All the wrong moves

NMPaul

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-10 AT 10:20PM (MST)[p]This hunt started with on day one, 5 minutes into daylight looking at a 320"-330" bull through the spotting scope about 350 yards away. I decided to pass on the bull because it was so early in the hunt and if I punched the tag on him I would eliminate any chance to kill a monster.
20 minutes later is seemed I made the right decision. We glassed up a monster of a bull sneaking up a shaded hill side from water.
We made the decision to close distance rather than bed him and we ended up in the trees with him and he winded us and he took off and never stopped.
Day one a bust. Zach, Kevin, Jordan and I hiked in 2 hours before daylight to be in position. We were in the right place I just blew it.

Day 2 Zach, Kevin and I again went into another area that we had seen several good bulls the previous weeks during Zach and Kevins hunts and scouting.

Sure enough at daylight we glassed up a real wide bull a mile away and I took off after it. As I closed Zach got on the radio and told me it was a 5x5 super wide but, not what I was looking for. Didnt, matter since they fed over the hill and I could not close the distance.

Day 3 Kevin back at work and Zack back to school. Got up early and hiked into the same spot from the first morning 2 hours before daylight. Again watched a few nice bulls through the spotting scope but nothing I wanted to kill almost 4 miles from my truck. I started glassing a heavily treed hillside and spotted a 5x5 bull. I watched him and sure enough there was a monster with him. I ranged them at 780 yards.
There was a short hill between me and them. I made that hill, but, because it was short I could not see them on the top.. The wind was perfect so I decided to sneak in. Another bad decision. I snuck in ready for a quick shot and when I got to where I knew them to be. I could smell them and see their sign. A bull lunged to his feet 50 yards from me. I could not see his antlers and I did not want to shoot the 5x5. He took several steps and I saw that he was the huge bull, but, those steps took his body into the trees. Again I made a bad decision taking a poorly advised shot through brush at him. My bullet struck tree and he left the state. I was now down in the dumps. 3 days and 2 really good bulls I blew it on.

I decided having 2 days left I was going to hike out, take Zach out of school early and bring a spike camp into the area so I would not have to hike up the mountain in dark almost 4 m iles.
We packed in that evening and saw a few elk that night and heard shots way way in the distance that we later learned were a 374 bull taken by an outfitter friend of mine's client.

Next morning we again spotted some rag horns and cows. we then heard bugles way in the distance. We took off. As we came over the hill I heard elk running. I took a few quick steps and a bull was standing there. He was not wide and not long but, he had long fronts. I could not stop my finger from pulling the trigger though I knew it was a mistake the second I did it. We were over 4 miles from the truck and I told myself I would only shoot a monster this far of a pack out. Well my finger had not read the memo.

These pics were the happiest one's I had. Most I was frowning thinking of the pack out and the mistakes I made.
In retrospect, I am very lucky to be able to hunt these elk with my son and friends. We had some great experiences, we saw lots of bulls and I got some great exercise. I do have my regrets and one way or the other we want to get Mr. Big next year. Wife still has a ranch only hunt the last week of december so we still have a chance this year.
The pack out was one of the worse I had. Khart, actually left work, drove over an hour and hike in to help pack this bull out. You cant get a better friend than that.

Would have been a great bull in 2 years.

2010PaulsBull006.jpg

Zach was pretty fired up. He made 2 solo hikes back to our camp almost 2 miles away by himself while I bone out the bull. Pretty proud of him.
2010PaulsBull002.jpg

2010PaulsBull004.jpg

Khart has some packing out photos to post.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-10 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]Don't sell yourself short man! Great bull! And you definitely earned it. Those outfitter hunters live on a different planet than us DIY'ers. Great job.

How far was the shot? Off hand? Caliber?

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

off hand, 60 yards, 300 win mag. He has nice fronts and that is what my finger saw in that split second.

I would be pretty happy with a mistake like that one!

Hopefully I'll be able to make a mistake like that in just over a week!

Way to go Paul 3 bulls in 3 weeks is very respectful. I hope all the hunters left me a bull for the dec archery hunt. Good luck with the wife's tag.

CONGRATS Paul! Thats a nice bull in any book. Nothing to be mad about there. I would be on cloud 9 plus to have that oppurtunity. I just hope to get a chance at a cow in a couple of weeks. Good job to ALL 3 of Y'all! Y'all make a SUPER team on those elk!!

Smile Paul. :) Even though we saw several bulls that were bigger, there were memories created that will last a long time. We hunted hard and you killed a good bull. Many folks would give their left nut to put their tag on that bull. Congrats.--Kevin

I kind of know how you feel. On my dad's OIL oryx hunt a couple weeks ago I was watching a bull that was in the high 30's when he pulled the trigger on a 31" bull. I was happy for him in that he finally got an oryx, but also kept picturing that big bull that I was expecting him to shoot.

Oh well, he still got an nice oryx, and you still got a bull that would make a lot of people very happy.

Those are really nice fronts on that bull, by the way.

Paul, even at your worst you're still better than me at my best. Much congrats on very nice bull--that left G1 is wicked!

>Paul, even at your worst you're
>still better than me at
>my best. Much congrats
>on very nice bull--that left
>G1 is wicked!

Not even Mozey.

He would have been a cool looking bull in 2 years though.

Congrates: That's not a bad bull.Sorry you didn't get the bull you wanted but this late in the season finding a nice bull that's not broken can be tough. Good job.

Good job buddie.

It sure is fun watching Zach grow up these last few years.

(Sarah shot her first big game animal, an Antelope Buck, this morning here in Wy)

NMPaul,

There should be no regrets in hunting, only lessons learned. I congratulate you on a successful hunt and being able to share it with family and good friends. I hunt solo because I haven't found anyone that likes to hunt the way I do and/or wants to go with me.

You'll find and harvest that monster bull. Have Zach hold your bullets for you next time ; ) j/k!!

MBBGH

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom