Alagnak River

F

forky

Im floating the Alagnak in early july, has anyone fished this river. My uncle guided in this area, but that was over 20 years ago so his tips may be a little outdated. He did remember there were lots of bears. Its a do it your self trip with 5 buddies. We have all flyfished alaska, some of the group several times, but this will be the first tent camping floating adventure. We usually stay in forest service cabins. Just wanted to know if anyone had tried this and had any advice,thanks.

Which lake are you putting into? Regardless, you will see bears, and there is quite a bit of traffic, floaters and jet boats. Other floaters will likely be looking at the same "camping" spots along the way. The timing is good. Send a message to Roger [email protected] and tell him I sent you. He has probably floated this river 25 times.

Mike McCrary
Alaska Bush Sports
http://www.alaskabushsports.com

I fished the Alagnak River two years ago in early July. Sounds like you are going to fish upstream from where we fished. We were in the bottom 10 miles of the river fishing for Kings and Chum salmon. My wife caught a 49# King on that trip.

Thanks for the tips guys, Ive been preoccupied, my wife just had our first child, a boy. Looks like if i'm real lucky I could catch 4 out of the 5 pacific salmon. Mike I checked out your web site but could only get the main page. I'll try again. Have not hunted Alaska yet but some buddies and I are thinking about it for next year, I'll keep you in mind. thanks Ryan

When brown bear are a concern camping I would strongly suggest a solar powered electric fencer and associated material. They are very effective here on Kodiak and don't take much room for the peace of mind and a good sleep. You'll have a great trip!

Just returned from the Alagnak, and it was great. Huge rainbows, nice grayling, and as many reds as you can imagine. We did'nt get into the kings but we did see 18 bears, a moose and a wolf and tons of bald eagles, plus some caribou on the fight back to anchorage Great weather again, last two years I've been to Alaska I have not had to use my rain gear, maybe I'll leave it at home next year, Ha. Bugs were awful, A screen bug tent saved the trip. We did use a portible electric fence, and got made fun of by some guides at the put in, but when we got down in the braids a differnt outfitter was using them and said they work. This was a great river and I will be trying it again someday.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom