"all I know is I grew up with a bunch of dead Indians"

Anyone can hunt deer there now. I hunted it last year, you just have to purchase a $5 per day entrance permit and walk in from the north gate. It is an amazing place if you appreciate this type of thing. Waldo and his late brother Don are great guys if you knew them. They didn't have any tolerance of tresspassers however.

The canyon is patrolled by Utah DWR every single day of the year and you can expect to talk to the game warden every day. If they see you it's a safe bet that they'll watch you through binoculars until they can talk to you in person without interrupting your hunt. They'll look at you with a jaundiced eye to be sure you're not a "grave robber" or artifact pillager.

I didn't see a deer until the 3rd day and never did see a buck there, but there used to be some hogs in the area north of the gate which is not open to the public. There are a few good bucks left on top which is all private, but between the poor range conditions and competition with elk its nothing like it used to be. In the 70's Jim Zumbo wrote and article about "Waldo's Wonderful World of Muleys" but that's another story that irritates me to tell. Let's just say there wasn't much bowhunting (as in none period)allowed after Zumbo's trip.

The habitat has really gone downhill and the bucks don't make it down to Range Creek until after the hunting season most years. It needs a good fire or some intensive grazing, but it won't happen because of the archeological value of the area.

It's worth a sight-seeing trip and the brown trout in the creek are numerous and willing if you can find a way to fish it without spooking them. My great uncle stocked the fish there in the 50's when he was the area game warden, and it's where I caught my first fish on a fly rod when I was 10 or so.

There's a chance the state is going to sell it in the near future due to a lack of public interest.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom