Alaskan Moose photos 2013

llamapacker

I thought I would post some photos of our 2013 Alaska moose hunt. I hunted with a friend, DIY, and we both took very nice bulls. This was a very remote unit, and we flew in to a local village, rented a small john boat, then went 50 miles down river to where we set up camp. I hunted this area previously in 2005, and took a 70" moose not even a mile from where I shot my bull this year. I'll let the pictures do the talking. It was a great hunt for both of us.
Bill

7251737.jpg

5628788.jpg

2746imgp2219.jpg

6582imgp2237.jpg

DIY hunts in Alaska are a lot of work, especially for two "old" guys, but it sure can be rewarding. We shot these bulls 3/4 mile and 1 mile away from the river. Lots of packing, but worth the effort. We love hunting DIY, and won't even consider a guided moose hunt.
Thanks for looking.
Bill

2068816.jpg

6804645.jpg

Bill,
Those are NOT moose. They are MONSTERS!
Well done men, well done indeed!
Thanks for sharing,
Zeke

Are you kidding me??? Those are houses with decks on thier heads...really want to go back and get another moose in Alaska...a DIY type thing..one more time...

GIT...R...DONE!!!!!!

One day I'll have the money and time to do that.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

The pictures are not just talking, they are SCREAMING!!
Great bulls for you both. I'm no expert but they look to be pushing "book" status to me.
Very nice Bill!

Bill-

Those are fantastic bulls! I remember you telling me last year that you and your friend had drawn tags. Congratulations on the experience of lifetime. I dream of doing that some day.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

I've had lots of PM's and questions, so thought I would add a few more photos. Thanks for all the kind words! Not all hunts turn out this well, a fact I'm sure everyone knows very well.
Bill

4538imgp2280.jpg

Starting with the pack out photo doesn't do justice to the processing job. It takes the better part of the day to break a moose down and recover all of the meat, as required by law. You can't skimp here. It is a lot of work for two people.

1207764.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of some live moose I passed earlier in the hunt.

6840707.jpg

6159596.jpg

And finally, just another look at the Alaskan countryside.

9435667.jpg

That is my dream hunt!!! Hopefully my brothers and I can pull off a DIY in a few years. Gives me hope that I can do a couple in the next fifteen or twenty years.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-14 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]Unbelievable!! Thanks for posting those fantastic pictures, that one of you working on the moose is scary!! Did your boat even float after getting those two monsters in there??
Congrats to you both!!

Oregon-
The boat would only hold one moose and one person, with minimal freeboard. We had to make a separate trip out with each moose, and another trip out with camp gear after the hunt. A little more time on the river than anticipated, but I'm not complaining.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom