AK Moose Boots Help

E

Edpre

September AK DIY Moose hunt coming up. Need suggestions on boots. Hip waders? (they'd just seem awfully sweaty and uncomfortable when hiking)? Just regular tall hunting boots & get a little wet? Or, something like Three Forks Stockingfoot Hip Waders (Cabelas) - with the stickingfoot it seems we can wear 'em in a pair of regular hunting boots when we need 'em and stick 'em in the daypack when we're trekking on the higher ground above the boggy stuff. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I went on a 20 day float hunt a few years ago. I went through the same thing you are now. I chose the Hodgeman Chest-High Breatheables and bought the Backcountry wading boots from Cabelas. You just never know when you need to cross a creek that's higher than your waist (I did several times). It also saves on needing rain pants. The only thing I would do different is to wear gaiters as I ended up tearing a few small holes in the lower leg area. It was easily patched, so I was only down a short time. With the chest-highs, you can roll the waders down to your waist if needed. Make sure you get the ones that are relatively form fitting as they are somewhat quieter and will not catch on branches nearly as much as the others. I wore those waders for the entire 20 day hunt and was very comfortable. Weight is at a premium, so forget the rubber hippers.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom