Alaska sheep

jims

Long Time Member
I'm not sure if anyone has heard but Alaska recently changed dall sheep options for nonres. Nonres will only be able to harvest sheep 1 in 4 years. Also, if you enjoy hunting dall sheep with your Alaska relative....you've pretty much been screwed. They just passed a law that only the first in kin OR their Alaska relative can draw a sheep tag in the same year....you both can't draw and hunt together. It's a bum deal for those that enjoy hunting with a brother, father, or other relative in Alaska! Pretty much nothing changed for nonres guided hunters. What's sad is a brother's or relatives won't be able to draw sheep tags and together...but nonres friends can both draw tags and hunt together with a guide.

If you are an Alaska res your draw odds just dropped if you have a nonres relative that applies for sheep....since the resident applicant will be thrown out if the nonres relative draws a tag.

Not a surprising move, given the steady decline in Alaskan Dall Sheep numbers. There are lots more residents now days that are making a yearly trip into the back country for white sheep, and it's getting tougher and tougher to find legal rams. Killing a dall every year is kind of sheep gluttony, in my book.

I'm sure I would care more if I had a relative that called Alaska home, but I'd say one sheep hunt every four years is still a pretty good gig! I love to hunt sheep as much as anyone, but I would much rather see someone who hasn't ever killed a Dall have a chance, than go after another one for myself. But that's just me.

I feel very fortunate for the opportunity to take advantage of the few sheep hunts I've experienced in Alaska! Hopefully the sheep make a come back so the politics slow down and there are more hunters in the field! In lean years everyone seems to want their own piece of the pie. I have a feeling you are right that there may come a day when unlimited tags and killing sheep every year may be limited.

>Not a surprising move, given the
>steady decline in Alaskan Dall
>Sheep numbers. There are
>lots more residents now days
>that are making a yearly
>trip into the back country
>for white sheep, and it's
>getting tougher and tougher to
>find legal rams. Killing
>a dall every year is
>kind of sheep gluttony, in
>my book.
>
>I'm sure I would care more
>if I had a relative
>that called Alaska home, but
>I'd say one sheep hunt
>every four years is still
>a pretty good gig!
>I love to hunt sheep
>as much as anyone, but
>I would much rather see
>someone who hasn't ever killed
>a Dall have a chance,
>than go after another one
>for myself. But that's
>just me.

+1
also,
There are so few of us who could ever take advantage of the resident/relative loophole that you'll find little sympathy here... except to say, we all wish the sheep numbers were better and then none of this would have surfaced. As populations of people go up and sheep numbers drop, more changes will come.
Zeke

do you have something in writing to back this up? I was told the sheep regulations did not pass this year. I don't support restricting NR who are already limited by having to have a relative or pay a guide. the residents are def having more of an impact on sheep numbers than NR.

<"Not a surprising move, given the steady decline in <Alaskan Dall Sheep numbers. There are lots more residents <now days that are making a yearly trip into the back <country for white sheep, and it's getting tougher and <tougher to find legal rams. Killing a dall every year is <kind of sheep gluttony, in my book."

Actually there are about 50% fewer resident hunters today than there was 30 years ago, but nearly the same number of NR. Meaning there are far fewer resident hunters going into the back country each year than at any time in history...

Killing a dall every year? That's funny. A tag does not equal a kill.

Success rate is about 22-24% for all resident hunters. There are actually VERY few residents who go after sheep every year. About 65% of all resident sheep hunters each year are on their first sheep hunt, and another 20% are on their 2nd. Hardly a gluttonous bunch of hunters. Too funny... So at any time when you run into a hunter in the field, there is an 85% chance he's only been hunting sheep one or two times in Alaska.

All those gluttonous resident sheep hunters... meaning guys that have killed more than 2 sheep in their lifetime make up a whooping 3.5-4% of all resident sheep hunters. I'd be willing to bet there are more guys that have replied to this thread who have killed more sheep than 96% of Alaskan residents.

Actually very few residents hunt them every year, and I see absolutely zero reason to limit residents opportunity, just because you "think" they should only get to shoot one every four years. You know what they say about opinions... You don't live here and I could care less what you "think." The residents of AK "think" NR should be limited and they are going to be. The guide gravy train will be up next.

I don't think either of you should be able to kill another sheep. Same goes with trophy deer and elk... or anything else for that matter. You've had enough, let someone else have a chance. Actually, why don't you just quit hunting altogether and save the animals for someone else.

Expect more restrictions on NR in the near future. The rape and pillage is finally coming to a head.

Yes the 1:4 is a done deal, you can check out the summary of findings on ADFG web page. The next of kin sharing their bag limit with resident kin will be delayed a year or two. The board wanted to wait at least a year to allow the guys that have drawn tags to get to use them.

You don't like how AK treats NR, you can always move.

I "think" you got your panties in a wad and took it out on a couple guys who had an opinion to express.
You threw out some percentages but by-and-large it was an expression of YOUR OPINION.....which is certainly fine. That's what a forum is all about.
I hope it all works out for you since generally I pull for all hunters.
Thanks for your opinion. It showed us another side of the issue.
Oh, and we don't vote in Alaska so you can hardly blame us for your wows.
Zeke

Actually what I "think" happened was I called out your jealousy and you didn't like it. Sucks looking in the mirror. How many sheep have you killed?

My apology bambi, since you obviously took my comment personally.
The sheep gluttony I was referring to was directed to those "few" residents who regularly kill a Dall. My comment was also meant to include NRs, who go to your fine state on a yearly basis, guided or otherwise.

My point is, sheep resources are limited everywhere and not just in AK. And since that is the case, I would rather see others get the opportunity to hunt them, instead of those who go repeatedly. I have taken one Dall sheep in the NWT and it is not likely that I will hunt another. I think it's fine to chase all four species, but I am also hoping my grandchildren might have a chance in the future if they are so inclined. Thus, I don't want to take more than my share.

And so you are not inclined to make any more stew on my behalf, you should know that, I have never hunted AK and probably never will. At least you won't have to worry about this stinking NR polluting your space. :)

Look, I'm an aszhole, I admit it. I just don't take kindly to hypocritical points of view. Do as I say, not as I do...

Justifying multiple sheep on the wall because they're different color makes you less gluttonous, I guess?

You both know deep down in your hearts, if you had the means and time, you would hunt sheep every year, and because you can't... the thought of someone else getting to do so, is too much to bear.

Philosophically speaking, what do you consider your share? 1 sheep, 4 sheep, 10 sheep? Does it matter what color? I want to know where I measure up on the glutton scale.

I've zero desire to hunt brown/grey sheep. I'll let someone else have my share. I prefer mine in white.

Let me guess you are sitting out on all the sheep draws this year. :D

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-16 AT 10:31AM (MST)[p]Bambi
Your point is well taken but at least in my mind, I was not being hypocritical. There probably isn't a right answer on how many is too much. But let me try to clarify my position.

I was bit by the sheep bug as a teenager (Jack O'Connor thing), but I didn't actually draw a tag to hunt one until I was 55 years old. I have since been fortunate to take 3 of the 4 North American species. I hunted a Stone's last year but was unsuccessful. I may be done hunting sheep for myself although I would still like a black ram. But you are right. I still apply in other states hoping to win the lottery (which is not likely). Mostly I fill my sheep obsession with helping others, who have gotten a tag. Since taking my first ram, I have been on 16 sheep hunts. So 3/4's of my Ovis experience has been in assisting others.

Unless one lives in Canada, or a special place like you, a sheep tag is pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity. Thus, I guess it seems to some, like me and Zeke, that having a tag each year could be considered somewhat "gluttonous". (probably, a bad choice of words on my part)

The point I was trying to make is, from my perspective, I am OK with limiting over the counter opportunities for any big game species, especially if it allows more people a chance to experience what I have experienced. Where I live, I don't get to hunt even a deer or an elk every year, unless I draw a tag.

I understand your position and yes, if I lived in AK, I would probably have a different perspective.

I am sure if we were on a sheep mountain together we would both enjoy the experience, and no I don't consider you an "Azhole", just a passionate nimrod, like myself.
Happy hunting!

Bottom line is we all want to hunt sheep and like the optic that allows us to to do it...when that optic becomes dimmer it hurts... I have one hunt and ram to my resume and it pains me to think I might not do it again...but just put in my app's please God just one one time...

I pretty much ditto what littlebighorn said, especially as it relates to draw tags.

I drew a desert bighorn tag in AZ and took a great ram in 2014. I have self-withdrawn from the draws for desert sheep in other states. (I still participate in some raffles.)

Brown sheep are rare jewels.I would have zero problem with every draw tag in the Lower 48 for sheep being a OIL tag for that species in each state - heck I would have zero problem with a rule that once you drew a tag for a desert or Rocky, you are ineligible for the draws for that species in EVERY state. They are simply so limited and the demand is so high I'm fine with the opportunities being spread out as much as possible in the draws.

But I'm also fine with raffle/auction tags if allocated responsibly - as the $$$ raised is worth it from a cost-benefit standpoint.

As for Stones and Dalls, my thinking is, if the AK and Provincial G&F departments are doing their jobs, there are enough sheep to go around and the only forces needed to ensure the health of the herds are market forces. If that becomes not enough, then institute a draw system. Again, if there are so limited sheep that a draw system is deemed necessary - I have no issue with the drawn tags being OIL tags or at the very least having long waiting periods for reapplication, depending on the circumstances.

As for the resident/non-resident advantage - I have no issue with residents having an advantage. Which they dang sure do in every state and province of which I am aware. A big advantage. But even residents need to be able to live with some restrictions IMO, especially when it comes to sheep. These do not seem to be the end of the world to me. JMHO.

>this is all a proposal, nothing
>has passed on the matter
>

Both proposals did in fact pass.

See actions to proposals 30 and 51

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-f...a.pdfF24007729E4F957FC733AF8DCC751EC3/soa.pdf

Starting this year NR are limited to 1 sheep per 4 years. And starting sometime before July 1, 2018, the shared bag limit between resident and kin will go into effect. This includes sheep, goats and griz/brown bears, or guide required species.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom