Albino Turkey

T

Texas_Hunter

We were looking at some property this weekend in Northern Mills County Texas and comign over a hill we saw 1 Albino Gobbler with 6 or 7 hens. The Gobbler was all white with streaks of black feathers and his tail was all white except the tips were the Rio brown and black.

I wish I had my camera with me, any of you guys ever seen anything like this?

Here is a pic of my buddys "jive turkey"
whiteturk.jpg

I see albino turkeys all the time in pens, JJ. Man, that is a cool mount on an ugly bird.
Micheal

I saw a white turkey in eastern AZ. Don't know if it was an albino, too far to see if it had pink eyes, beak or feet. Talked to others who have seen white birds in the area.

Deerking, that mount is pretty close to what I saw. The tail feathers had more color, but the wings and chest area are pretty close.

We don't see that many turkeys driving, usually off of the road is where we see them and this just blew me away.

off color phase is realy quite common.
its not an albino,
in witch case it would not have any color in its eyes or pin feathers.
had a off color living here just across the road from my place about 10 years ago.
she got smacked by a car.
it was cool seeing her, she always had a roaster pheasent with her.
they were screwed up.

I have not seen a "off color" or "albino" turkey, but I have a flock of wild turkeys that come though my yard off and on. Running with the turkeys is a all white peacock that seems to think he is a turkey also. Hey guys! I swear I am not trying to pull your leg.
RELH

I've seen a few white turkeys up in the Kaibab. I didn't think it was that uncommon. I always just thought it was an old turkey.

saw an albino in u1 in Az. it was an albino too, pink eyes. huge old tom too. a friend showed me a flock of real light colored turkeys onces. the hen and all her babies were a real light tan color.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-04 AT 04:32PM (MST)[p] Here is a pic of a white turkey I shot in Sonora, TX a couple of yrs ago. I was sitting on the ground rattling for deer, when a bunch of turkeys came out of the pecans. I did'nt think too much of it because for one, I was deer hunting, and two, I usually like to save my turkey tags for the spring. Anyway, they all came out and this one stood like a diamond in a goat's a$$. I snuck around to get a shot, and missed! Turkeys flew everywere. I watched them fly off,and tried to get back on them. I got about 150 yrds. from them in a mesquite thicket, and set up. As they filed thru an opening, I just waited for the right one. It was one interesting turkey.
scottkendrix31504.jpg

Scottyboy

some freinds of mine had some white turkey and one spring we were at the barn when we heard some gobbleing up the mountan .
all 5 of the hens picked there head up and headed up the hill so i'm sure there are white ones around sundance wy.
they never came back but don't know how much they bred into the local merriam's

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-04 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]Did he look something like this one? This guy probably wasn't a true albino. He was all white except for a black beard. I've since learned that less than 50% of creatures affected with albinism have pink eyes. The area where he's located is fairly remote and there hasn't been anyone in the area who raised domestic turkeys. This was acompletely wild bird. He's currently sitting on my wall looking just about like he does in the pic minus the ladies...

WHITE_TURKEY.jpg

scotty, u can kill turkeys in texas with a rifle?? Thats a good looking bird by the way. I have seen one, dead. A guy down the street got one last year. He brought it by the house and showed me. Hopefully I'll be able to get one, or even a glimpse of one. I have killed 4 so far since march 15th. I have one more to go until i limit out. So i'm going to save it for a monster gobbler. Hopefully after tomorow morning I'll be tagged out.

later, MP

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-04 AT 08:09PM (MST)[p]Yes, you can hunt turkeys in TX with a rifle, but there is'nt a whole lot of sport in it. The only reason that I shot it was the color of the bird.I was actually deer hunting when I shot that bird. Personally, I really like callin' them in real close and let'em have it with a dose of #6's to the head in the spring. I am headed back to TX next Friday (moved to Tucson in Nov.) to go after some boss toms on the same property. After that, I am headed after a grande Axis buck that my buddy has been seeing on a regular basis on his property. I will defnatley be posting a pic if I get that buck!
Thanks for all the nice feedback on the pic on the bird.
Scottyboy

Oh yeah, I did mount that bird , and it looks great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom