Alaska Fishing Unplanned Last Minute Advice

eyeman

Looking for advice.
Would it be possible to get a tripped booked on a last minute unplanned trip?
Would they all be booked?
Is it worth a try?
Looking for Halibut or maybe a Halbut/Salmon combo for 2 guys.
Thanks in advance.

100% you’ll be able to book.

Where are you trying to head?

Buddy lived in Sitka and I visited many years in a row.

You’ll be on the salmon and halibut like none other.

Virtually every major fishing port in Alaska has guides that make their living on drop in clients. From people getting off cruise ships for a day, to ordinary tourists that get the urge when they arrive, it shouldn't be a problem to at least get on a party boat unless there is a major event in town on the same day. Even then, arrive early and you should be fine.
Bill

And actually - the best times (and greater ability to keep salmon) is late July and august. More types of salmon to keep

I won’t lie. I’m super jealous of you going up for a quick trip. That’s awesome.

I think next year I’m headed up again. I miss that fresh salmon and halibut to grill

I don’t know who loves salmon more, our wolf pack or us. We save the skins for dog treats
5AB12443-F8A3-47BA-8733-F58CD9B481F7.jpeg

Thanks guys.
One more question.
Looking for something somewhat close to a major airport so drive time would be reduced.

Ketchikan : you land within 1/2 mile of Cedars lodge they will pick you up..no charge. You can walk to the down town area. Sam will pick you up right outside your room. See their web cam, It shows the dock.

We were in Ketchatan yesterday and my wife and son had an amazing 4 hours of fishing. They returned to the ship super happy.
Baranof Fishing

That area is as beautiful as any place on earth. I think you might be disappointed when you catch a halibut if you have not yet caught one. Much like reeling in a heavy dead weight for most of the fight, even the smaller ones. My biggest was 239 lbs and I sincerely wish I had turned her loose. King salmon are my favorite. If I could get around better I would be there right now. GOOD LUCK and let us know how you do.

That area is as beautiful as any place on earth. I think you might be disappointed when you catch a halibut if you have not yet caught one. Much like reeling in a heavy dead weight for most of the fight, even the smaller ones. My biggest was 239 lbs and I sincerely wish I had turned her loose. King salmon are my favorite. If I could get around better I would be there right now. GOOD LUCK and let us know how you do.
I've caught halibut and agree......but I much prefer halibut over salmon to eat.....

If You Get In To A Surplus Homer You Know What I'm Thinkin!

Do To The Captain As I Did When I Was In Alaska!

Do Not Let Him Take You Back To Land Until It's Dark Every Day!:D

Best Of Luck On Your Trip!

This Pond (The Fishin Hole!) Out on The Spit,And It's Not Really a Pond!

I Seen a Guy Hook about an 8-10lb Salmon of some Sort on a Fly Rod & The Guy Got His Ass Kicked!:D

Sometimes You Just Gotta Watch!:D

Hey SS?

We Also Seen a Guy On The Spit Casting Some Big Treble Hooks Out Trying To Snag Em!

You Ever Tried That?

Not Like Snaggin Reds!

Me and my 2 brothers were hanging around the docks at Homer Spit and there was a huge halibut hanging from a scale with lots of people hanging around gawking at it. My youngest brother handed me his camera told me to take his photo. He walked over to it and smiled while I snapped a photo. Cheating bastage.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I'm sure it's in his photo album.

Hey Eel!

We Had People Ask Us if They Could Get a picture By Our Fish!

I Said:

DID YOU CATCH Them?

And Our Fish Wasn't Anything Trophy Size!

But They Didn't Come From The CHICKEN PATCH!:D

Me and my 2 brothers were hanging around the docks at Homer Spit and there was a huge halibut hanging from a scale with lots of people hanging around gawking at it. My youngest brother handed me his camera told me to take his photo. He walked over to it and smiled while I snapped a photo. Cheating bastage.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I'm sure it's in his photo album.

Try Wild Strawberry Lodge in Sitka. Commercial jet service from Seattle. It’s a 10 minute drive from the airport. (They pick you up) Boats are docked about 100 yards away. Not fancy, Just great food and service. Pretty much the same captains every year.

Last edited:
The Kenai River is the place to be right now.

The sonar counts the number of salmon entering the river.

July 25th-120,363
July 26th-195,029
July 27th-146,970
July 28th-123,399
July 29th-137,488

The Kenai River is the place to be right now.

The sonar counts the number of salmon entering the river.

July 25th-120,363
July 26th-195,029
July 27th-146,970
July 28th-123,399
July 29th-137,488
Those are the counts 21 miles up the river fyi.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom