All whining aside........best deer hunt in Oregon?

The one where I leave my driveway, head out to eastern Oregon...and keep on going until I get to Colorado. The best deer hunt in Oregon is probably on some private, managed property where access is controlled and coyotes are shot on sight. The unit probably doesn't matter much,

Rich

Sad, but your probably right!

But there has to be one or two hunts, west or east that are above the rest. Late archery? Muzzleloader? general rifle on private timberland/controlled access?

the one i'm applying for? :0

in all honesty- if someone cant make ANYTHING out of the hunting in oregon, their probably not doing justice to the tags their drawing out of state either.

a hunter is a hunter, no matter where their at. you cant "not find anything" in one place and "hit gold in another"

i hope to draw a se metolious tag- maybe beulah, maybe southeast whitehorse, and maybe troutcreeks, maybe steens. i know for a fact in each of those units i WILL be hunting 165"+ bucks. and if you look at the stats, thats above average in any state.

make the most of a bad situation, i'm not ready to hug trees just yet..........

MY PICKS FOR THE BEST DEER HUNTING IN OREGON, in order-
#1 applegate muzzleloader
#2south coast( biscut fire)
#3 douglas county (roseburg,glide,tiller area)
Forget east oregon mule deer for now I think the best deer hunting is on the west side for Blacktails, untill something changes and mule deer numbers start coming back.

I don't think they're going to recover on their own, we haven't had a deer killer winted since the early 90's so what's going to change? there are less deer now than after the last die off. I used to have hundreds of deer in my hay fields now maybe a few dozen.

The best units are the late hunts and it's not because they're good units it's because of the time of year. the NE Whitehorse can be good, but it's from deer coming in from Idaho, how sad is that you need non resident deer to cross so you have something to hunt. as far normal season hunts go I'd say Lookout Mountain , but it's got lots of private land.

I may not hunt for 5 years but No Thanks on the west side blacktail. I'll go duck hunting.

I listed the applegate muzzy hunt #1 - it is a late season hunt, bucks are coming down low & starting to rut.
I listed the so. coast biscit fire area as it's becoming a hot spot for good bears and also deer numbers are going up & up, ( from a reliable person at OHA )
TILLER, CANYONVILLE, GLIDE, ROSEGURG, has always been good to me.

Blacktails are just a mule deer with a little different color,
but the same animal none the less.
I TO would rather hunt up in the n.w. corner, and have done so many times- starky unit,near LaGrande was a favorite for many years, back when my best freinds dad owned a cabin near Meacham- have had many good hunts up there, deer and elk.
Also done some hunt'in around Monument,John Day, Prairie City,Fossil,Steens Mtn. Lakeview, Burns, and Seneca.
So I know how you feel about staying in your local area that you know so well.
I am in so. or. ( Medford ) and this is my local hunting area,and I'm just saying, it's not so bad around here!

There is no arguing with knowing every rock, brush pile, saddle, etc. in any given unit! If you know it intimately, chances are you will do well!

hey that late seasone archery blacktail hunt can seriously be a great hunt. look at some of the benchlegs that get killed. you could hang some in a group of nice mulies and theyed fit right in.

I think NE. Whitehorse muzzy hunt, if you get the weather, it is incredible. If no weather, it is just another Oregon hunt, in a small area, with a couple bucks in the 160's taken.

Don't know anything about the west side.

I'd agree that something on the west side during late season. Also, the white river late rifle tag has seen some massive bucks hit the ground. The west side is tough hunting but can be very rewarding. Where I'm at I've seen fewer deer each late season but there are still some nice ones out there, just fewer of them. Use to see tons of does, now only a handful.

Back
Top Bottom