Alcova or Pathfinder Res Camping during Antelope???

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
Hello,
I may be putting in for antelope south of Casper this year and was wondering if anyone could tell me anthing about maybe camping at Alcova or Pathfinder.

I have a real small camp trailer I take with me was just wondering about food, fuel or anything you can tell me about these two places as far as camping goes at that time of year. Either one more hunter friendly?? Do they stay pretty busy at that time of year??
Anyway, any info I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks
Frank

I was there this past season.

I found the gas mart type place at Alcova to be closed on Sundays and run by a older gentleman who flat lied to me on every opportunity. Muddy Gap is further South but those folks seemed nicer and i bought my fuel and supplies there without incident.

I stayed over several nights alongside the nice rest area right at Independence Rock. The rest rms were nice and clean, plus it was central to my lope hunting. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info!

Joey

The little store in Alcova is called Sloans. We stop there every year we hunt area 48 for goats. It's not the cheapest place around but if you need something, it is convenient. Have you thought of camping a bit further south? I think there is some public ground near the Miracle Mile and there is also some camping in the Shirley Basin. If you want some pretty views, check out the reservior just north of Sinclair. I forgot what it is called.

Steve

I've stopped at that little store a few times. He is expensive but you don't have a lot of choices if you need something. Camping at the Shirley Basin is an option & it's a great area to see some big elk!!

7 Mag

Thanks everyone, sounds like it will be fine. I don't really need much, just a decent place to pull over that has room for a real small trailer. And maybe if needed some fuel but I can bring enough to get by.

The store has been sold and has new owners. There is plenty of camping at several areas at the lake (Black beach, Cottonwood beach. These have no eletric or water hookups cost is seven dollars a night as it is a County park. you could save a few bucks by camping on the BLM lands

Glad to hear that the store-gas place has been sold! That older gentleman sure acted like he didn't want to be there and didn't care if anybody came in or not! It was a busy place, best for everyone all around!!

Joey

I spent a night sleeping on a picnic table under a shelter at the Wiess <sp?> area at Pathfinder. I think it was around $5 per day. It's ok back there but that is it. Most stuff in the area shut down on Labor Day when I was there the year before last. I can't confirm it but there used to be a camping place over at Jeffery City. I will second the area around Independence Rock is REALLY nice. As is the KOA up at Bar Nunn near Casper. I have a few phone numbers for the area if you want any.

Pat C.

Thanks - that spot by Independence may just be the spot. It would be about right as far as accessing the area I hope to hunt and was a pretty darn scenic spot to boot!!
Now I just have to draw a antelope tag:)

That can be the rub some years. I have not checked the odds up there. I love that band of juniper and red rock around Alcova. Rattlers were REALLY bad south of there this past year . They are green and grey mottled and I guarantee VERY hard to spot even when you are on open ground. Watch up in the tops of the sage as they will also lay up there waiting on a bird to come by.

Pat C.

Pat, You're right that area with the red rock is pretty neat & i also agree with you about the rattlers!! They like to climb up in the sage to get the birds & it scares the crap out of me when you come face to face with one at eye level!! It got to the point i was looking more at the ground in front of me than scanning ahead for antelope.

7 Mag

I sort of thought I ran into a den area where I got hit. There were lots of snakes of several kinds all hanging out in a half or so square mile area on the south facing side of the mountains . I had spent the week or so before up at 8000 to 8500 feet and not seen any ( usually I only see them below 7500 feet anyway ) then BAM after I moved down to around 7300 to 7700 and there was a snakefest ! I have a somewhat new pair of kenetreks that smell crappy after stepping on the one !

Pat C.

Um, you guys aren't messing around are you on this snake thing:)
I hate to say it but when it comes to snakes I'm like a little girl!!! Never really gave the snake thing much though really. Last year I hunted antelope in the snow so not much chance seeing snakes which I like, but I suppose going earlier like September those critters may still be about!!!

I'm DEADLY serious ! and you need to look for them up above where folks ususally think they are. I found a shed at Indep. Rock in 08. Take a look. I got one in a video and if you look at the video I took AFTER I stepped on the one you can see there was about as much cover there for it to hide as there would be on a gravel driveway !

http://picasaweb.google.com/WillyP1956

Pat C.

I killed one last october while it was snowing!! Crazy. Just north of Leo. And another guy on our crew got one a few days later south of Glenrock. Kill them all... A good snake is a dead snake.

Those are great pictures, thanks for sharing. I've not stepped on a rattler but a buddy of mine did down in Alabama several years ago, shot it with his 9mm after it struck him in the leg. Good thing he had his snake boots on as that critter left a nasty bruise on his leg. I was hunting antelope in unit 47 a couple of years ago & the ranch owner's dog was bit right in the nose. It looked like someone hit him with a baseball bat, but he did survive.

7 Mag

>I'm DEADLY serious ! and you
>need to look for them
>up above where folks ususally
>think they are. I found
>a shed at Indep. Rock
>in 08. Take a look.
>I got one in a
>video and if you look
>at the video I took
>AFTER I stepped on the
>one you can see there
>was about as much cover
>there for it to hide
>as there would be on
>a gravel driveway !
>
>http://picasaweb.google.com/WillyP1956
>
>
>Pat C.
Pat,
Those are some great pictures - all except the snake picture and vid!!! Thanks though that looks like some really nice country.
I may have to stay put further north, and later in the season when its colder and no snakes:)

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom