Alert House Bill 149

nmhunter01

House bill 149 has made it out of committee and is currently on the Speakers temporary calender for the floor of the house. This bill contains language on the process of the draw. It dictates the 1st choice first draw sequence. Everybody should call their representatives to KILL THIS BILL!!!!!

Currently we have a true lottery Draw. It is the fairest. No systems, no angles and no preferances, your app gets drawn you have 3 choices in order of most desirable to least and if any 1 of those is availble you get it. YOU GET 3 FIRST Choices Its like Christmas!!! It took me awhile to get used to and I whined too but I now like it. Its fair its efficient.
There is no doubt some of you will disagree. There does need to be discussion. This is what the commission is for. The Legislature has no business dictating that!!!!! Look how long it took them to look at 78/22 and now they f'd it up. We're whiners all of us, if they pass this and we don't like it, when do you think they'll look at it again 10 maybe 15 years? With the commission they meet 10 times a year as a opposed 5 times every decade it can be brought up in the legislature. So to the smart 1 who suggested these to thier legislators thanks alot. PLEASE SEND A MESSAGE TO YOU LEGISLATORS TO KILL THIS BILL.

Gotta say I disagree with you. I do not think somebody should be able to draw a hunt I put in as a first choice with their third choice. This will help the primo unit draw odds. Right now, I might as well put a primo hunt as my first choice. Why not? I have two more choices. If this law goes through, I really have to re-think my first choice. Do I really want to use it for a hunt that I have almost no chance of drawing? Probably not. I'll probably go with a good hunt with better odds.
Now, whether the game commission or legislature should decide this is a different arguement. Really, I could care less who does it as long as it gets done.

This is the best news I've heard Hope it passes!!!!!Anyone who puts a calculator to the odds will see it still gives you way better odds!!!!!

nm taxi,
Wow an arguement against freedom of choice, interesting. Maybe the commision should be dimantled, what need do we have for them, we have the legislature!

I don't like the legislature making our decisions about hunting, but I would love to see this one happen. Maybe not with the legislature, but would like to see this one happen somehow.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-11 AT 11:11AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-11 AT 11:09?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-11 AT 11:08?AM (MST)

We elect the legislature. The commission is appointed. You have more say with the legislature than you do with the commission. We had no say when the commission changed how the draw was done 10 years ago. As long as it doesn't have to do with how the game is MANAGED, I don't see the problem. The commission has been deaf to hunters wants and needs for years. Something needs to happen.

Where exactly does this go against "freedom of choice"?

If I'm not seeing this clearly, please explain and convince me. I'll admit if I'm wrong. I can see it being dangerous if the legislature gets involved with tag numbers and management, but not on these type of issues. We already need the legislature to be involved in a quota for bighorn, oryx and ibex. The only way that can get fixed is through the legislature.

I like it the way it is for what it is worth.

I prioritize my hunts, many people do not think to do it, and it helps me draw tags.

Paul, I prioritize my hunts also, but still have not had much luck in this system.

I used to hunt unit 52 elk every other year. It's a good hunt, but far from a premo hunt. Lots of elk, but not much for trophies. Once they changed the system, I had to compete on my first choice with everyone that "prioritized" and put it as third choice. Now that tag is as tough to draw as a Gila unit.

Just think what this would to the odds on hunts like the muzzie and archery ibex hunts. Right now, it's almost as tough as the OIL hunt to draw, because everybody puts in the same - rifle, muzzie then either nanny or bow. If the draw changes, you put one of those are your first choice, you might actually have a chance of hunting ibex with at least a muzzie once in your life.

That's just my thoughts on the matter.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-11 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]NM Taxi,
These are your own words
Right now, I might as well put a primo hunt as my first choice. Why not? I have two more choices. If this law goes through, I really have to re-think my first choice. Do I really want to use it for a hunt that I have almost no chance of drawing? Probably not. I'll probably go with a good hunt with better odds.
Odds will be a little better for the primo areas as the person who puts in for these areas will more than likely be the person who can afford to go else where for a tag if they dont draw. It is forcing peoples decisions. I am a big freedom buff.

As I said I realize I may be in the minority so be it. The bigger issue is where the decision is being made. Yes we do elect the legislature. But how many of the 70 Reps did you vote for. My point being alot of legislators dont care enough to understand hunting related bills some even despise hunting altogether. The legislature meets once a year and only on 60 day sessions can non budget related bills be introduced which is every other year. For sake of arguement this passes and down the line odds dont improve and everybody says Iwish it was like it used to be. When do you think the legislature will take this up again? could be a couple of decades. While I hear where you are coming from about the commission. Yes they are appointed by the Governor who is elected and approved by the Senate who you also elect.
1 We have more opportunity for recourse with the commission.
2. We can build more of a working relationship with the commission than we ever will with the legislative body.
3. The Commission at least will work to understand the issues as it is their primary job not some small house cleaning bill.
4. Remember there are bills to disassemble the commission and give this authority to a cabinet position. it is a dangerous road that is being paved.
Yes we do need the Legislature for the bighorn rule and the 78/22 rule, but how have these ventures turned out. SB196 has turned into a joke.
My hope is this would stay in the commissions hands and we can have a debate in front of the new commissionors. I dont post much mainly to pm people asking for advice in areas I know. I cant stand the bickering, but NMTAXI I appreciate you demeanor.
Mike.......

You make some valid points. While I still disagree with you on how the draw is conducted, you make a strong arguement on where the decision should be made.

And, as far as my own words, that's exactly how I do it. I prioritize, but my first choice is a premo unit, and my third choice is a hunt that I feel I can draw, and the second choice some where in between. Just like everybody else. Change how the draw is done, and I'll change how I put in. My odds of drawing the "good hunt" go way up with the old system. I really don't see this as a freedom issue.

When the consensus of the voting majority in your state changes, due to a population influx from other states, you'll damn sure wish your Game laws were decided by the Game Commission.

The treehuggers and complacent in eugene, salem, and portland decided we would no longer use bait or hounds to control Bear and Cougar here in Oregon. It will never be overturned.

This would possibly change my mind on applying in NM.

Bob, Washington has the same law and they have a pilot program for hound hunting cougars now. So it can be changed.

California lost the chance to trap with footholds and hunt lions because huge Cities full of stupid people, don't let it happen in your state.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-11 AT 07:09PM (MST)[p]Im all for the law. I wanted to put my son in for a unit 34 cow hunt and figurednit would be an easy draw and he was excited. Then I looked at the draw odds and that cow hunt had a 6% chance of drawing it. All thanks to the current system. Everyone puts primo hunts for 1st and 2nd choices then cows for 3rd choice. Now there's no such thing as an easy to draw tag. Noone can argue with that and this system really screwed up the idea of getting the kids some easy tags to get them hooked on hunting.

Bring on the legislation.

Stinky, Cow tag 3%?????

A youth bull during the rut is 11%.

The youth encouragement hunt is almost 100% for cow in unit 34.

Sounds like you need some help on this.

Deer for the same unit is 41%

Those are all some pretty good odds.

This bill seemed to die here just like it did in the Senate Conservation Committee.

It passed the House with a vote of 61 for to 5 against, but when it moved over to the Senate it never made it out of the Conservation Committee.

It made it there with plenty of time, someone in that committee must have held it up though.

Paul, I did not even look into the youth encouragement hunts. I just got used to the youth hunts in the past always being horrible draw odds and quit paying attention. I put my sons last choice down as the last cow hunt available in december for unit 34. It was about 6% draw odds I think. I do know they were bad.

Now what if I wanted, as an adult, to put in for a cow hunt? You and I both know my draw odds suck cuz everyone puts that down as their last choice.

If you want hunt a cow Stinky, then prioritize and put in for 1st and 2nd choice too. If you want to use it as last chance and get a tag look at different unit,just saying.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom