn't, and what I wished I had.

Conditions: Windy and rainy, high 30s-low 50s.
Environment: Tundra, alder patches, beaver creeks, and 2k ft mountains.
Activity: Glassing with tough/quick 2-3 mile stalks through all of the environment mentioned above.
Camp: Pole tents

WHAT WORKED:

Outdoor Research Gaitors - Worked great, dried quick, and saved my boots a number of times when crossing creeks. Velcro sucks; but just wear them all the time, and you'll be good.

Cabela's Alaskan Guide Rainwear - Has GoreTex PacLite, which was light and packable. I ripped the crotch a bit when fighting with alders; but it held up very well, dried very quickly, and kept me dry.

Cabela's Microtex - A great mid-layer that dries quickly and breathes well. I wore 2 sets for 13 days and they dried great, and didn't stink much.

REI MTS Base Layer - (Mid weight shirt and lightweight pants). These worked awesome. They dried quick, were warm when they needed to be and cool otherwise. The also didn't stink very bad after 2 weeks of no showering. Awesome stuff.

Patagonia Mid-weight Base Layer - Seemed a little thicker than the REI MTS mid-weight; but pretty awesome stuff. It dried quickly and kept the stink off.

Helly Hanson - The guides wore this stuff. It was heavy, didn't breathe; but was indestructable and dry. If I go back, I'd probably get some Impertech as a backup.

Havalon Knives - We utilized these for our skinning, and it almost made the job easy!

Bomb Shelter - We stayed in these for the entire hunt, from Barney's in Anchorage. They had tons of tiedowns for the high winds; but weren't really light or portable. Great for a base camp, never leaked and well made.

WHAT DIDN'T WORK:

Cabela's Dry Plus - My Dad had this raingear. It was a softshell, so after a couple a couple days it was soaked and not worth much. It dried fairly quickly; but when it's non-stop raining, nothing much dries.

Camp Dry/Kiwi Boot DWR spray: You need something stronger for up there. It's fine for a little dew or something; but dew+rain+creeks+sinkholes and my boot leather was saturated for days. I'd recommend snow-seal or something.

WHAT I WISHED I'D BROUGHT:

Propane Boot Dryer - The first day, my soaked pants seeped into my boots and they were soaked for a couple days. I think there is a small one out on the market, so if you aren't limited to space/weight it might be a good idea.

Scope Caps - I should have brought these for the non-stop rain and trudging through the thick stuff.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I had Meindl Perfekt Hikers. Since they are a hiker, they are only 8", so I could have used a couple more inches. The only reason I didn't get a 10" boot, is because I don't really have need for it here in AZ.
Overall the boot did pretty well. The only time my feet got wet was when I stepped too deep in a creek, and when my DryPlus pants got soaked through. When my pants soaked through it just seeped down my legs and soaked my boots. Other than that, the leather just got saturated and heavy after while. The GoreTex held though, so my feet were dry. I'd just use SnowSeal and not some light silicone spray.
As far as fit, I think they did pretty well; but I did have a bit of toe numbness after the trip. I never got a blister; but my big toes were numb for the last week of the trip. I read into it, and apparently it is due to overtight laces, hiking with a pack, and overuse...which can happen on a 2 week hunt.

Let me know if you have any other questions on gear.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom