Alaska caribou?

W

wyoarcher

Has anyone been on an Alaskan caribou hunt that can recommend a great outfitter to hook up with? We are looking for a caribou hunt and maybe an extra tag for something to go along with it? Any information or direction would be helpful!

No Alaska but that a look at Safari Nordik website.

Good Luck

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

Have you considered a DIY hunt? Northern Air Trophy out of Kotzebue is a great transporter that can set you up.

I will check out that website. Thanks Joe.

We have talked about the DIY hunt and that is still an option. I would prefer that actually, however we haven't decided yet. Still in the gathering information mode! I will look into Northern Air. Thanks!

Do a web search for Osprey Mountain Lodge. The Pogany family. By far some of the best caribou hunting there is. They also have moose and some river fishing. I went in '93 and I have some buddies who have gone on a drop camp basis. They'll do fully outfitted as well. I think Atchesons is their booking agent.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

Jeremy Davis out of Port Alsworth Alaska. DIY Caribou hunt. They fly you out in the Super Cub brush planes, and leave you for as long as you like. I have never actually done it myself, but a good friend of mine goes every other year. I have watched a few of his DVD's and am itching to go.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

Get ahold of Eelgrass here on MM as he has done this a few times or maybe once don't remember but he has done it and had a great hunt and got his Bull Caribou and a Giant Kenai Turtle.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

My trip in 2008 was a total disaster with Northern Air Trophies out of Kotzebue. Mike and Julie promised us everything and all we ended up with was an expensive camping trip. No one in my party even got a shot. We had 5 other camps of caribou hunters with 2 miles and we never heard a single shot in 7 days. We was promised a move if we didn't see any caribou after the third day but when we finally got Northern Air to answer the phone they kept saying it was to windy. But we kept seeing planes flying everyday. We was picked 2 days late. Mike and Julie both PROMISED us they would make it right with us and told us to just called them when we got home. Once we got home and called Mike and Julie in October like they said they told us "We can't do anything for you, it isn't our fault you should have hunted harder". Do yourself a favor find someone that you can trust!!! I have been to Alaska 4 times and this trip was by far the worst...

Hey thanks a ton guys! That is very helpful information. good to hear about the Northern air experience as we were looking into them as well as a few others. Are looking into the Osprey outfit now. Will let you know how it goes!

Sagebrush, thanks for the other thread on the caribou hunts. I never did see that one.

I researched for two years before our hunt. The reason I chose Northern Air Trophy was every hunter I spoke with that used their service had a good experience and most of the hunters I spoke with that used a different service said they wished they had used NAT because of the quality of the animals they took versus the animals of the hunters that used NAT. I purposely did not contact the transporters and ask for a referral list. I asked for references over the internet and made phone calls to speak with hunters directly. I figured that was the best way to get accurate information. To be honest, most of the complaints (and there were very few) about any of the hunts had more to do with hunt circumstances rather than the transporters. Weather was the biggest issue, so be prepared for anything. The only weather that you cannot overcome is fog, but the effects of rain, wind and snow can be limited by good gear. You also must be patient with your travel plans. I promise you will have plans go sideways somewhere along the way whether from commercial airline screw-ups or grounded transporters.

I'm not making any judgements, but a lot of hunters see the lodge hunts in Quebec and think that's what caribou hunting is all about. Being flown in ahead of a few hundred caribou and dropped, or being boated in every day, and waiting for something to walk by is far different from flying in 24 hours before hunting and being limited to what your legs can do. If I had the money, I would go one last time and I would book with Northern Air Trophy without question.

Well Sagebrush it sounded like you did your homework just like I did my homework. I heard enough good things about Northern Air to convince me to spend my hard earned money with them. And just like you I started researching caribou trips 2 years prior. I decided for my 30th birthday I wanted to spend it caribou hunting in Alaska. I had several friends that had hunted with them and like you they were successful. I went up there not expecting to have great camps, tons of caribou and an easy canned hunt. I know and understood why they call it hunting but I wasn't prepared for all the lies and dissapointments that was ahead of me. One of factors for us deciding on Northern Air was they said if you weren't seeing caribou they would move us. My 2 buddies never seen a caribou till day 5 and when we called Julie back at the airport she said it was to windy to flag but we seen both planes flying everyday. We was lucky enough to have good weather all but on day 2 but we seen planes flying everyday. We are all experienced hunters and hiked more than 10 miles every day. We know and understand the importance of good optics and we thoroughly used them both our spotting scopes and binoculars. But it didn't matter how much we glassed the fact is the caribou were not there. On the 5th day Mike landed just before dark and left us a bottle of whiskey (which is illegal because Kozebue is a dry town)and told my hunting partner the caribou were staging to the north of us about 20 miles within our unit and they hadn't moved for the last 10 days. My buddy asked him why we were not up there and Mike said he has to many clients in the field to be hauling clients clear up there. About 2 in the afternoon of day 6 we was suppose to call into schedule our trip out and Julie instructed us both planes would be to our camp in about an hour. She asked that we take down camp and move everything about 400 yards south out on the open tundra so the planes could land beside it. At about 8:30 that evening after numerous phone calls back we finally got ahold of Julie and she said the planes would be there in the morning now. I seen 53 caribou nothing closer that 1000 yards on my whole trip. We had 5 other camps of hunters we seen every day and just like us they were coming up empty handed also. Nothing Northern Air told us we could believe. And to top things off when we called them back they told us we should have hunted harder. I spent just over $5000 on my trip not including gear and I started 12 months out carrying a pack and getting in shape for nothing more than a camping trip. Alaska is about the remote wilderness and abundance of game not about seeing other hunters in the field every day and no game, if I wanted that I could have went to Colorado on an over the counter elk hunt for a lot less. If you book with Northern Air don't build up your hopes and dreams of the classic Alaska hunt because you'll be dissapointed...

LAST EDITED ON May-13-11 AT 09:26AM (MST)[p]wyoarcher, my hunt was a long time ago. It was out of Illiamna hunting the Mulchatna Herd. That herd has deminished greatly since then and I don't think the operator is doing that. His name is Mark Kneen. I see now his website is even gone.

I would stronly suggest that you find someone who has trudra tired airplanes that can land where ever the caribou are. This is a huge advantage because they can follow the herd and place you in the middle of them. Lots of operators have float planes and land on water only. This limits the areas you can land and hunt. There may be caribou there and there may not.

Caribou are constantly on the move. They travel up to 18 miles a day. They are not like deer or moose that have a small home range.

This is why I chose Mark Kneen. He kept an eye on the herd and when I arrived we took off in his Super Cub and flew until we had caribou everywhere! Then, and only then, did he find a place to land and set up camp. If you can't see caribou while flying and landing, you're screwed.

I can't stress this enough. If you want to hunt caribou in Alaska pick just about anybody. If you want to kill a carbou, keep looking until you find someone who offers this.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Eel

My brothers and I used Mark in 97. We had a great time and harvested three nice caribou. Mark is an excellant pilot and good guy.Hope he still is operating.

Fairchase

I'm really sorry you had such a poor experience. Anyone that has a sheep on the wall gets my total respect as a hunter. I'm sure you did all you could to make the best of your hunt. My hunt was truly a once in a lifetime deal for me and I knew it going in. I would have been devastated if I spent the money I saved up for this one hunt and had such a bad experience. Amazing how they could drop the ball when they have such a good history. I hope all your future trips make up for your Alaska fiasco.

I also hunted the Mulchatna herd but it was piss poor hunting. I hunted sheep in NWT and saw a lot of mountain caribou.Maybe just save a few more coins and go hunting their.

We hunted unit 23. I guess I had high hopes of everything I had heard about the remote wilderness in Alaska and unforantately this trip wasn't what I expected.

I appreciate all the info, positive and negative! No doubt you would have high hopes in a hunt like this, especially when you start talkin a nice chunk of cash! I just don't want to short us in any way, from expence to pre planning.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-11 AT 10:41AM (MST)[p]Wyoarcher, look into Deltana outfitters! I hunted with them, on a drop hunt and it was a crazy awesome hunt! My partner and I saw thousands of caribou, and each took great bulls. Along with caribou we saw moose, bear, musk-ox, and alot more caribou! Great hunt, and very reasonable!

My two cents worth. I have hunted several times with High Adventure Air and they are great. They have very updated planes and the staff are great to work with. Our first time my brother and I shot 2 bull moose both over the 60 inch mark and three caribou. On my second trip it was for my daughter's graduation and where we first hunted the caribou slowed down after a couple of days and they dropped in and moved us to a new location. We had great hunts both times and shot some nice animals. My daughter killed two and each of the other two guys killed.. I chose not to shoot one because I was holding out for bigger than I had already killed. Greg and Mark Bell are very honest and trustworthy and will tell you the truth and not what a person wants to hear. Give them a call and check them out. Their web site is highadventureair.com Who ever you go with have fun and enjoy the beauty of Alaska. Been there hunting five times and can't wait to go back again.

Ultra,
You need to tell the story about the bullet on the tundra. I think more than a few readers will get a kick out of the unbelievable, yet true, story.

Come on, share.
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom