Allowing a hunting show to film?

nv_hunter

Very Active Member
So I was asked by a popular hunting show if they could film my Bighorn hunt this year for a DVD and upcoming episodes. At first I was excited but now im not sure I want a bunch of cameras following me all over the mountains. I am worried that it might take some away from the hunt. What would you do if someone asked to film the hunt? I havent talked details with them but I assume there isnt any compinsation or swag involved.

I wouldnt do it. Us as hunters sometimes we need to keep some hunting areas to ourself. You never know though, it might be fun and your cup of tea but it might not. If its on film everybody is going to see where you are hunting.

First thought I think it would be cool to have the camera's along to help with the memories. After thinking about it though, like you not sure I would want them there. Too much of trying to get good video, waiting for camera guys, trying to sneak with 3, 4 maybe more guys following you. Too much to go wrong in my opinion... Personally, I would say no and enjoy the tag.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Abe,
One of the things that would concern me would be the camera light vs shooting light. It would be pretty shitty to get put in the position on the hunt of a lifetime where they are asking you not to shoot at first light/ last light.

LMK the dates, If I am not up in MT I might be able to tag along and film/ glass/ pack. At least capture some of it on film.

Hof

How Bigga Check they gonna Cut you for that?

"Can you Imagine Somebody watchin everything you do"?

This is the USA where people get paid to watch people that are watchin you!

By the Way?

What kinda Weapon you using?

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

Nv_hunter. I can only speak for myself but, I apply for hunting tags in the hopes of getting the tag, for a hunt I will enjoy. The memories are for myself and CLOSE friends and family. You might ask yourself why you applied for the hunt in the first place. My guess is it wasn't to be on a TV show. Just my thoughts, good luck on your decision. And GOOD LUCK with your hunt!

I wouldn't do it. I used to work for an organization that had their own TV show. I was part of filmed hunts twice and it was no fun. It turns something that is fluid and natural into a production. The sun had to be right, you couldn't shoot until enough footage was shot and just too many bodies and opinions on how to hunt.

No way! I'd be doing whatever video and photography I could do on my own and hope that maybe I have a friend or two along to share the memories, not the entire US!!!

I wouldn't do it. I had some TV guys filming on our property last year. They were super nice guys and fun to be around, but they were filming everything. Like everyone else said, you may miss a shot because they aren't ready to film or not enough light.

I think it would greatly depend on what show you are talking about, and also if they always film a sheep hunt up where you are hunting this year...

Maybe there are some circumstances that might entice me into it, but without significant compensation of some sort, I'd be inclined to say "no" I think...

Plus, for me, I'd rather have my family with me than a camera crew.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

If it were only one guy with a camera, it might not be so bad. But if they are sending a whole crew in there...no way. I would try to self-film as much as I could instead.

Seems kinda lame that they are so desperate for material, that they would prey on someone else's good fortune.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

You will regret it is my opinion. I had a couple guys filming a turkey hunt for some Cabela employees I took out in 2008. It was a real pain as they started out alright but before long were directing shots location etc., not a good experience for me then they didn't use the footage.

Have someone close to you that is good with camera skills film it, then sell them the footage.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

We did it on a tule elk hunt and hardly knew the guys were there.

The only bad part was after the hunt when they had us reenact the scenes they needed to make it look more like a real movie. That took up a LOT of time.

The Eastman people film many hunts and they don't seem to have a problem with it.
If it is for commercial use.......money will be involved, be careful what you sign.

A smart guy might also contact some manufacturers for product exposure.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

This is a good question nv_hunter. Something you will be glad you asked for opinions before you just said "yes." I've been producing an outdoors show for almost 7 years now, have gone on many hunts and have also guided hunters who had a production crew along while we hunted elk. Most of the hunts I've filmed have been with friends who were fortunate to draw a tag and know what expectations I have when recording a hunt.

Here are a few things I talk about with my friends before we hunt.

1. The "crew" should never interfere with your hunt...period. I'm the only one who goes on hunts. I don't send my producer, he doesn't have the experience afield, doesn't hunt and at times doesn't know when it's appropriate to talk or not move. You don't need nor do you want 2-3 people following you, making it sound like a herd of elephants while making a critical stalk you've waited years to try.

2. If there is ever a situation where you have to go alone, then the camera stays put...period. Again, this is YOUR hunt, they are YOUR guests. The "crew" should never direct anything. They are there to witness, not interfere.

3. Things happen on hunts that you or I don't necessarily want to show on tv. If you do decide to do this, you should have an understanding that if something goes wrong, then you have a voice on how the story should be told or if it should even be told at all.

I go first and foremost to be with my friends and to tell a good story. I also try to be an asset on the hunt. Whether that is glassing a hill, checking out a drainage, sizing up a buck or making breakfast. This hunt is something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Do you trust this outfit? Do they have the appropriate credentials? Does having the hunt on tv diminish or add to your memory? Will the crew be an asset or a bother on the hunt? These are questions only you can answer. I hope this helps....fstop

Well said Adam, I'd hate to lose a shot at a once in a life time critter because the camera man wasn't ready or the light wasn't right. Also what if it's not a clean kill?

I had a hunt filmed last year and I didn't really care for it. I'm not sure I would do it again.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

At first, it sounds kinda cool, but after thinking it through, I think you will say no. Why do we try to take the biggest horned citter we can? The meat will not be any bigger or better. It's to feed our ego, our sense of accomplishment, to know we have outsmarted a mature animal or taken a specimen larger than other hunters have. Having your hunt filmed and aired on a cable network feeds into that ego trip but it won't add to your experience. In fact, it very well could detract from your experience.

I would say no, I was asked when I drew a sheep tag in '11. At first it sounded exciting, but I wasn't sure about having complete strangers around on my Once in a lifetime hunt. I didn't do it, I ended up doing the entire hunt solo, I have no regrets. It's hunting not Hollywood.

Any of these Films ever have to be EDITED?:D

I'm with the guys that say have a friend along and film it for yourself. May not be the same quality as the camera crew but you can get pretty good quality out of a small point and shoot video camera now days for pretty cheap.

Let us know what you decide and why!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the input guys! I have also received some great PM's from guys in the film industry. I haven't decided what to do yet and prob wont until I know everything involved. I don't expect to be paid but would love to know if the sponsors let you keep the gear or any other perks involved.

My first question would be: how much are you going to make off my hunt? The second question would be: what's my cut? If there was some decent pay, I'd say let me think about it. Otherwise I'd say go pimp someone else...

>My first question would be: how
>much are you going to
>make off my hunt?
>The second question would be:
>what's my cut? If
>there was some decent pay,
>I'd say let me think
>about it. Otherwise I'd
>say go pimp someone else...
>

Exactly what tripleBB said. They will be making money. You should too. Its your hunt. No money, no show.

>Thanks for the input guys! I
>have also received some great
>PM's from guys in the
>film industry. I haven't decided
>what to do yet and
>prob wont until I know
>everything involved. I don't expect
>to be paid but would
>love to know if the
>sponsors let you keep the
>gear or any other perks
>involved.

I heard they let RIMROCK wear a Shirt for a few minutes but they demanded the Shirt back!

You are a seasoned hunter who can work through the logistics of a stalk with extra person hiking beside you.

As for the money....

The tag is your instrument and the hunt is the concert. Would you show up to play a concert where someone else keep all the ticket money then they place the video of the concert on TV and keep all the ad money and then sell the concert DVD and keep all the money and then put the concert on YouTube and keep the ad money?

If you are stoked that someone wants to film you hunting and are content to participate for only the love of doing what you do then more power to you. This is your hunt. Just understand that some money is being made in part because of your efforts. They are not a non-profit.

What should be a lifetime hunt for YOU is going to be changed into something entirely different if this turns into letting strangers go on YOUR trip to make a a bunch of money and that goes whether you get a part of the profit or not. If you're remotely happy with that big chnage, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd be doing it just the way you have probably envisioned it ever since you started putting in for the tag. One thing you need to remember is that they aren't doing this for you, but for a profit for themselves and I can envision who wold be calling the shots once the trip got going regardless of what you mifgth be told beforehand. Good luck on your trip and whatever you decide I hope you kill a biggun!!!

I had the right guy with the expertise filming my elk hunt in 2006. I can pull out Extreme Bulls 4 and relive my hunt anytime I want to. Steve Chappell filmed my hunt and we are great friends o this day! I would do it again, but you'd have to have the right guy filming! Good luck!

Considering your second thoughts, I think you should film it yourself (FIY). By this I mean either with a friend(s) or solo. You never know how the hunt is going to turn out or what is going to happen. Then it is up to the show as to what gets seen and how it is put together. Could turn out to be a bad memory.

I was set to be a host for a show, then they started throwing cooking and conservation segments at me. No thanks as I don't think this is what hunters want to watch. Personally, I would rather show my videos only to friends and family, but I am trying to sell FIY products, so I do what I have to.

I would document your hunt - not make a show. If you want to share the final art, you can upload it. If you want to make money on it, you can monetize it through YouTube. This will make a much better memory of a once in a lifetime hunt. Good quality HD cameras are inexpensive these days and are very small, light, and have awesome zooms important for western hunting.

Congrats on the tag!

Chris Jackson
www.SolvidSystems.com[url/]

Hell yeah I would do it! Then, when I shoot one bighorn in this drainage and see an even bigger one the next drainage over, I can shoot that one too and they can film both hunts and market them as different years or different states. Double up on it!

"Pics or it didn't happen!"

NO WAY!
Sheep hunting means way too much to me to throw it around like a photo of a cheap pin-up girl!

It has NOTHING to do with the money and EVERYTHING to do with the experience, for me. I just don't see how adding a bunch of strangers to the mix would enhance the hunting experience.

Logistics aside, the added personalities would sour it for me!

Do what you want but let us know if you decide to do it so we can watch it on TV.

Zeke

PS: To some guys hunting is just hunting but to me it's a special experience to be shared by those in a tight circle of family and friends.

Jim Sessions,who now works with Long range hunting filmed my wife's desert sheep hunt. Great guy never knew he was there,another good set of eyes, good hunter, many of you have probably seen his films. We now have a great film of her hunt best film of bullet travelling over to the ram I have seen. No we didn't pay for this, didn't get nothing for the hunt except great memories. Money isn't everything guy's.

I'm a little confused about something. Do these film people actually have to be right on top of you to get a quality hunt filmed? I mean with today?s camera equipment cant they be on the next ridge over, say you left them where you spotted the rams in the first place? And then couldn't you go over a plan with them as to how you would make your approach and have them film from there or same distance but different angle if need be??

Seems to me the new cameras can zoom in super close and super steady. If it's a spot and stalk they should be able to cover that stalk at really great distance and make it seem like they are right on tip of you. I think if I was considering a camera crew to film it I would stipulate to do it from a good distance so you could still get the DIY feeling and gratification and you wouldn't have anyone screwing up your hunt. Any screw ups/blown stalks would all be on you as it should be. Am I off base here?

GBA

The question is did you put in for the tag to enjoy hunting and to harvest a once in a lifetime animal (Big Horn) and enjoy time with friends and/or family on a great hunting trip? Or did you put in to draw the Bighorn tag to make a profit????

Sounds like you were expecting to make a profit from your tag. In that case I hope your days are filled with endless hours of hiking, no sucess, and hopefully your bladder bag gets a hole in it and you get lost for most of one or two days and walk around thirsty. Maybe even a mild bear attack leaving you slightly maimed would serve you right.

Honestly, I assume there are plenty of good guides around that don't film their own hunts that the "popular hunting show" would contact if they needed good coverage of a Bighorn hunt (and probably in a different state where there is an abundance of Bighorn Sheep where a person can hunt more than 1 Bighorn in their life). Im guessing you probably contacted them to see if you could get compensated for letting them film your hunt and when you found out they won't pay you anything for the footage you are questioning whether dragging extra people around is worth your 10 minutes of fame. Shame on you if this is the case. They don't post hunters info with the draw results anymore to avoid guides, huting shows, etc from calling every person with a good tag in hopes of getting thier business so Im leaning more toward my theory on this one. Hopefully I'm wrong?

Good luck if I'm wrong.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-13 AT 09:10AM (MST)[p]If I was going to do it I would want the show to appeal to a wide range of audience, not just the hunting community. I would have it done more like today's reality shows.

Here are a couple suggestions as to how the hunt could go:

You could start out by losing your tag. Then 5 minutes before you leave for the hunt your wife finds it in the garbage can where it accidentally got tossed. Then you discover that it wasn't an accident at all. Your wife confesses that she joined PETA and hates hunting.

Then you could have it where your best friend is bringing up his travel trailer for you to camp in and he fails to show up on time. You send a party out to look for him only to discover he was arrested on a drug charge. He's married and his wife won't bail him out, so his girlfriend does, but only if she can join the hunt with him. At this point you have no choice but to agree.

Then you have to fire a camera man because he takes up with your friends girlfriend.

You spend the first two days hunting only to discover your GPS was off and you were in the wrong unit, so you have to move 40 miles to the correct unit.

Finally on the last day of the season someone spots the Ram of your dreams and runs all the way back to camp to get you. You have a bad case of food poisoning and can't get out of your sleeping bag, so your friends have to drag you up the mountain and you finally shoot it with 3 minutes of legal shooting light left!

Eel

You Wound one Single Sheep & You're done!

It'll be on Film & there's no way You'll get away with Shootin another Ram!

Just Sayin..................!

Somebodies gotta RAZZ your AZZ Abe!:D

So?

I take it We'll have to pay to see your Hunt?

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

Ell that's a great show and after a few seasons Ive had It might not be fiction!

Bess I expect nothing but a good RAZZIN from your old *ss!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom